Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/27/2016 3:15 pm  #21

Re: Joshua

Joshua 14

14:12 So now give me this hill country of which the LORD spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the LORD will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the LORD said."

Courage, he was willing to step out and go and do battle regardless of the outcome.

This reminds me of Esther when she determined to do what was right and said, “If I perish, I perish.”

It is hard to have courage to do things that we know are right, but may end in pain, suffering, persecution, or death. But, we must learn to obey God and trust His sovereignty regardless.

Last edited by TBG (9/27/2016 3:16 pm)

9/27/2016 3:26 pm  #22

Joshua 15

15:14 And Caleb drove out from there the three sons of Anak, Sheshai and Ahiman and Talmai, the descendants of Anak.

15:63 But the Jebusites, the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the people of Judah could not drive out, so the Jebusites dwell with the people of Judah at Jerusalem to this day.

Could not? I wonder why. We know God wanted it and that it later happened. Was it not happening now because of unbelief, laziness, disinterest, comfort? Or was it just not God’s timing. Or was it just one of those things that is a process.

If God ordained them to do this, we know this much, they should have continued in prayer and in seeking God and continuing to attack. We must also not grow weary in doing good for in due season we will reap if we don’t grow weary. (Galatians 6:9) We must continue to step out and act even when it seems that we are not accomplishing the task. Just make sure we do so prayerfully and with discernment.

9/28/2016 9:10 am  #23

Joshua 16

16:10 However, they did not drive out the Canaanites who lived in Gezer, so the Canaanites have lived in the midst of Ephraim to this day but have been made to do forced labor.

Compromise. God said to drive them out. Instead of driving them out, they used them for their own service and convenience.

Compromise ultimately leads to their downfall as the Canaanites draw their hearts away from God and draw them into idolatry.

Do we compromise? Instead of obeying God or removing temptations do we focus more on our convenience and comfort? Do we serve ourselves over God?

9/28/2016 9:26 am  #24

Joshua 17

17:12-13 Yet the people of Manasseh could not take possession of those cities, but the Canaanites persisted in dwelling in that land. Now when the people of Israel grew strong, they put the Canaanites to forced labor, but did not utterly drive them out.

I wonder, God gave later gave them strength, yet, they still did not use this strength for His purposes.
They lingered in compromise, lingered with temptation, and dabbled with sin.

Do we linger with compromise, linger with temptation and dabble with sin.

17:16 The people of Joseph said, "The hill country is not enough for us. Yet all the Canaanites who dwell in the plain have chariots of iron, both those in Beth-shean and its villages and those in the Valley of Jezreel."

They just did not have hearts of faith even in the face of all that they had seen God do. They just kept looking at the barriers and risk and fear and could not, just could not trust God’s power, even though they had seen it.

In some ways, this is so sad. But, do we not do the same? We have seen God work in our lives to comfort us, to guide us, to hold us, yet we don’t have hearts to believe He can get us through the next trial, the next hurt, the next heartbreak.

17:17-18 Then Joshua said to the house of Joseph, to Ephraim and Manasseh, "You are a numerous people and have great power. You shall not have one allotment only, but the hill country shall be yours, for though it is a forest, you shall clear it and possess it to its farthest borders. For you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have chariots of iron, and though they are strong."

God had given them the power, but they needed to act in the strength of this power instead of doubting and focusing on their own physical weakness. They needed to conquer and claim what God had given them.

God has given us the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the same power that raised Christ from the dead, the power that called the universe into existence.

Yet, we live focused on our natural, human weaknesses and allow them to dominate our minds, thoughts, and hearts.

We don’t focus on God and on His transformative power to take authority of all things and root out the things in our lives and to conquer and transform our lives.

9/29/2016 10:07 am  #25

Joshua 18

18:3 So Joshua said to the people of Israel, "How long will you put off going in to take possession of the land, which the LORD, the God of your fathers, has given you?
18:4 Provide three men from each tribe, and I will send them out that they may set out and go up and down the land. They shall write a description of it with a view to their inheritances, and then come to me.

O: Were they fearful, or content? Why? God had ordered this, but hey put it off and delayed obedience. They did not consider it urgent; it seemed to be no big deal. I think they may have just been too content because it says in verse 1 that the land was subdued; so, perhaps they lived at ease.

God had given this land to them. It was His will, and His direction. So, Joshua called them to act – to take action. He said to go in and take possession. They had legal title or ownership, but they did not take possession.

But he did not call them to act recklessly or rashly. He called them to act in a planned, measured and organized manner.

A: God is calling us to live sold out lives, to live for God and not ourselves. God calls us to obey, obey now, don’t negotiation, barter, procrastinate, or put off obedience.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: The people had become comfortable with their current condition so they were not doing anything to claim what was theirs. Do you find yourself too comfortable to fulfill the plans that God has for you? How can you work towards fixing that today?

Oh, that hurts. Of course, we are struggling right now with how much to take on because it would interfere with our comfort and freedom. So, praying hard about this one right now.

9/29/2016 10:27 am  #26

Joshua 19

19:47 When the territory of the people of Dan was lost to them, the people of Dan went up and fought against Leshem, and after capturing it and striking it with the sword they took possession of it and settled in it, calling Leshem, Dan, after the name of Dan their ancestor.

O: I wonder why they lost their territory. We keep seeing that they were unable to take it, or could not drive them out, or they lost it. Maybe different things are going on, sometimes a lack of faith, sometimes disobedience. But in this case they were able to take the new land, so maybe not lack of faith.

It seems sometimes God just has a longer journey to get us to the ultimate plan. This land belonged to them; they had legal title, but they were not going to possess it yet, for whatever reason.

Life is a process and journey. We just have to keep trusting God and keep acting on faith in wisdom and prayer.

It must have been confusing to have something lost to them that God had promised. IT would have been easy to ask why, what is God doing?

A: Our hearts hurt when we have things that it seems God was leading us to or blessing us with lost to us.  We question, Lord, did you not say that you would take care of me, did you not call me to this?

But, we must trust God’s sovereignty and power, We must keep acting on faith, keep prayerfully moving forward in obedience, and keep seeking wisdom, and keep seeking God’s will.

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law. Deuteronomy 29:29

If we don’t know why, that is because it is not our place or within our authority to know. But what has been clearly show to us, that we are responsible for doing.

10/02/2016 5:58 pm  #27

Beneath this reading assignment post you can post your discussions and SOAKs.

Week of October 3
This Week’s Reading Assignment
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Joshua 21
Verse of the Day: Joshua 21:45
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Through their journey had been long. God delivered on His promises to His people. How does this bring you comfort as you are dealing with your current battles?

Tuesday
Reading: Joshua 22
Verse of the Day: Joshua 22:5
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Now that the people are all settled in, it was important to remind them to continue to love God with all their heart and to continue to follow His commandments. Has your heart been tempted to stray? How do you stay focused on God throughout the day?

Wednesday
Reading: Joshua 23
Verse of the Day: Joshua 23:3
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Temptation is always around us. Yet is important not to allow our temptations to get the best of us. How do you combat your temptations? Do you have a special friend you can talk with or maybe a special Bible verse that keeps you on track?

Thursday
Reading: Joshua 24
Verse of the Day: Joshua 24:15
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We are reminded we cannot serve two masters. Is there something in your life that is standing in the way of you serving God fully today? Make that change today!

10/04/2016 7:54 am  #28

Joshua 20

20:2-4 "Say to the people of Israel, 'Appoint the cities of refuge, of which I spoke to you through Moses, that the manslayer who strikes any person without intent or unknowingly may flee there. They shall be for you a refuge from the avenger of blood. He shall flee to one of these cities and shall stand at the entrance of the gate of the city and explain his case to the elders of that city. Then they shall take him into the city and give him a place, and he shall remain with them.

I kept looking at these verses and asking myself, “what does this tell me about God?” God did get angry at Israel and sometimes threatened to wipe them out. But God says the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God (James 1:20).

Here God does not want someone acting out of anger to get back at another innocent person who accidentally hurt them. Yes, it is painful to imagine your loved one being killed, but if it was really an accident where there was no negligence or animosity involved, it is really is just a tragic accident and no one is at fault.

God could have just said that if anyone tried to kill the innocent manslayer, he himself would be killed, or some other even worse punishment, he and his family, etc. He could have tried to come up with some large punishment or deterrent.

Perhaps he knew man’s anger would be too strong when someone was hurt and that angry. Then if God had to punish that person too, it just expands the hurt and death and makes a tragedy even a larger tragedy.

It seems this way allows for the protection of the innocent, and review to determine guilt, and a cooling off time for the family member of the dead person. It seems to be a wise and compassionate approach that minimizes addition pain and suffering.

This makes me think of God’s absolute holy standard, but also to be reminded of His tender love and patience with us in our weakness. It shows me His desire to protect us and His desire that we live in harmony with others.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: God appointed a place of refuge for those who killed a man without intent. This was his hiding place, from the avenger. How does this remind you of Jesus and how He cares for us?

God is not surprised that we are weak and that we are prone to fail. He is understanding and patient with us. But, He has also made a way for us. This time instead of a city to physically protect us from our actions, He has shed His blood to provide for our protection from the penalty of our sins. He has also made a way to strengthen our weaknesses but sending the Holy Spirit to dwell in us to give us His strength and wisdom instead of our own weaknesses.

10/06/2016 12:11 pm  #29

Joshua 21

Interesting to note that all the cities of refuge where given to Levites.

21:43 Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there.

God was faithful to give all He had promised. They possessed the land.

21:44 And the LORD gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their fathers. Not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the LORD had given all their enemies into their hands.

After the fighting, God gave them a time of rest and refreshing.

He promised to protect them and give them peace, and He did. He delivered their enemies to them; He conquered all.

21:45 Not one word of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass.

Everything God promised to do, He completed. And, yet, we will see that Israel is still unfaithful. I guess they wanted more or different things. Or were too focused on the things around them to keep their eyes on God.

We can always trust in God’s promises. But we should study the Word to make sure we understand His promises.

I don’t believe He ever promised to give us an easy life, but He did promise His peace, His eternal hope, His presence, His power, and His comfort. He did promise that He would not give up on us or reject us for our weaknesses. He did promise that He would continue to finish the work He has set out to do in our hearts and lives.

But sometimes we are so focused on the pain, hurt, and trials around us that we cannot focus on God and His promises. The pain of the immediate, or even just the desires and distractions, make us shift our focus from the spiritual to the temporal and we don’t embrace the power God has given us to stand during the trial.

As Israel possessed the land, we possess every spiritual blessing. We posses life and the power of the Spirit of God Himself living in us to live a holy, set apart, obedient, life, a life that reflects Christ and to let the Spirit live through us.

Although we have legal title and we legally possess it, we fail to take possession and live within the land we possess. We do this when we fail to obey God and to follow His command, when we fail to drive compromise and sin out of our lives, when we fail to keep our focus on Christ, when we fail to live to glorify Him, when we fail to learn and know Him and to love Him.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Through their journey had been long. God delivered on His promises to His people. How does this bring you comfort as you are dealing with your current battles?

I have confidence that Christ is the author of my faith. It is He who generated and caused it to be. And He will be the finisher of my faith. It will be Christ who completes His work in me and His plan for my life.

Board footera