Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2016 1:06 am  #11

Re: Mark

These are the scriptures that stood out most to me from last week. I'm loving rereading Mark as it makes me ponder my faithfulness. I succumb to the worries, pressures and stresses of life all too quickly without really using my faith. God help us to maintain  a strong and restored faith and remain carefree about life.

“Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, t“Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭3:33-35‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced. And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭4:18-20‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/mrk.4.18-20.nlt

“And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭5:34‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/mrk.5.34.nlt

3/14/2016 8:13 am  #12

Mark 5

5:5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.

Observation
Why would the demon do this? What could he gain by cutting the guy? It is as if it just had to try to destroy, attack and wreak violence. It wanted to destroy this man just for its own appetite.  We see what happened to the swine the demons possessed in verse 13.

Application
This reminds me of 1 Peter 5:8, Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

We need to remember that Satan wants to destroy us as well. When we are temped, when we grow weak in the faith, when we allow other things to distract us and become more important than walking with God these things destroy our intimacy with Him, destroy our joy, destroy our testimony, destroy our fruitfulness, destroy our purpose, destroy our families and can even destroy our souls.

5:6-7 When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. And he cried out with a loud voice and said, "What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me."

Observation
He worshiped Him. He knew and believed, yet the demon is not saved.

Application
We must go beyond intellectual assent. We believe the truth, yes, but have we crucified ourselves and submitted to God and follow Christ? Are we disciples? Do we love God as shown by our desire to obey Him?

This is where I was when I was younger, I believed, and I knew the Bible well, but I was not submitted to the Lordship of Christ in my life.

Let us not deceive ourselves, if we are walking in a daily pattern of unrepentant sin, we likely are not saved. It does not matter if we believe it is true if we have not repented and become regenerated by the power of the Holy Spirit. Note I said pattern of unrepentant sin, I know we will all still make mistakes until God ultimately delivers us from the presence of sin. But daily patterns of unrepentant and deliberate sin are different.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Are we involved in sexual sin even if just in our minds, do we worship other things ahead of God (idolatry), are we consumed with coveting worldly possessions? If these are the things that typify our character, we need to check ourselves and not be deceived that all is well.

If this is in our past or if we struggle, we need to be encouraged because God has washed us and called us, and justified us by His Spirit because of His great love for us.

5:18-19 And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, "Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you."

Jesus wanted the people to know 2 things about God (1) God id great, (2) He loves us.

How we long to go and be with Jesus, but we need to stay here in this foreign place to tell people about the Lord.

5: 34 And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction."

She believed that Jesus could free her.

Do we have faith to be healed? Physical healing does not always take place on this earth, even the apostle Paul was not healed of his thorn in the flesh. Do we believe that Jesus has ultimately healed us? Do we believe Jesus has set us free, that we do not have to live under bondage? We don’t have to be ruled by our flesh, no, we choose to let our flesh rule. Christ has freed us if we have faith to receive the freedom and stop accepting bondage.

3/15/2016 7:28 am  #13

Mark 6

6:3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they were offended at Him.

They were respecters of persons. Jesus was not elite enough to have the nerve to teach them. What were His credentials anyway?

We still see this today. Man looks at the world’s standards for who should lead, even in the church, instead of evaluating if the person has the wisdom of God and is being led by the Holy Spirit.

6:23  He also swore to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, up to half of my kingdom."

She was so vengeful that she gave up so much other wealth and honors in order to kill John. She was full of hatred and rage because John did not approve of her sin.

We see this today. People are full of rage and vengefulness if others do not approve of their sinful behavior.

6:26 And the king was exceedingly sorry; yet, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he did not want to refuse her.

He knew it was wrong but he did not have the guts to look bad in front of those around him.

Do we let people suffer because we do not have the guts to stand up? What about innocent children, unborn babies, persecuted believers, etc.

6:30-31 Then the apostles gathered to Jesus and told Him all things, both what they had done and what they had taught. And He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.

The disciples, after all that work, needed a time of spiritual refreshing.

There is a saying that if the devil can’t make you sin, he will make you busy. Not taking time for rest and spiritual renewing diminishes our effectiveness and weakens our intimacy with God.

6:34 And Jesus, when He came out, saw a great multitude and was moved with compassion for them, because they were like sheep not having a shepherd. So He began to teach them many things.

I would be annoyed and impatient that I just needed some time to myself and all these people followed me anyway after knowing that I wanted to be alone.

But, Jesus was not annoyed, he had compassion! Jesus thinks of their need and not His own needs. He sees their hurts and weakness and puts aside His inconvenience.

I guess this makes me question that I really need to grow in love for others. Because I would have been annoyed and short with the people. I need to internalize that to live is Christ and that I should be daily living to do Christ’s work and not getting upset when my agenda is impinged upon.

6:48 Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by.

He saw them, but did nothing for several hours. Sometimes we think, does God see me, does He know that I am straining in the storm? Well He sees, and He will act in His time, for His purpose.

Jesus knew they would be fine, they just did not have faith that God would take care of them.

It says in verse 52 that they still were not really comprehending who Christ was or really grasping His power and authority.

6:54-55 And when they came out of the boat, immediately the people recognized Him, ran through that whole surrounding region, and began to carry about on beds those who were sick to wherever they heard He was.

It seems they were more interested in physical healing and not so much the Word of truth and repentance, and the things of the Spirit.

3/15/2016 9:24 pm  #14

Mark 7

7:6 And he said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, "'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;

This is definitely an application for us. Are we engaged in external religious behavior and think that make us pure or holy, but have hearts full of selfishness or pride? Ouch! Or how about envy or worldly idols? Do we have a heart for Christ?

7:20-23 And he said, "What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

This is a strong call to have a pure thought life. We should challenge ourselves about what we feed on, our media, music, TV, and movies. Do they meet the following standard?

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8

We should not let immoral things enter our mind, but change our minds, and change our thinking to reflect Christ. We should fill our minds with things that support and strengthen God’s standards.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2

It is not just external thoughts. It is also thought that come from our own minds. We must exercise control over our thoughts and get to the root of these thoughts which come from our motives and desires.
Our minds draw us into sin.

James 1:14-15 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

There is a saying that says, reap a thought, sow an action, reap an action, sow a habit, reap a habit, sow a character, reap a character, sow a destiny.

So we must control our minds.

Romans 8:5-8 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

3/16/2016 8:30 am  #15

Mark 8

8:11-12 Then the Pharisees came out and began to dispute with Him, seeking from Him a sign from heaven, testing Him. But He sighed deeply in His spirit, and said, "Why does this generation seek a sign? Assuredly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation."

We know God’s truth, we just want the sign to prove it because we are looking for excuses to reject. Even if they had the sign, they still would not believe. You can see the motives with which the Pharisees asked in the first place. And they already were hostile to Jesus prior to this.

Jesus had already shown them so many miraculous signs, they just had hard hearts and did not want to see and did not want to respond.

Luke 16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

And in fact, Jesus did end up raising someone from the dead and the Pharisees still did not believe. So this confirms that they chose not to believe.

Romans 1:18-21 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

8:15 Then He charged them, saying, "Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod."

I was trying to figure out what the leaven is. After reading some commentaries my best understanding is for the Pharisees it was religious hypocrisy: saying one is religious but not obeying God and living holy lives. For Herod he seems obsessed with the supernatural and wanting to see all this great miracles but he was not wanting to live a life honoring to God or to serve God.

He was just into spirituality kind of like we see today. Everyone is into spirituality but it is all about cool things happening, and love and etc. and it never curbs their lifestyles or behavior or moves them to obedience and purity.

8:33 But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

We do not understand the things of God or why we suffer. Here Jesus was saying how He, God, was going to suffer. Peter tried to rebuke Him and tell Him that it should not be like that.

How often I am guilty of trying to rebuke God and tell Him that things should not be a certain way. We cannot understand things of God, but we see with the understanding of men because we are mindful of the things of men and not focused and pursuing the things of God.

8:34-37 Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

We must crucify, put to death, our own desires if we are to follow Christ. If we focus on holding onto things of this life, we will lose eternal life. Do we really so much want the things of this world that we are willing to forgo eternity and condemn our soul? What is worth selling our soul for?

This is such a good time of year for this teaching as we look to Resurrection Sunday. Let us crucify ourselves and be resurrected in Christ. Let Him remove our cold, hard heart and give us His heart. Let us accept the gift of His Holy Spirit to renew us and live in us and empower us to serve and love Him. Let us be reborn in the image of our Lord.

Courtney has a powerful, must read post[/url] on this today at [url=http://womenlivingwell.org/2016/03/some-difficult-words-from-jesus-that-will-challenge-your-soul/]Good Morning Girls.

Some highlights that stood out to me.
Denying yourself means you’re going to say no to yourself and humbly submit to God’s will. You’re not going to focus on pleasing yourself.  You won’t be selfish.  You won’t be exalting yourself or asserting yourself above Jesus and his commands.  If anyone comes after Jesus, it’s a denial of self and a commitment to him fully.

When we decide to live our lives only to please ourselves – we lose.

We all long for the comforts of heaven but are we willing to sacrifice now for His sake?  Many follow Jesus right up until it gets hard, then they fall away.

Jesus does not promise a comfy, cozy, perfect life. He promises a cross to his followers.
A cross where we come and die to ourselves and follow Him.

Definitely take time to read her post today.

3/17/2016 8:26 am  #16

Mark 9

9:22-24 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

The father had tears in his eyes. He wanted to believe, he was just struggling to be able to believe this.

I love this, “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.” This just emphasizes so much how it is the Holy Spirit that allows us to fully trust in Jesus. “For it is by faith, and that not of yourself, it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8-9) Sometimes that is right where we are, God help us to trust you, help us to love You more, etc.

9:29 So He said to them, "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting."
You know sometimes there are things that we pray on for years. But, sometimes there are very strong spiritual strongholds. Perhaps, on some things we need more intense focus prayer and fasting. Also, some versions say only by prayer. This also leads us to see that we cannot d things in our own strength, but that prayer can release the power of God through us.

9:43-48
This is how serious we should take things that draw us into sin. If there is something that tends to make us sin or draws us into sin, or sinful thoughts, cut it out of our life, root it out.

3/18/2016 12:55 am  #17

Mark 8
s: “Jesus knew what they were saying, so he said, “Why are you arguing about having no bread? Don’t you know or understand even yet? Are your hearts too hard to take it in? ‘You have eyes—can’t you see? You have ears—can’t you hear?’ Don’t you remember anything at all? When I fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread, how many baskets of leftovers did you pick up afterward?” “Twelve,” they said. “And when I fed the 4,000 with seven loaves, how many large baskets of leftovers did you pick up?” “Seven,” they said. “Don’t you understand yet?” he asked them.

‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:17-21, NLT‬‬

O:  Jesus is trying to get his people to understand and have faith in God. He provides miraculous wonders right in front of them and for them on this journey, and they still don't understand and complain and worry.  Jesus is frustrated.

A: Jesus  talks about the hardness of the heart. I think when your heart is open, your mind becomes open. And you shine. We are always forgetting the works God does for us in our daily lives, big and small. And we go right back to our ways of complaining, arguing and worrying. We have to get back to a stronger faith and a deeper knowing.

P: God forgive us of our lack of faith and forgetfulness of all you have done, are doing And plan to do.  Renew our hearts and minds, Lord. Amen.

3/19/2016 8:53 pm  #18

itsjenniferrose wrote:

We are always forgetting the works God does for us in our daily lives, big and small. And we go right back to our ways of complaining, arguing and worrying. We have to get back to a stronger faith and a deeper knowing.

P: God forgive us of our lack of faith and forgetfulness of all you have done, are doing And plan to do. Renew our hearts and minds, Lord. Amen.

Amen. It is so easy to focus on the things that upset and annoy us and forget all of God's blessings.

3/19/2016 9:01 pm  #19

Mark 10

10:52 Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

This was one of the few times that someone who was healed then started following Jesus. God’s kindness leads us to repentance. We follow because Jesus has also healed us from our sinful hearts and freed us from the power of sin.

Romans 2:4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

10:43-45 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

No comment really, but this was kind of my memory verse from the chapter. An important thing to remember and attitude to cultivate.

10:21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

Jesus loved him. He wasn’t just trying to be difficult or put a stumbling block in his way. He loved him and wanted him to come to salvation. But He saw that his heart was not right and that he performed external works but did not love and worship God with his heart and life.

Jesus loves me; He love us; He wants us to let go of all the meaningless things we are holding onto to accept His truth, His plan and to fully and sincerely serve and follow after Him.

10:22 But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

He wanted salvation but he did not want to give his life to Christ.

I thought of two explanations.

1) He must not have really believed. Perhaps he thought there must be another way or questioned if Jesus right.

Do I live like I really believe the Bible? Do I live like Gods kingdom is really the most important thing to me? Do I live like I am dead to myself?

2) He was unwilling to give up worldly possessions for eternal life. Wow! The love of the world is enmity (feeling of hatred or hostility) with God. We cannot serve both money and God. 

James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Oh, it is so hard to not want to be a friend with the world. After all, we live in the world and these things are so immediate to us and can bring pleasure and comfort. But, would we really give up eternal life, eternity in the presence of God, or at minimum give up the work that God wants to in and through us to hold onto worldly desires and goals?

Who are we going to serve, ourselves, our desires, our goals or the God of the universe?

Again, Courtney has an amazing post on this for the Friday devotional over at Good Morning Girls.

3/20/2016 6:58 pm  #20

Week of March 21, 2016
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.
Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

GMG shares how we see Jesus in Mark as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel. In each chapter, look to see if you can identify how Jesus is fulfilling these things.

To help you get started, let's define Gospel. According to Strongs: good tidings; the glad tidings of the kingdom of God soon to be set up; the proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged in Christ;  the glad tidings of salvation through Christ

Monday
Reading: Mark 11
Verse of the Day: Mark 11:25
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Before we seek the Lord in prayer, we must forgive those that have wronged or hurt us. Who do you need to offer forgiveness to today?
Optional Discussion: Identify ways that you can see Jesus as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel.

Tuesday
Reading: Mark 12
Verse of the Day: Mark 12:30-31
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The greatest commandment is that we love God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength and the second is that we love others as ourselves. We don't always wake up in the morning ready to love God and others the way we should. How can we center our thoughts and minds on obeying these two greatest commandments every morning?
Optional Discussion: Identify ways that you can see Jesus as (1) the Son of God, (2)  a Servant, (3) a Miracle Worker, (4) Spreading the Gospel.

Wednesday
Reading: Mark 13
Verse of the Day: Mark 13:32-33
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We are called to watch for the coming of the Lord because we do not know the day nor the hour of His return. How are you watching for Jesus' return?

Thursday
Reading: Mark 14
Verse of the Day: Mark 14:38
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Often we have the best intentions to follow the Lord, as His disciples did, yet along the way we fail. Is there something that is tempting you today? Watch yourself. Write a prayer telling God your temptations and ask him for strength to not fall.

Friday
Reading: Mark 15
Verse of the Day: Mark 15:25-27
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Reflect on the pain and suffering Jesus endured for you. He shed His blood for YOU! All of our sins are forgiven because of His blood! Sweet victory in Jesus! Sing a song of worship today. Read a Psalm of praise. Write out a prayer of thanksgiving. Get on your knees, humble yourself before your King and give him glory and honor.

Board footera