Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2014 2:03 am  #1

1 John

1 john 1-2

The following scripture hit me like a ton of bricks. The wanting. I've been working on this a lot lately. Living in LA and working in marketing, I'm always wanting something. But I get so tired of wanting and yearning. It's such a challenge, but knowing that it isolates me from him is an eye opener. It's a reminder when I become consumed with what I want or having my way, to stop and seek him. Because I'm a testimony he will give you the desires of your heart, but in his own time and not when we're obsessing over it.

"Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity." (‭1 John‬ ‭2‬:‭15-17‬ MSG)

9/18/2014 8:40 am  #2

Re: 1 John

1 John 1

Scripture
vs 6-7: If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Observation
If we are living in fellowship with God we will not walk in darkness; our lives should evidence this; we will not walk in darkness and in the ways of this world (walk implies an ongoing pattern, not a momentary sin or mistake or isolated failure) 

Application
We need to be serious about not accepting those "little" sins in our lives and get serious about not immersing ourselves in ungodly things in our society but set our minds on Christ and on eternal things

If we walk with a focus on things of God and apart from things of this word we will have fellowship with God and God will purify our hearts and God will change our hearts.

This was a lesson it took me some time to learn.  How do we change our heart to have a heart for God?  Well I felt when I just tried harder I always failed.  Then I read the following:

Hebrews 8:10 - For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Hebrews 10:16 -  “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,

I realized, ding-ding, God will give me right heart and a right mind.But I wanted to live right before God, but I just did not.  So, the question was, why had God not put HIs laws in my heart and mind, and what am I to do.  So, I read on.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

I realized that I don't try harder, I just decide to seek Him, read His word, spend more time in prayer, more time at church, less time with inappropriate media and activities and let God change my heart, my attitude, my desires.

I think God speaks to people in different ways so for some people this won't work or click.  But for whatever reason one day I just saw this and it just clicked and things changed for me.  But I think God works differently in all of us.

itsjenniferrose, love that translation and verse:
"Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity." (‭1 John‬ ‭2‬:‭15-17‬ MSG)

Last edited by TBG (9/18/2014 8:44 am)

9/18/2014 12:11 pm  #3

I love what TBG says here! This rings true for me and it goes for life in general. You can't force things you are simply not ready for. And I find that when I seek his word and pray more, I'm more patient and a better person all around.

TBG wrote:

This was a lesson it took me some time to learn.  How do we change our heart to have a heart for God?  Well I felt when I just tried harder I always failed.  Then I read the following:

Hebrews 8:10 - For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Hebrews 10:16 -  “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,

I realized, ding-ding, God will give me right heart and a right mind.But I wanted to live right before God, but I just did not.  So, the question was, why had God not put HIs laws in my heart and mind, and what am I to do.  So, I read on.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

I realized that I don't try harder, I just decide to seek Him, read His word, spend more time in prayer, more time at church, less time with inappropriate media and activities and let God change my heart, my attitude, my desires.

I think God speaks to people in different ways so for some people this won't work or click.  But for whatever reason one day I just saw this and it just clicked and things changed for me.  But I think God works differently in all of us. 

9/18/2014 1:21 pm  #4

I want to thank all of you for participating!!!  I need a lot of heart changes.  Focusing on reading my Bible and praying (talking to God) with more focus will change it.
Thanks to TBG, itsjenniferrose, for today
and fishlicity, and MitziHubbard (from yesterday). 
I agree.

9/18/2014 6:41 pm  #5

Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself. You ladies have tied it up with at bow! I love that TBG says, "We need to be serious about not accepting those "little sins" in our lives," 1 John 1-2 gently reminds us that no matter how holy we may think we are, or long we've been saved, we still sin. God will forgive us if we confess. But these first two chapters just called me to be mindful of my sins.

It is so easy to get caught up in the desires of this world. And as both itsjennrose and TBG stated, it is up to us to commit to trading in media time, for God time. It's just that simple. I know I struggle with wanting to come home from work and after tidying up and getting dinner together, just wanting to collapse in front of some sort of media, whether it be Pinterest (may favorite), Twitter, Amazon Prime/Netflix, you name it. Just a way to veg out and not think about anything.  Give my brain a rest. But doing this Bible study is a bit of an accountability tool. And I always feel much better when I start my evening with the word than any form of media. It's similar to my working out. When I get up in the morning and work out before work, I feel better. When I get home in the evening and feed my spirit it's easier for me to mentally leave work and work, and I am kinder to those who matter to me :-)

God is here to help us. But we must do our due diligence and cover ourselves with his word. As TBG said, only then will we have more of a heart for things of God as opposed to this world. It is a process and we all have work to do. I so love that we are here supporting each other in our walks with God, wherever we may be. This is good.

9/19/2014 12:30 am  #6

1 john 3

Wow, I had to read through that a few times. It reminds us the number one command is to love each other. How many times do we not do this because we're  not feeling a person vibe or he/she is mean, etc...how do we act on the word in these situations? I find it very difficult to do so as I have a strong intuition about people and I'm usually right. I typically will shut off and try to avoid that particular person. What I should really be doing? Talking to Him in that moment, and ask God give me patience and kind countenance regardless if what I see or feel. Or help me to understand this person. Sigh. This is such a struggle and I pray God helps me to show and give genuine love in all situations and with all people.  We will all be happier and better off.

My fave scripture on love:

"If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut, Doesn’t have a swelled head, Doesn’t force itself on others, Isn’t always “me first,” Doesn’t fly off the handle, Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, Doesn’t revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. (‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13‬:‭3-7‬ MSG)"

Working on it!! (big-grin)

9/19/2014 6:58 am  #7

Good morning Ladies: A few scriptures in 1 John 2 spoke to me this morning:

Verses:

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Observation:

We are being called little children. We are being asked not to sin but if we do our father is there for us.

Application:

I like the fact that we are being called little children. That makes me realize that God knows I am still  growing and learning his word just like little children are still growing and still learning from their father.  While God wants me not to sin, ...that ye sin  not.....letting me know that I do not have to sin,  he is letting me know that he realizes there will be times that I will sin and I have a father, an advocate, someone that is looking out for me at all times to forgive me.  He is available to forgive me at anytime.

Verses:

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Oberservation:

Love not the world, lust (the word lust is used several times)

Application:

While I can care for things such as my home, my clothes, the things I see with my eyes and the progress I have made on my job on or a project, it should not come before God. Furthermore, lusting over wordly things will also steal my time.  I can care and like them all but I should not lust for them. I should not give them all my tiime and attention but give this time and attention to Godly things. I must keep worldly possessions in their place as they are also temporary. ...and the world passeth away...dddd

Father God, I ask you to forgive me of my sins and I thank you for being a forgiving father. Father as I continue to walk and continue to grow and learn in my walk, I thank you for your patience with me and I thank you for having to forgive me over and over again. I thank you for waking me up this morning and giving me the opportunity to get to know you another day.  I ask that you order my steps so that I will not lust on worldly possessions. Lord, I want to give my time and attention and turn from things of the world. Amen!

Last edited by NLWnMD (9/19/2014 7:10 am)

9/19/2014 5:06 pm  #8

1 John 2

vs 15
Do not love the world or the things in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world - the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions - is not from the Father but is from the world.

vs. 28
And now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at His coming.

vs. 1 But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Well verse 15 hurts. I think that arrow may have reached its mark.  Wow, yes, it is easy for me to get wrapped up in pride and desires. 

We want Christ to find us ready and not be ashamed at our work when He returns.  But even more, He sees us at every moment anyway.  Do we want Him to be ashamed of our behavior?

But I like how this chapter is balanced with calling us out of sin, but also offering God’s love and grace when we do fail.

9/19/2014 5:17 pm  #9

Mitzi,

I have the same problem.  Your want to turn off media and focus on God but your mind is just vegg and you don't have the concentration to read the Bible.  In the last GMG bible study one of the ladies made an excellent suggestion.  She suggested that I pray or sing praise song.

So, that has been a good suggestion for me.  I can just sit back close my eyes and spend time just talking to God, praising Him, thanking Him for things, or just talking about my thoughts, fears, hopes whatever, or praying for friend, family, this world.  I have not really done the praise suggestion.  I suppose I could put on some praise music or find something on YouTube and sing along.

itsjennifer

I like that post.  And another great translation.  I don't tend to read the Message, but I like how descriptive it is in some of those passages.

NLWnMD

I always glossed over that phrase, "little children." But by you highlighting it, it does make me think of God's patient training of us just as we do our children.
We just patiently and lovingly teach and train them as they grow in maturity.  What a beautiful image.

9/20/2014 1:29 pm  #10

1 John 4-5

Chapter 4 
I love this reminder that his spirit that lives in us is greather than the spirit who lives in the world.  Amen! We have power! 

Chapter 5
John talks about fatal sin here. Sin that leads to death.  It is very comforting to know God doesn't see all sin the same. And I'm presuming fatal sin = killing, possibly stealing, addictions and the like. Of course, sin in sin, but this really stuck out to me.

Board footera