Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2016 4:00 pm  #31

Re: Deuteronomy

Week of May 9
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 21
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to Week
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 21:8
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Provisions were made in the chance that guilty parties could not be found. This provision provided them with grace and redemption. Name a problem in your life that you need to apply grace and mercy to.

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 22
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 22:21
Today we are reminded of the importance of remaining sexually pure both inside and outside of marriage. In today's world, this can be a hard standard to live by. What are some ways that you have safeguarded yourself?

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 23
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 23:21
Vowing to God is very serious. Therefore, we need to be careful of the promises that we make to God. Is there a vow that you have made to God that you are struggling to keep?

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 24:14
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 24:14
Providing for the less fortunate, is commanded by God. What are some ways that you can help those around you?

Friday
Reading: Deuteronomy 25
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Discussion
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 25:16
In all our dealings, we must remain fair and honest. Otherwise, we are creating an act against God. What are some ways that you can ensure that you are being fair, in all your dealings?

5/09/2016 8:37 pm  #32

Deuteronomy 21

I found an incredibly great, teaching on this chapter from Clark Van Wick of Calvary Chapel Bible Fellowship in Temecula, CA.

I see another example of the pattern that we have seen since Genesis, sin has a penalty, and blood atonement for, in this case murder or killing. We saw in Genesis how the sin of Adam and Eve led to the first animals being slain to provide a covering.

We think our sin is minor, or that there are no consequences and penalties. But, our sin required the blood of Christ – so there is a great cost to covering our sins.

21:21b You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

We shall put away the evil from our lives and fear God.

5/11/2016 8:12 am  #33

Deuteronomy 22

In this chapter, I see a caring about the good of others, and a continued insistence on purity and separation from wickedness and justice.

22:1 You shall not see your brother's ox or his sheep going astray and ignore them. You shall take them back to your brother.
True purity and goodness is not just to avoid doing wrong, it is to actively do good.

22:3 You shall do the same with his donkey, and so shall you do with his garment; with any lost thing of your brother's, which he has lost and you have found, you shall do likewise; you must not hide yourself.
It is not right to “hide” so that you can avoid getting involved.

9-12
They are to avoid any semblance to pagan practices so that there is no question that the Israelites are different and serve a different God.

We also should be an example to the word and be careful to not disgrace the name of God by leading people to believe that we are doing things that dishonor God or are engaging in improper practices or living like the world.

5/12/2016 8:18 am  #34

Deuteronomy 23
Some good teaching and explanation of this chapter, and the rest of Deuteronomy.
Calvary Chapel Bible Fellowship, Pastor Clark Van Wick

All the Bible notes I read indicate that this is referring to a deliberate act associated with a pagan belief.

God does offer mercy and grace to both eunuchs and Moabites. Ruth was a Moabite and is in the genealogy of Christ.

Isaiah 56:3-8
Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely separate me from his people"; and let not the eunuch say, "Behold, I am a dry tree."

For thus says the LORD: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.

"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant-- these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples."

The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."

23:14 Because the LORD your God walks in the midst of your camp, to deliver you and to give up your enemies before you, therefore your camp must be holy, so that he may not see anything indecent among you and turn away from you

God wants holiness in His presence. We are to have pure hearts and lives because the Lord lives in us.

5/15/2016 7:49 pm  #35

Week of May 15

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 26
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 26:11
We are to give to God and obey Him with all our heart and soul. What are some things or ways that you are tempted to hold back?

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 27
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 27:10
It is one thing to know God's commands; h owever, it's another thing to put them into action. Do you sometimes struggle with this? What is it that causes you to stumble?

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 28
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 28:2
God promised blessings to Israel for their obedience but curses for their disobedience. Tell of a time when God blessed you for your obedience.

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 29
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 29:29
God reveals through His Word, the things we need to know. Name something God has recently revealed to you, through His Word.

Friday
Reading: Deuteronomy 30
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Discussion
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 30:19
Today we are reminded that God wants and longs to bless His people because He loves us. How does this simple truth make you feel? Have you shared your appreciation with God regarding all that He has blessed you with?

5/22/2016 8:50 pm  #36

Deuteronomy 24 and 25

Read both several times at least 3 times each. Just not much to say. Continue to see God’s character, His concern for justice, mercy, holiness, purity.

Deuteronomy 26

26:5-10
And you shall answer and say before the Lord your God: 'My father was a Syrian, about to perish, and he went down to Egypt and dwelt there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous. (5)
and now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land which you, O Lord, have given me.' Then you shall set it before the Lord your God, and worship before the Lord your God. (10)

Remember and acknowledge why we are giving to God. Offerings are a part of and a type of worship.

26:16 "This day the Lord your God commands you to observe these statutes and judgments; therefore you shall be careful to observe them with all your heart and with all your soul.

In the King James it says to “keep and do.”
Heart – will
Soul – appetite, desire, emotion

Be on guard, watch carefully that you observe them with your will and mind, and your appetite and desires.

26:17 Today you have proclaimed the Lord to be your God, and that you will walk in His ways and keep His statutes, His commandments, and His judgments, and that you will obey His voice.

Walk in – proceed, manner of life
Ways – path, direction, manner or habit
Keep – guard, observe, give heed, watch
Statues – prescribed tasks
Commandments – codes
Judgments – act of deciding, justice, ordinance

Live your life by proceeding and keeping in God’s path, going God’s direction and living according to God’s manners and habits.

Guard yourself and watch carefully that you obey the specific things He proscribes, His codes or laws, act according to His justice and obey His direction.

26:18-19 Also today the Lord has proclaimed you to be His special people, just as He promised you, that you should keep all His commandments, and that He will set you high above all nations which He has made, in praise, in name, and in honor, and that you may be a holy people to the Lord your God, just as He has spoken."

We again see a pattern that God calls people so that they will obey Him and so that they will be a special, holy people especially for Him.

5/22/2016 9:03 pm  #37

Week of May 23

Monday
Reading: Deuteronomy 31
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 31:6
Moses reminded the people that they have nothing to fear because God is with them and He will not leave them. What is something that you need to lay at God's feet?

Tuesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 32
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 32:4
Moses encouraged the younger generation to ask the older generation about all that God had brought them through. Who can you share with, about all the things that God has brought you through?

Wednesday
Reading: Deuteronomy 33
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 33:27
Moses left the people with encouraging words. God's people are blessed because they have God as their refuge. How is God your refuge?

Thursday
Reading: Deuteronomy 34
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 34:10
Moses died before they entered the Promise Land and yet he was at peace because he knew he had fulfilled his purpose. What is God calling you to do? How are you fulfilling your purpose?

5/23/2016 1:00 pm  #38

Deuteronomy 27

Israel was to follow the commands of the Lord so that they would have His blessings.

Likewise, we are to follow all that the Lord commands so that we may have His blessings on my life. Now this covenant for physical and material blessings was specifically to Israel in that land and for a very specific reason and time. So, I don’t mean that I will necessarily have physical and material blessings. The New Testament says we will have trials and as the world hated our Father, so they will hate us. But, I mean I will have true life and life in abundance, more abundance than milk and honey.

John 10:10
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Wow, the Matthew Henry commentary was excellent and moving. Summary: God does not offer us just more stuff in this world, but something better, something more, and much more than what we lost by turning away from sin.

Detail
1. Life is inclusive of all good, and stands in opposition to the death threatened (Gen. 2:17 ); that we might have life, as a criminal has when he is pardoned, as a sick man when he is cured, a dead man when he is raised; that we might be justified, sanctified, and at last glorified.

2. That they might have it more abundantly, kai perisson echosin . As we read it, it is comparative, that they might have a life more abundant than that which was lost and forfeited by sin, more abundant than that which was promised by the law of Moses, length of days in Canaan, more abundant than could have been expected or than we are able to ask or think. But it may be construed without a note of comparison, that they might have abundance, or might have it abundantly. Christ came to give life and perisson ti —something more, something better, life with advantage;

Life in abundance is eternal life, life without death or fear of death, life and much more.

3. Secondly, To give his life for the sheep, and this that he might give life to them (v. 11): The good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 1. It is the property of every good shepherd to hazard and expose his life for the sheep. Jacob did so, when he would go through such a fatigue to attend them, Gen. 31:40 . So did David, when he slew the lion and the bear. Such a shepherd of souls was St. Paul, who would gladly spend, and be spent, for their service, and counted not his life dear to him, in comparison with their salvation. But, 2. It was the prerogative of the great Shepherd to give his life to purchase his flock (Acts. 20:28 ), to satisfy for their trespass, and to shed his blood to wash and cleanse them.

27:9 Then Moses and the priests, the Levites, spoke to all Israel, saying, "Take heed and listen, O Israel: This day you have become the people of the Lord your God

God also tells us in the New Testament that we belong to Him. I belong to God; I am His. Therefore, I must obey.

1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.

Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.

1 John 3:1-2 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

Last edited by TBG (5/23/2016 1:01 pm)

5/23/2016 1:23 pm  #39

Deuteronomy 28

28:1-2 "Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God

They were offered everything – to be God’s special people, to have His special blessing, to have exceeding blessing beyond anyone in the world.

What was so great about the sin that made forfeit all this? Why would they breach God’s commands? They would really rather have the object of their lust or have more wealth than all of God’s blessings?

Why do we sin and forfeit our peace, grieve the Holy Spirit and forfeit the work God wants to do in and through us? Our flesh craves to be fed to the full. Our base instinct are cultivated and strengthened, given prominence in our lives.

We must starve our flesh and retrain ourselves to crave what is godly. Press in!!

This really highlights how the Word says that truly we are slaves to sin without the freedom from the power of the Spirit.

28:14 So you shall not turn aside from any of the words which I command you this day, to the right or the left, to go after other gods to serve them.

No amount of incentives of threats can change the heart of the people, could quench the cravings of the flesh. The external carrots nor the sticks acted as a restraint. The sin, straining against the bonds, occasionally broke through.

Same with us – our will power or our own desires – even good ones – desire for intimacy with God, desire not to hurt God, guilt or awareness of Jesus’ sacrifice for our sin – none of those is strong enough to ensure sin does not break out. Must be, being filled with the Spirit, set mind on Spirit, let Spirit rule and beat and starve our flesh.

28:47-48 "Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance of everything, therefore you shall serve your enemies, whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger, in thirst, in nakedness, and in need of everything; and He will put a yoke of iron on your neck until He has destroyed you.

28:52 They shall besiege you at all your gates until your high and fortified walls, in which you trust, come down throughout all your land;

Wow, not coerced or grudging obedience, but in joy and gladness of heart, motivated by love and relationship.

Soul – appetite, desire, emotion

If we don’t serve the Lord, we will serve the world and we will be destroyed as the things of the world, in which we trust, fail.

28:68 And the Lord will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, 'You shall never see it again.' And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you."

If we reject following God we go back into captivity to sin.
Do we want to go back into captivity?

5/25/2016 9:26 am  #40

Deuteronomy 29

29:2 And Moses summoned all Israel and said to them: "You have seen all that the LORD did before your eyes in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land,

They are again reminded to keep their focus on God’s character, faithfulness, deliverance, goodness, and promises.

This is like communion for us, in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice. It is to focus us and to remind us of Christ’s sacrifice and the great cost to pay our sins and to deter further sin in light of the great mercy, grace, and gift.

29:4 But to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to understand or eyes to see or ears to hear.

God must reveal His truth, the Holy Spirit must open eyes. It is not that we are so holy, good, or wise, it is a gift from God that He has shown us His truth and He has put His truth in our hearts. (Ephesians 2:8-9, Hebrews 10:16)

29:18 Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the LORD our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit,

This is why there is such a strict punishment in Deuteronomy and the rest of the law. God wanted to preserve a holy people and He wanted to prevent a root of wickedness from growing among them and poising the entire tree.

Likewise, although we have the power of the Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and we rely on the purity of Christ to purify us, we still need to be vigilant in cutting off any root of sin that will poison our fruit and usefulness for the kingdom.

29:19 one who, when he hears the words of this sworn covenant, blesses himself in his heart, saying, 'I shall be safe, though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart.' This will lead to the sweeping away of moist and dry alike.

Wow!! Great memory verse. We think we can entertain sin and have no repercussions.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

Yes, Christ paid for our sins, but does this mean we should keep on sinning? No!

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!

Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living. Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.

Because of the weakness of your human nature, I am using the illustration of slavery to help you understand all this. Previously, you let yourselves be slaves to impurity and lawlessness, which led ever deeper into sin. Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the obligation to do right. And what was the result? You are now ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom.

But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6:15-23

29:29 "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

People fixate on what they don’t understand and the “why God’s,” and get bitter when things are hard. But God’s ways are above us and unknowable. And, we don’t need to know. He is the potter; who are we, as the jar, to question Him? These things belong to God. But, what God has told us and revealed to us, these things we must do and with heart of joy that delight to serve Him.

This is what we saw in Job. Job finally understood who was he to question God and he saw God’s great sovereignty. These can be hard words, but not if we believe and know that God is good, and just, and loving and caring. In the midst of the pain, trust His goodness and His plan.

Board footera