Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2016 5:02 pm  #21

Re: James

JRoberts73 wrote:

Applying it does not have to be complicated.  It can be a smile...a helping hand... a hug... a phone call...a word of encouragement.. not letting the conflicts of this world choke out His Word living in you...  
I pray that He reveals ways I can be a "doer" each day.  Then I try to stay open to what He brings my way.   

That is beautiful. It is so easy to get so busy that we don't stop and think about blessing others. And you know, when you act out kindness, it fills your own heart with kindness.

I love that. Yes, let us pray that everyday we look for ways to apply God's love in our interaction with others.

8/03/2016 5:13 pm  #22

melissa6887 wrote:

A: Being a newer believer I have a hard time trying to decide if I really hear GOD speaking to me when I read his word. I also don't know if I'm trying to do too much (getting several email devotionals, doing this study, and reading in additional to the above). I feel I am not absorbing GOD'S true direction for me. I do however TRY to think if I'm hurting GOD in any way by my words and or actions.

Sweet sister, I am praying with you. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged by feelings but know:
(1) you are already approved by God
(2) what He says in the Bible, is His Word to you, that is how He speaks to you
(3) you don't have to get to a certain level of perfection for Him to love you
(4) there is no condemnation in those who are in Christ and who are walking in His truth by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8) - not perfection, but a willingness to seek and continuing to grow in Christ - we are in the process of being made into the image of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18) and what we will ultimately be will be actualized when Christ returns and transforms us (Colossians 3:3-4)

But as I mentioned in my post the other day about intellectualizing my study and not just sitting and meditating on it. You are right, it is important that you take time to just sit quietly with God and think about the scriptures that prick your heart and just talk to God about everything that is in your heart, the good, the bad, the hurt, the confusion and let the Word speak truth back into your heart.

8/03/2016 5:17 pm  #23

chocolatejulie wrote:

S: James 2 v12 So whenever you speak, or whatever you do, remeber that you will be judged by the law of love, the law that set you free.

O: I have been set free and all my sin forgiven because of what jesus did for me on the cross, his law of love has given me acess to god amazing grace. To be able to treat everyone the same I need to remember. this at all times and try to see them as jesus does, when he set them free, or how he longs too. humility seems to be the key, I must stay humble and close to God with a thankful heart for what he has done for me.

A: easier said than done! Developing an attitude of gratitude and a humble heart is a daily battle and a lifes work, but every morning I am renewed and try again. I have a book of thanks to record gods goodness to me and try to put myself in anothers place before making assumptions.

P: Heavenly father I give thanks and praise that you love us more than we can ever imagine, a love so overwhelming and complete that it banishes all sin. Help me to draw ever closer to you. In Jesus name Amen.

So true chocolatejulie, that is such a beautiful, beautiful verse with such joy and hope in it.

I was reading your observation and thinking how beautiful and true that was. Then I read your application, and I laughed. It is easier said than done isn't it? 

Oh, yes, the daily distractions of life. But you are correct by continuing to renew our mind we can continue to grow in our God focus and tune our the worldly distractions.

8/03/2016 5:30 pm  #24

GMG Discussion Question: Christians are to not show favoritism based on someone's wealth or nice clothing. In what ways do you struggle with showing favoritism and loving everyone as God would have you love them?

I usually don't have trouble giving people grace when they hurt or offend me. I tend to think that it is a lot more about them and whatever is going on with them than it is about me. Also, I appreciate that people have different life experiences and just sometime can't see the other person's opinion and that does not make them bad.

That said, I do have problems with people who I think don't like me or who treat me in a way that I think feels dismissive or disrespectful or patronizing. That is what I need to work on.

Ironically, I was late posting this because I had to see someone who I am really not fond of. I don't mean that I just objectively avoid them because they have bad behavior. I mean I have a negative heart attitude towards them. I don't feel love or grace towards this person. I would not say I hate them, but I just really don't like them. I think this person i not very fair or respectful to my husband and I can't stand him.

Since this person is a fellow believer, I am not sure he even understands how his actions come across, or I would hope he would not do it.

So, I had to have lunch with him and I was thinking of our study for today thinking, "Oh, OK, now I have the chance to put this into action and find love for him in my heart." So I was convicted, not that I have to say his behavior is correct, not that I have to be around someone who is not nice, but the only way I can describe it is I know that I have a bad attitude towards him and don't care about him the way I should in Christ. I should look at him as I do anyone else who may be in sin, with love and compassion understanding that we are all in process and we are all imperfect and give him grace.

So, after this study I am praying about changing my heart and loving him sincerely as Christ has loved me.

Regarding favoritism I have seen, not in my current church, but in other churches where they assume people who have business, academic or financial success are given preference in leadership positions, as if that makes them more spiritually mature or capable of making wiser decisions. And godly people with more modest background are overlooked. That is not right. We should look at the heart and at people who love God and are mature in the Lord and knowledgeable about His word regardless of their secular prominence.

8/03/2016 9:35 pm  #25

chocolatejulie wrote:

S: James 2 v12 So whenever you speak, or whatever you do, remeber that you will be judged by the law of love, the law that set you free.

O: I have been set free and all my sin forgiven because of what jesus did for me on the cross, his law of love has given me acess to god amazing grace. To be able to treat everyone the same I need to remember. this at all times and try to see them as jesus does, when he set them free, or how he longs too. humility seems to be the key, I must stay humble and close to God with a thankful heart for what he has done for me.

A: easier said than done! Developing an attitude of gratitude and a humble heart is a daily battle and a lifes work, but every morning I am renewed and try again. I have a book of thanks to record gods goodness to me and try to put myself in anothers place before making assumptions.

Oh yes.  Thank you for your words.  

8/03/2016 9:51 pm  #26

S: 2:8-9

O: From the Wesley study bible: Favoritism is incompatible with faithfulness.  
It is just that simple.    

A: Ok, so this is Sin.  Favoritism.  Sin.  Oh boy.  I do this without even thinking I am doing it.  Some people are easier to like than others.  Some people you want to sit next too.  Some people you feel special because they way to be friends with you.  But it is Sin.  So first step - acknowledge it - I do this - Next step to know that we are all beloved in God's eyes. 

K: Dear God, Please walk with me and let me see everyone as beloved children of God - no one less, no one more.  Please let me extend the same hand to those who are in fine clothes and for those who are in poor clothes. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Ladies - I am really enjoying everyone's SOAKs.  Thank you so much for sharing.  

8/04/2016 5:35 am  #27

S: 2:9 Do you still think it is enough just to believe that there is one god? Well even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror!

O:  I don't think it is enough no, because that gives no commitment to follow Christ, it provides no relationship with God. (It is like seeing someone across a room, you know they are there but no little about them,) Without these two things faith is very difficult to sustain especially when the trails of life come. The demons recognise the awsome power and might of God and are terrified,  yet we also need to recognise this but through the lense of his love for us. This draws us deeper into relationship which in turn gives us a hunger to serve so that deeds become a natural way to love our brothers and sisters. It is so easy to become overwhelmed as we are constantly surrounded by need, in our own churches and the wider world. It seems impossible at times to think we can offer anything of use as the need seem to great. We must try to remember that God is not constrained by the world as we are. If only every human could do this the world would look so different.

A: Pray, Pray, Pray and do what you can, give what you can however small and God will take our offerings and guide our actions. Try to keep close to God and listen, be ready if he calls you to act even if it is a sacrifice and praise him for the opportunity to serve.

K: Help us to remember heavenly father that you are King of Kings and Lord of Lords, we do not need to be overwhelmed by the world but to draw near to you. Amen

8/04/2016 5:48 am  #28

TBG wrote:

GMG Discussion Question: Christians are to not show favoritism based on someone's wealth or nice clothing. In what ways do you struggle with showing favoritism and loving everyone as God would have you love them?

I usually don't have trouble giving people grace when they hurt or offend me. I tend to think that it is a lot more about them and whatever is going on with them than it is about me. Also, I appreciate that people have different life experiences and just sometime can't see the other person's opinion and that does not make them bad.

That said, I do have problems with people who I think don't like me or who treat me in a way that I think feels dismissive or disrespectful or patronizing. That is what I need to work on.

Ironically, I was late posting this because I had to see someone who I am really not fond of. I don't mean that I just objectively avoid them because they have bad behavior. I mean I have a negative heart attitude towards them. I don't feel love or grace towards this person. I would not say I hate them, but I just really don't like them. I think this person i not very fair or respectful to my husband and I can't stand him.

Since this person is a fellow believer, I am not sure he even understands how his actions come across, or I would hope he would not do it.

So, I had to have lunch with him and I was thinking of our study for today thinking, "Oh, OK, now I have the chance to put this into action and find love for him in my heart." So I was convicted, not that I have to say his behavior is correct, not that I have to be around someone who is not nice, but the only way I can describe it is I know that I have a bad attitude towards him and don't care about him the way I should in Christ. I should look at him as I do anyone else who may be in sin, with love and compassion understanding that we are all in process and we are all imperfect and give him grace.

So, after this study I am praying about changing my heart and loving him sincerely as Christ has loved me.

Regarding favoritism I have seen, not in my current church, but in other churches where they assume people who have business, academic or financial success are given preference in leadership positions, as if that makes them more spiritually mature or capable of making wiser decisions. And godly people with more modest background are overlooked. That is not right. We should look at the heart and at people who love God and are mature in the Lord and knowledgeable about His word regardless of their secular prominence.

I can really relate to this, a person caused me hurt I felt really badly treated and struggled to be around them. God spoke into my heart and showed me I had not forgiven them, to my shame I hadn't even considered it! I was being righteous and it was all them! He reminded me of the hurts I have caused whether intentional or not, there may be some I don't even know of. This humbled me and as I asked for my own forgiveness, a forgiveness for that person flowed into my heart. I will pray that God helps you to find his peace about this relationship you are struggling with.

8/04/2016 9:19 am  #29

chocolatejulie wrote:

O: I don't think it is enough no, because that gives no commitment to follow Christ, it provides no relationship with God. (It is like seeing someone across a room, you know they are there but no little about them,) Without these two things faith is very difficult to sustain especially when the trails of life come. The demons recognise the awsome power and might of God and are terrified, yet we also need to recognise this but through the lense of his love for us. This draws us deeper into relationship which in turn gives us a hunger to serve so that deeds become a natural way to love our brothers and sisters. It is so easy to become overwhelmed as we are constantly surrounded by need, in our own churches and the wider world. It seems impossible at times to think we can offer anything of use as the need seem to great. We must try to remember that God is not constrained by the world as we are. If only every human could do this the world would look so different.

This just hits it perfectly, right on the head. Just a perfect summary of this entire passage. Thank you so much for your insight. Yes, it is about commitment, discipleship and relationship. Wow, and my response took multiple paragraphs and I am not sure I ever got to that core point. Excellent. Thanks

8/04/2016 9:21 am  #30

James 2:14-26

Ooh, one of these challenging theological truths.

I’ll lead with some insight from John MacArthur. He points out that the book of James is a series of litmus test to evaluate if our faith is genuine. So, the previous chapters we see the rest are remaining steadfast, endure trials and temptations, be doers of the Word, serve the needy, stay pure, love others, now we are looking at righteous behavior that manifest the reality of a godly nature.

2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
From JMAC:
Note also, it is says “if someone says.” So it is not that this person necessarily actually has faith, but that they claim to have faith.

James has already said it verses 17-18 that salvation is a gift from God and an act of God’s will, not our own. So this verse is better read can that kind of faith save him? Can the kind of faith that does not produce works save?

2:16 and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?

Verse 16 says that if just say nice words but don’t actually help there was no actual benefit; it is just empty words. This was the analogy to explain verse 14. So, it seems that verse 14 is that there is no value in the type of faith that does not produce works, it is empty, just words.

17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
It is false faith, not genuine faith. Genuine faith would produce works. Faith that does not produce works is a is dead and thus is not the true type of faith that saves.

Faith without works is dead. It is like a tree. If a tree is alive, it will bear fruit. If faith is alive, we should see the fruit of that faith in works. Now this is a process and we are continually growing in fruit.

As an analogy, there are sometimes reasons why a living tree does not immediately bear fruit. Some fruit trees take years before they bear fruit and then it is just a little immature fruit that comes. Then the next season there is more and more mature fruit as the tree matures. Sometimes trees need to be pruned (cut back and have limbs trimmed) so that they will bear more abundant and healthy fruit. And sometimes trees need another tree to cross pollinate in order to bear fruit. But under the right circumstances and eventually there should be some fruit.

2:18 " Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

The works give evidence to the faith.
If really believed a house was on fire, one would get out and stay sitting watching TV.

2:19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder!

It is not enough to believe. The devil believes because he knows the truth. But we must put our trust in that truth and submit ourselves to the authority of that truth. Putting our trust in and in submitting to the truth would evidence itself in our actions.

2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?
2:22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;
2:23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness"--and he was called a friend of God.

Is verse 21 saying Abraham was justified only by his works or that his works also were needed to justify him and that his faith was not sufficient alone? No.

Verse 23 says that he was justified for his belief alone. This is consistent with the rest of the Bible and with the fact that God said Abraham was justified well before he offered Isaac and Hebrews also speaks that Abraham’s faith is what justified him alone.

So then what does this mean? Verse 22 says his faith was completed by his works. The word in the KJV is perfected - to carry through completely, to accomplish, finish, bring to an end; completed. So his faith was fulfilled in his works.

The goal of faith is to bear fruit – works.

2:24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
This is not saying that you must do works to be saved, but that if you have faith you will do works. The works validate that you have genuine faith. So we are not justified by counterfeit lip service faith but my genuine faith that will be evidenced in our works.

Application
If I say I have faith but am not living for God, what benefit does it do; there is no gain in this type of faith. If I really have faith, I will really love, if I really love, I will serve and act with compassion towards others.

Now we all have season’s in our life so I don’t think this means that we are not saved if we don’t volunteer x hours a week to orphans or widows. I think it is a life characterized by loving and caring for others and those in need. We all have seasons of life. Maybe your season is caring for your family, or you are just in a season of personal growth, etc. But our overall life should characterize compassion in action.

Faith should change us.

GMG Discussion Question: We are reminded that we must show both faith and works throughout all our Christian walk. In what ways can we do this today?

Although this is not a direct application of verse 16, it made me think of when there is a problem that we pray for people. And we should. Prayer is the most powerful thing we can do. However, I was being convicted of going beyond prayer to action. If we are praying for God to do something, maybe He wants to use us to do it.

Also, it is the small little things that we can do regardless of how busy we are. A quick call to the person who lost her husband 6 weeks later when all the extended family is gone and everyone is back to business as usual. Pick up an extra bag of something because it was on sale and drop it off to someone, oh this was on sale and I thought you could use it. An encouraging note. Really how long does that take. Invite the child of a single parent over for dinner to give that parent a break and give the kid a chance to have a positive male figure around. It is just something I am being more convicted of lately.

Board footera