Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2017 11:39 am  #31

Re: 1 Samuel

Have not got the hang of the SOAK yet, sorry if this is long.  Reading this week in 1Samuel and the "God moment" I had continues to remind me of how important it is to listen and act upon what He tells us.

Over the years I have created a book of "God Moments" which are moments where God has interjected Himself into my situation to show me who He is and that He is faithful.  I have countless entries in this book so you would think I would know better, but yet Monday night around 11 pm after everyone I could have contacted for help/advice was inaccessible, I heard running water which I perceived that a pipe under my house had burst.  I immediately went to the Lord in prayer for help, but also in a whining tone asked why He would allow this to happen.  He knows my finances but I spent most of the night reminding Him of the plumbers bill, possible damage to crawl space and how the increased water bill was going to affect my finances.  But "Oh well, I will trust you Lord". Called a plumber at 4:30 -  had to wait.  Too dark to go check outside. Had no way to turn the water off to the house.  Called son at 5:30, just to hear myself whine. As soon as it got daylight, (have not slept one wink) I decided to go check.  "For some reason" I went out the garage instead of a more direct route out the front door, only to see my hose had burst and once I turned off the faucet, the sound of a burst pipe disappeared.
Here is the most important part of this story.  Everytime I pulled into the garage I was "impressed" to disconnect the hose now that the weather was getting colder. I was not hearing the "still small voice" of the Lord. When I saw that it was only the hose, I felt such relief/shame wash over me but instantly He flooded me with the assurance of His love. It is so important for us to realize that God watches over us 24/7 and is always working in our lives. Listening to His leadings and responding is so vital in a relationship with God. 

1/13/2017 10:06 pm  #32

1 Samuel 5

S:Verse 1-2 - Once the Philistines had seized the Chest of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod, brought it into the shrine of Dagon, and placed it alongside the idol of Dagon. Verse 3-5 -Next morning when the citizens of Ashdod got up, they were shocked to find Dagon toppled from his place, flat on his face before the Chest of God. They picked him up and put him back where he belonged. First thing the next morning they found him again, toppled and flat on his face before the Chest of God. Dagon’s head and arms were broken off, strewn across the entrance. Only his torso was in one piece.

O: Thou shall have no other God before me. (Ex: 20:3) How dare you put your idol next to me. When God knocked it down the first time to give them a hint, they went right back up and put it next to him again. The very next day it was broken in pieces. No coincidence then. They had to learn the hard way. To this very day, we still  choose to learn the hard way.

A: You have to be careful in what takes up 90% of your time...it can become your idol. Something that you devote all your energy to. God wants you to spend as much time as you can with him. He's a jealous God. Just as you spend time and money on other worldly things or people, he expects you to spend the same time with him if not even more. For those worldly things can't do anything for you.

K: Father, I want to continue to have you as the head of my life and practices. Father, I don't want to look at worldly things through man's eyes. I want my eyes to be fixed on you. I want my thoughts to be of you and how I can please you. Father, continue to gently remind me when I start to loose my sight in the time that I spend on things that are not of you.

Discussion Question: It solidfies that my GOD is to be First in everything. If you are disobedient, then you need to be ready for the consequences. God will bring you to him one way or the other.

Last edited by cochrans (1/13/2017 10:19 pm)

1/15/2017 6:44 pm  #33

kathielee wrote:

Have not got the hang of the SOAK yet, sorry if this is long.  Reading this week in 1Samuel and the "God moment" I had continues to remind me of how important it is to listen and act upon what He tells us.

Over the years I have created a book of "God Moments" which are moments where God has interjected Himself into my situation to show me who He is and that He is faithful.  I have countless entries in this book so you would think I would know better, but yet Monday night around 11 pm after everyone I could have contacted for help/advice was inaccessible, I heard running water which I perceived that a pipe under my house had burst.  I immediately went to the Lord in prayer for help, but also in a whining tone asked why He would allow this to happen.  He knows my finances but I spent most of the night reminding Him of the plumbers bill, possible damage to crawl space and how the increased water bill was going to affect my finances.  But "Oh well, I will trust you Lord". Called a plumber at 4:30 -  had to wait.  Too dark to go check outside. Had no way to turn the water off to the house.  Called son at 5:30, just to hear myself whine. As soon as it got daylight, (have not slept one wink) I decided to go check.  "For some reason" I went out the garage instead of a more direct route out the front door, only to see my hose had burst and once I turned off the faucet, the sound of a burst pipe disappeared.
Here is the most important part of this story.  Everytime I pulled into the garage I was "impressed" to disconnect the hose now that the weather was getting colder. I was not hearing the "still small voice" of the Lord. When I saw that it was only the hose, I felt such relief/shame wash over me but instantly He flooded me with the assurance of His love. It is so important for us to realize that God watches over us 24/7 and is always working in our lives. Listening to His leadings and responding is so vital in a relationship with God. 

First, I love the God Moment book. I really, really, do. This is something I really need to do. I need to discipline myself to write in it and not put it off when I see God work.

Secondly, thank you for sharing that story.

1/15/2017 6:49 pm  #34

1 Samuel 5

5:4 But when they rose early on the next morning, behold, Dagon had fallen face downward on the ground before the ark of the LORD, and the head of Dagon and both his hands were lying cut off on the threshold. Only the trunk of Dagon was left to him.

What was impressed on me was that I don't have to fear. We fear these other powers and things going on around us. But, do we forget who God is? He is the only God, all other things will bow before Him and nothing can stand up to Him. Why do we fear? God is the all powerful One.

1/15/2017 6:53 pm  #35

cochrans wrote:

1 Samuel 5

O: ...How dare you put your idol next to me. When God knocked it down the first time to give them a hint, they went right back up and put it next to him again. The very next day it was broken in pieces. No coincidence then. They had to learn the hard way. To this very day, we still  choose to learn the hard way.

A: You have to be careful in what takes up 90% of your time...it can become your idol. Something that you devote all your energy to. God wants you to spend as much time as you can with him. He's a jealous God. Just as you spend time and money on other worldly things or people, he expects you to spend the same time with him if not even more. For those worldly things can't do anything for you.

K: Father, I want to continue to have you as the head of my life and practices. Father, I don't want to look at worldly things through man's eyes. I want my eyes to be fixed on you. I want my thoughts to be of you and how I can please you. Father, continue to gently remind me when I start to loose my sight in the time that I spend on things that are not of you.

Discussion Question: It solidfies that my GOD is to be First in everything. If you are disobedient, then you need to be ready for the consequences. God will bring you to him one way or the other.

Wow, very powerful. How dare we put our idols before God? How dare we put our priorities, in our time, energy, goals, money, behavior, before God.

Lord help me to put aside any idols in my life. Help me to let go of those things that draw my heart away from you, that are a fight for my affections, and are a rival for my devotion and single minded focus on you.

1/15/2017 7:04 pm  #36

Week of January 16
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 1 Samuel 6
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 6:20
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: We live in a culture that tends to treat God casually rather than holy. At times, we lean more towards grace than obedience or towards our feelings rather than letting God’s Word have the final say. How have you seen this around you? How can we live differently?

Tuesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 7
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 7:3
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Israel had strayed from serving God and needed a change of heart. Are there any areas where your heart has secretly gone astray? How can you redirect your heart today?

Wednesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 8
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 8:7
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Israel wanted a king so they could be like the other nations. When we take our eyes off of God’s Word, we too can be influenced by the world’s trends. In what ways have you seen the church tempted to follow the world’s ways over God’s?

Thursday
Reading: 1 Samuel 9
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 9:21
Optional GMG Discussion Question: God chose someone that the world would have overlooked to become the king of Israel. How does this encourage you to see that God does not choose those he uses based on status, wealth or background?

Friday
Reading: 1 Samuel 10
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 10:19
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: The rejection of the Lord made no sense. Why would anyone reject the one who had saved them? Sometimes we act like the Israelites and we try to solve our problems on our own. Tell of a time when you have struggled with this.

Last edited by TBG (1/20/2017 4:17 pm)

1/16/2017 6:45 am  #37

1 Samuel 6

S: Then the men of Beth-shemesh said, “Who is able to stand before the Lord, this holy God?  And to whom shall He go up away from us?” (6:20)

O: I find it ironic that they want to be rid of the ark after they are punished for wrongdoing.  It also seems as if they were surprised that God had punished them.

A: Aren’t we the same way?  When we do wrong we seem surprised that God disciplines us.  Then we try and turn it around on Him and accuse Him of being mean and not caring.  None of us can stand before God without the blood of Christ, and yes, that blood makes us righteous before God, but it also makes us His children.  And children get corrected when they do wrong.  So instead of whining about God being mean, let us be repentant and seek the Lord’s guidance on how to learn from the situation and to grow more Christ-like.

1/16/2017 9:52 am  #38

1 Samuel 6

Scripture
6:5-6 So you must make images of your tumors and images of your mice that ravage the land, and give glory to the God of Israel. Perhaps he will lighten his hand from off you and your gods and your land. Why should you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? After he had dealt severely with them, did they not send the people away, and they departed?

Observation: Even these unbelieving, idolatrous priest understood God insist on being glorified and that people cannot oppose Him. They acknowledged God's authority.

Application:
Why do we fight against God? Why don't we submit to His loving, wise, and just authority?

We live as people that acknowledge God's authority in our lives and in all things. We must live to bring glory to God.
But is that not hard sometimes when we are distracted by legitimate desires to get our needs met?

Kneel in Prayer: Help me Lord, even in the middle of wrestling with real challenges and needs to focus on bringing You glory and honor in my heart, attitudes, thoughts, actions, affections, and desires.

Optional GMG Discussion Question: We live in a culture that tends to treat God casually rather than holy. At times, we lean more towards grace than obedience or towards our feelings rather than letting God’s Word have the final say. How have you seen this around you? How can we live differently?

It is a balance between grace and obedience.

I think about what cochrans said on Samuel 4 post, "I have several sins that have weighed on me for many years. I have put them at  his feet, then go back and pick it right up again. I'm now praying that GOD removes that spirit and give me strength to not pick them back up again. It's not easy but I have to learn to keep GOD in the forefront of ALL of my thoughts."

And isn't that all of us at some point in our walk? We keep repeating these behaviors, thoughts, patterns, that we know are displeasing to God. And yes, God gives grace. We don't want to think that God rejects or accepts us based on our behavior and we rely on the holiness of Christ because our own holiness fails.

But, at the same time, God does not want us to treat His call to holy living lightly. He does call us to actively work to purge out the compromises in our lives. He repeatedly says in the New Testament "be holy, for I am holy."

I think the important thing is not to accept lightly what God calls sin and to not just accept ongoing sin and compromise but continue to press into the word, prayer, Christian fellowship and guard what we put into our hearts and minds and what we surround ourselves with.

Most importantly, we cannot call right what God calls wrong even if we think it is more loving or kind. Do we really think we have more love and wisdom than God?

Last edited by TBG (1/16/2017 9:58 am)

1/16/2017 1:51 pm  #39

1 Samuel 6

This chapter was a big struggle for me. No verses really jumped out. Verse 20 [And the men of Beth Shemesh said, "Who is able to stand before his holy Lord God? And to whom shall it go up from us?] is marinating in my spirit...however, I'm not sure what I'm to receive from it. Both Michelle and the Administrator had excellent points that I totally agree with. My study bible says "Since God is holy, He requires those who minister or serve Him to be separated from all that is contrary to His holy character. The people responded in terror and frustration. They knew of the troubles that the ark had brought to the Philistines; now they believed, they were next. I'm praying that in the next few days, I'll receive (if I haven't already) what the holy spirit desires me to know.

S: Verse 20
O: How do you present yourself to God? How do you fix the wrongs?
A: In order for God to remove our afflications we need to stand before him naked from all worldly things and thoughts. Not only do we tell him we're sorry but show him that we are sincere through obedience, fasting, reading his word and being the servant he has told us to be. We can't continue to put our idols before him and think it's okay,

Discussion Question: We live in a culture that tends to treat God casually rather then holy. At times, we lean more towards grace then obedience or towards our feelings rather then letting God's word have the final say. How have you seen this around you? How can we live differently?

For some crazy reason we often think that since God is a forgiving God we can just do our dirt and ask for forgiveness at the end of the day, We abuse his MERCY. We don't want to be obedient if we know we can just ask God to forgive... this is not what God wants. He wants us to be obedient, take his word seriously - stop going through the motions - be a true example of his light and word. We see so many worldly things in church now. That's why we cant take the word of God seriously. If it seems to be okay in his house without repercussions, then we often think it's okay for us to do it. We have to stay prayed up (your personal relationship) study his word (the bible) have a reflective heart as his (helping others) this is how we can make a change according to what GOD wants of us.

Last edited by cochrans (1/16/2017 10:43 pm)

1/16/2017 5:10 pm  #40

cochrans wrote:

For some crazy reason we often think that since God is a forgiving God we can just do our dirt and ask for forgiveness at the end of the day, We abuse his MERCY. We don't want to be obedient if we know we can just ask God to forgive... this is not what God wants. He wants us to be obedient, take his word seriously - stop going through the motions - be a true example of his light and word. We see so many worldly things in church now. That's why we cant take the word of God seriously. If it seems to be okay in his house without repercussions, then we often think it's okay for us to do it. We have to stay prayed up (your personal relationship) study his word (the bible) have a reflective heart as his (helping others) this is how we can make a change according to what GOD wants of us.

Exactly!

Board footera