Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2017 10:55 pm  #21

Re: Introductions for 2017

Hi! My name is Marisol, and I'm from NJ, and I am married for 21 years and have 3 children, a 20 year old son, an 18 year old son, and a 13 year old daughter.  I have done quite a few studies with Good Morning Girls, and have always been blessed by them.  I will admit, I am in a rather difficult season right now, my husband and I both served in our local church for the past 15 years, and now my husband is in a rehabilitation center unable to walk due to a very bad infection from a hip bone graph that was done for a cervical fusion on his neck. It has been quite a whirlwind, and I find myself with no time to do anything, as all my time is consumed by work, taking care of my husband on a daily basis at the rehab center, 3 kids that keep me plenty busy as well, and everyone competing for my attention. I had to step down from leading a women's ministry at my church about a year and half ago, as I could see my husband was needing more of me, and my family is my priority. I am trusting God with a purpose in all of this...although some days feel like it is more of a challenge to do that than others. For today, I'm putting one foot in front of the other, and I'm looking forward to digging in to this book of 1 Samuel together with some ladies, and seeing what God teaches us, as we share our struggles and triumphs along the way!  God bless each and everyone of you, and may He give us all wisdom and understanding as He sees fit as we dig deep!

1/05/2017 4:20 am  #22

Hello Everyone!
My name is Karen. I am new to this group and also new to Bible studying. I am an Anglo-India born in Chennai, India and then migrated to Australia while I was a teen. I've lived all over the world working in different places in the field of Hospitality as a Hotel Manager. I have returned to Chennai and I currently live and work here. I am an Entrepreneur in the field of Training and Education. I am 44 years old and I am single and still waiting on the Lord for my future life partner. I joined Good Morning Girls in 2014 and kept following Courtney's blog and watching her videos. I've never been to a Bible study before hence I am very new at this and do not have any clue. I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart and I feel that He has lead me here to be a part of this circle. I feel a deep desire to learn God's word, understand it, discern it and apply it in my daily living. The only thing is I don't know how to study the Bible and so forth. I read the Bible but I feel incomplete since I am not sure if I am doing it correctly or understanding how to study and learn the scriptures. I am hoping that all of you will be able to teach me and help me get closer and connect deeper with God through His Holy word. I am so excited and so happy that I am here. I am looking forward with much eagerness to start the journey of studying and understanding God's word. I am also looking forward to connecting with all of you out here and learning from your experiences and shared wisdom. God bless each one of you out here on this journey of learning God's word.
Blessings and love
Karen

1/05/2017 3:42 pm  #23

Marisol wrote:

Hi! My name is Marisol, and I'm from NJ, and I am married for 21 years and have 3 children, a 20 year old son, an 18 year old son, and a 13 year old daughter.  I have done quite a few studies with Good Morning Girls, and have always been blessed by them.  I will admit, I am in a rather difficult season right now, my husband and I both served in our local church for the past 15 years, and now my husband is in a rehabilitation center unable to walk due to a very bad infection from a hip bone graph that was done for a cervical fusion on his neck. It has been quite a whirlwind, and I find myself with no time to do anything, as all my time is consumed by work, taking care of my husband on a daily basis at the rehab center, 3 kids that keep me plenty busy as well, and everyone competing for my attention. I had to step down from leading a women's ministry at my church about a year and half ago, as I could see my husband was needing more of me, and my family is my priority. I am trusting God with a purpose in all of this...although some days feel like it is more of a challenge to do that than others. For today, I'm putting one foot in front of the other, and I'm looking forward to digging in to this book of 1 Samuel together with some ladies, and seeing what God teaches us, as we share our struggles and triumphs along the way!  God bless each and everyone of you, and may He give us all wisdom and understanding as He sees fit as we dig deep!

Welcome Marisol!

I have just prayed for you and will continue to do so. I admire your faithfulness and commitment to keep seeking God and to battle the challenge of finding time to stay in His word over these years.

Sometimes it is hard to know what God is doing and to understand where He is taking us. But I praise God for your trust in Him.

1/05/2017 4:56 pm  #24

Karen wrote:

Hello Everyone!
My name is Karen. I am new to this group and also new to Bible studying. I am an Anglo-India born in Chennai, India and then migrated to Australia while I was a teen. I've lived all over the world working in different places in the field of Hospitality as a Hotel Manager. I have returned to Chennai and I currently live and work here. I am an Entrepreneur in the field of Training and Education. I am 44 years old and I am single and still waiting on the Lord for my future life partner. I joined Good Morning Girls in 2014 and kept following Courtney's blog and watching her videos. I've never been to a Bible study before hence I am very new at this and do not have any clue. I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart and I feel that He has lead me here to be a part of this circle. I feel a deep desire to learn God's word, understand it, discern it and apply it in my daily living. The only thing is I don't know how to study the Bible and so forth. I read the Bible but I feel incomplete since I am not sure if I am doing it correctly or understanding how to study and learn the scriptures. I am hoping that all of you will be able to teach me and help me get closer and connect deeper with God through His Holy word. I am so excited and so happy that I am here. I am looking forward with much eagerness to start the journey of studying and understanding God's word. I am also looking forward to connecting with all of you out here and learning from your experiences and shared wisdom. God bless each one of you out here on this journey of learning God's word.
Blessings and love
Karen

Welcome Karen!

What an interesting life journey you have had. Glad you are joining us.

And so glad you have a craving and passion to know the Word of God more.

Regarding Bible study.

I) Scripture interprets scripture.

So as you read more, you understand more because you know the other parts of the Word that provide additional explanation or insight to what you are reading or that provide necessary background that leads in to what you are reading.

So, don't get discouraged if you at first don't understand everything, the more you read, the more you understand.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. And learning about God's word is a life long process not something to be grasped in a few weeks, or even a few months. 

II) Remember, to pray and ask God to open His Word and to help you to see His truth and what He wants you to learn.  And every time you read you won't have some tremendous insight and sometimes the passages won't speak to you.  That is fine.  We don't look for emotional experiences, but God's truth. 

Even when you don't see a specific application to your life, reading the Word gives you insight into God's character and who God is so that you can know Him better and love Him more.

III) Tips for Bible study

a) Mandy, one of the Good Morning Girl leaders, has an excellent post on how to study the Bible: 9 Ways to Study the Bible

b) Courtney's SOAK Method and Bible Color Method

c) BibleStudyTools.com has commentaries, dictionaries, concordances, and other helpful Bible study tools.

d) Look for what the passage tells you about the character of God and how you should respond to this.

e) Look at how the people in the passage respond & act. Are they fearful, trusting, faithful, unbelieving, righteous, wicked, selfish, materialistic?  How?  Try to identify what responses you are seeing from the characters. Then consider the following four themes.

1. Contrast the faith of the individuals in the passage to each other. What are the differences in their responses and actions? What is the difference and root motivation or heart attitude in the responses?

2.  Examine Your Faith
It is easy to judge others, but look for parallels in your own life when you have been both faithful and unfaithful.
How are you like or not like the people in the passage?  Do you struggle in your faith? Would it hard for you to be faithful or obedient in the same situation?

3. Look for patterns or principles in the people’s actions and God’s response.
Do you see these patterns in your life? What were the consequences of the good and bad behavior? What have been the consequences of your good and bad behavior?  How did God respond in this passage? How does God in the New Testament? How has God responded to you?

4. New Testament Insights
Are there new testament teachings that provide insight into how this is applied in our lives now? Does this play into  God’s ultimate plan of redemption? Does the completed sacrifice of Christ play into this narrative?

For the book of Joshua, I created an Pentateuch Recap and intro to Joshua. This is a recap of the first 5 books of the Bible, commonly known as the Pentateuch. The video has good examples of how to get more out of your Bible readings and how to identify and respond to God's character traits.

Hope this helps. So glad you are reading with us and praying God makes His truth known to you.

Last edited by TBG (1/05/2017 5:11 pm)

1/09/2017 7:10 am  #25

Hi. My name is Paula and I'm from North Carolina. I'm married with 2 teenage daughters and I work full time. Life is busy, but God is in control of it all. I have a monthly ladies Bible study in my home and I'm looking for time to keep digging deeper into God's Word.
This is my first GMG study so I'm looking forward to this!

1/09/2017 9:10 am  #26

Paula wrote:

Hi. My name is Paula and I'm from North Carolina. I'm married with 2 teenage daughters and I work full time. Life is busy, but God is in control of it all. I have a monthly ladies Bible study in my home and I'm looking for time to keep digging deeper into God's Word.
This is my first GMG study so I'm looking forward to this!

Welcome Paula,

We look forward to hearing your input.

1/12/2017 6:46 pm  #27

Hello all!!!

I'm a bit late in posting my introduction.  My name is Michelle, I'm 42, married, and also have no kids by choice.  Both my husband and I work in higher education managing research grants.  I've been doing the GMG studies for a while, and did a previous one on this board, but had to limit them over the past year or so while I battled breast cancer.  I'm finally feeling good again, so I'm back.

1/15/2017 7:12 pm  #28

Michelle wrote:

Hello all!!!

I'm a bit late in posting my introduction.  My name is Michelle, I'm 42, married, and also have no kids by choice.  Both my husband and I work in higher education managing research grants.  I've been doing the GMG studies for a while, and did a previous one on this board, but had to limit them over the past year or so while I battled breast cancer.  I'm finally feeling good again, so I'm back.

Welcome back, Michelle! Glad you introduced yourself.

I am so sorry about your cancer and praise God that He brought you through that. Will continue to pray for your health and strength. Thanks for joining us again.

1/16/2017 6:44 am  #29

TBG wrote:

Michelle wrote:

Hello all!!!

Welcome back, Michelle! Glad you introduced yourself.

I am so sorry about your cancer and praise God that He brought you through that. Will continue to pray for your health and strength. Thanks for joining us again.

Thank you

Board footera