Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2017 10:02 am  #41

Re: 1 Samuel

1 Samuel 7

S: direct your heart to the Lord and serve Him only (7:3)

O: Israel had strayed far from God and the Lord have given them over to the Philistines.  Now they are turning back to God and Samuel reminds them to serve the Lord alone.

A: God doesn’t want just any place in our life, He doesn’t even want first place.  He wants the only place.  We are to direct our hearts to Him alone.  When things are going good, we are to give Him the glory.  When we are tired and stressed and worried, we are to turn to Him.  When we have a decision to make, we are to turn to Him for guidance.  In everything the focus is God.

1/17/2017 11:08 am  #42

I Samuel 7

Scripture 7:2-3
From the day that the ark was lodged at Kiriath-jearim, a long time passed, some twenty years, and all the house of Israel lamented after the LORD. And Samuel said to all the house of Israel, "If you are returning to the LORD with all your heart, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and direct your heart to the LORD and serve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines."

Observation
They lamented; they felt God had abandoned them. Why did they cry out? They know what God required of them; they needed to just do it. Samuel again laid it out for them: get rid of idols and obey Word of God.

Application
Sometimes, as believers, we can go through periods where we cry out to God to do work in our lives and hearts. We want to see God at work in our lives; we want to grow in our walk; we want to experience the leading of His Spirit. But, are we being obedient in what He has already shown us? Are we even doing that which we know to do? Do what God has told you, be obedient, then worry about more, but first do what He has already told you to do.

It reminds me of a video Courtney made a while ago about wanting more. We want more power to live holy, but God has given us enough, now it is up to us to use what He has given us and to go out into battle and fight the spiritual fights and not keep just waiting for more.

Scripture
7:12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, "Till now the LORD has helped us."

Observation: Till now – God has brought us here; God has brought us to where we are; God has brought us this far. My Bible notes say, “God was the sovereign one. In times of faithfulness and rebellion, He fought the battles, He brought the blessing.”

Application: We should not look at our life and the good things and think that we have carried ourselves to this point. Even if our life has been challenging, it is God who has sustained us and brought us as far as we are.

What a great idea to mark and note and remind ourselves of God’s work and deliverance in our lives.

This reminds me of what kathielee said about a “God Moment” book, to note what God has done in our lives. This can be like our Ebenezer stone. I actually did start my God Moment book today.

We have a praise and prayer request area on the forum. So, I am going to post some of my praise report/God moments there. Feel free to post any of your praise and prayers as well.

Scripture 7:13-14
So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel. And the hand of the LORD was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. The cities that the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath, and Israel delivered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the Amorites.

Observation
When they turned back to God, He went back to implementing His plan for them.

Application
We think we are pushing forward with our plan for our lives, but when we are ignoring God and living in our own strength, for ourselves and putting idols ahead of God, we are only impeding God’s ultimate plan for our lives. We can only realize God’s plan for our lives when we focus on serving and worshiping Him with our lives.

Another Bible Study I do was talking about how Jesus was always doing the Father’s will. So, it is interesting to think, we should wake up each day and not get caught up into thinking about our agenda, goals, desires. But first to just wake up and listen to the Father, and ask, God what is Your will?

“We do many things during the week, but they should all be united under a greater ambition, to do the will of the Lord.”

Last edited by TBG (1/17/2017 11:44 am)

1/17/2017 9:52 pm  #43

1 Samuel 7

S: Verse 3-4: Then Samuel spoke to all the house of Israel saying "If you return to the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtoreths from among you, and prepare your hearts for the Lord, and serve Him only; and He will deliver you from the hand of the Philistines." So the children of Israel put away the Baals and the Ashtoreths and served the Lord only.

O: If you are serious about coming back and to God, clean your spiritual home.

A: You will need to start putting God FIRST in EVERYTHING. Start by giving him your time, throw away those worldly things that aren't of him. Read, Believe and Stand on his words. Worship HIM solely. When you do these things - God will forever hold you in his arms through ALL situations.

K: Father, I come to you tonight surrendering all of my worldly things and thoughts that I know you wouldn't be pleased with. I know it's going to take time to fully turn my life around but in this chapter you showed Israel that if they cleaned their spiritual lives and only worshiped you - you would take care of them and never leave them. Father you did just that. I'm thanking you in advance for allowing Jesus to intercede on my behalf. Father, I thank you that you will never leave me no matter what situations I face.

Discussion Question: Are there any areas where your heart has secretly gone astray? How can you redirect your heart today?

I have not fully strayed away, but I have been in a valley for three years. I've prayed, I've anointed my home and prayed for a breakthrough. It wasn't until I fully turned this valley over to God that I've seen some change. For starters, since I've started this particular bible study I have done nothing but thirsted for God's word. I've learned that your prayers don't mean anything to God until they really mean something to you. No more going through the motions for me. When you sincerely and fully keep your eyes on GOD - Whew! things do start to change.

Last edited by cochrans (1/17/2017 10:06 pm)

1/18/2017 7:34 am  #44

cochrans wrote:

1 Samuel 7

S: Verse 3-4: Then Samuel spoke to all the house of Israel saying "If you return to the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtoreths from among you, and prepare your hearts for the Lord, and serve Him only; and He will deliver you from the hand of the Philistines." So the children of Israel put away the Baals and the Ashtoreths and served the Lord only.

O: If you are serious about coming back and to God, clean your spiritual home.

A: You will need to start putting God FIRST in EVERYTHING. Start by giving him your time, throw away those worldly things that aren't of him. Read, Believe and Stand on his words. Worship HIM solely. When you do these things - God will forever hold you in his arms through ALL situations.

K: Father, I come to you tonight surrendering all of my worldly things and thoughts that I know you wouldn't be pleased with. I know it's going to take time to fully turn my life around but in this chapter you showed Israel that if they cleaned their spiritual lives and only worshiped you - you would take care of them and never leave them. Father you did just that. I'm thanking you in advance for allowing Jesus to intercede on my behalf. Father, I thank you that you will never leave me no matter what situations I face.

Discussion Question: Are there any areas where your heart has secretly gone astray? How can you redirect your heart today?

I have not fully strayed away, but I have been in a valley for three years. I've prayed, I've anointed my home and prayed for a breakthrough. It wasn't until I fully turned this valley over to God that I've seen some change. For starters, since I've started this particular bible study I have done nothing but thirsted for God's word. I've learned that your prayers don't mean anything to God until they really mean something to you. No more going through the motions for me. When you sincerely and fully keep your eyes on GOD - Whew! things do start to change.

I really wish that there was a like button

1/18/2017 9:53 pm  #45

1 Samuel 8

I am so behind.  Work is in full swing, my college class is in full swing.  I am going to try to catch up and check in more often.

S:  8:19 But the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel.

O:  People often go their own way, despite what they know is right.

A:  God desires our obedience.

P:  Lord help me to be disciplined in the areas of my life where I need it.  Remind me of the reasons why, for example, once my boss returns to work in Feb, I will be leaving work by 5 p.m. daily,  I need to remember that the reason I set that goal is so that I can spend more time with my sweet girls and then with my dear husband once the girls are in bed.  This will also allow me to start homework earlier, curbing the cycle of procrastination, staying up late and saving most of it for the weekends.  
God, help others to realize this too.  Others can influence us, pray for us, but letting our hearts and the Holy Spirit lead our lives is something that must be accomplished by establishing a relationship and discipline with You in prayer, in reading the bible, in faith, in breaking down the walls we've built around our hearts and connecting to others.  Breaking bad habits and old ways takes discipline and obedience.  The Lord wants to renew us, but we have to listen to Him and obey Him, which takes practice and can be hard.  Lord, please be patient with me, keep telling me the direction and I will keep trying my best to listen and go forth as you wish to do your will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Ht7p7dLRU  

1/18/2017 10:26 pm  #46

cochrans wrote:

You know this study has radically changed me as well.

I had been in the Word before and thought I was rather knowledgeable about the Word. But I tended to stay in my favorite parts of the Bible. But really reading all of the Bible and digging deep and taking my time reading one chapter, and reading it over and over several times in no rush has just unpacked so much richness that it is so exciting to me and I can't wait for us to start each book.

Even books I was like, "Oh this will be dry" I have found fascinating as God has just opened up His word and shown me who He is.

And yes, you just get thirsty for more and more.

I am so glad God led Courtney to do this and they she has pressed on.

1/18/2017 10:29 pm  #47

1 Samuel 8

S: Verses 4-5: Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah, and said to him, "Look, you are old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

O: Be careful of what you ask for...everything that glitters is not gold. God draws a parallel between the Israelites' forgetfulness of his gracious acts and their lack of appreciation  for Samuel.

A:  Don't forget about the one (GOD)  that helps you through your trials and tribulations, that he loves you in spite of yourself. God will give you the desires of your heart - You just have to be sure that you are communicating with him first. We often think that God grants us our every desire...whether we wait on his answer or not. We become impatient because often our focus is on other things and people when we ask.  We see this happening when things we thought were good for us but ended up being the worst thing we could have asked for. I personally chalk it up to me asking, hearing but not listening and waiting.

K:  Father, I ask that when I ask for things that my vision is tunneled between you and me. I don't want to ask you for things I see others doing or may have. Father, I know that every blessing doesn't come easy - but when I do ask, wait and listen, I know you will bless me beyond measure when I obey you. Thank you for your grace and mercy. Thank you for continually being patient with me.

Last edited by cochrans (1/18/2017 10:35 pm)

1/18/2017 10:33 pm  #48

Alh2017 wrote:

1 Samuel 8

I am so behind.  Work is in full swing, my college class is in full swing.  I am going to try to catch up and check in more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Ht7p7dLRU  

Just hang in there and don't give up even if you read one chapter a week, that is better than giving up and stop reading completely.

And if you don't have time to always write a response at least do your own reading and meditation. To encourage us just stop by and tell us you read and maybe just one sentence of what you got out of it.

I really grow from the input of others and the posting helps keep  us accountable, but first and foremost I want you to have the time to read the Word and sit with God.

So, if can't do a whole SOAK just drop a line to stay accountable, but mainly just keep reading and don't stress about missing a chapter or two or you can overwhelm yourself trying to catch up and then you will give up.

Also, if you use the YouTube icon at the top of the window you write you message in, you can embed YouTube videos. What is a beautiful song. I have never heard it before.

1/18/2017 10:39 pm  #49

cochrans wrote:

I personally chalk it up to me asking, hearing but not listening and waiting.

Amen

1/18/2017 10:40 pm  #50

1 Samuel 8

Scripture
8:5-7.9 "Behold, you are old and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the nations." But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to the LORD. And the LORD said to Samuel, "Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them.
Now then, obey their voice; only you shall solemnly warn them and show them the ways of the king who shall reign over them."

Observation
They had been in this place before when Eli’s sons were evil and God raised up Samuel to lead them. But instead of trusting God to give them a solution, they decided that they knew the best solution. So, instead of calling out to God for help, they came and asked God to give them what they think they needed and what they thought was best.

Application
This reminds me of Courtney’s post about prayer. She talks about how we try to tell God how to answer our prayer they way we think He needs to. We think we know how God should answer our prayers. We pray for what we think should happen then wonder why God does not answer.

God says that we need to pray according to his will. I have been shifting my prayers from being directive, where I tell God what I want and instead ask Him to intervene, direct and show me His heart and will and to transform me and the people I am praying for.

Scripture
8:19-20 But the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel. And they said, "No! But there shall be a king over us, that we also may be like all the nations, and that our king may judge us and go out before us and fight our battles."

Observation
They were looking at ow the world did things and thought the world’s ways were better than God’s and they craved to have what everyone else had. Although this was not necessarily evil or wrong, it was not God’s best.

Also they craved seeing someone lead them in battle more than just knowing that God was leading them.

Application
It is easy to see what everyone else has and long for that ourselves, or to look at the world and allow ourselves to have a desire for those things. Sometimes, even many times, these things are not wrong or bad, but they are not always God’s best, or they can be a distraction from growing in God.

Sometimes, things of this world and the flesh feel more real to us and so we can crave them even more than we crave God. We strongly experience our natural longings. We must cultivate and learn to value the spiritual. We must value the spiritual blessings God has given us and cultivate a more intimate relationship where we long for the intimate presence of God more than anything in this world.

Kneel in Prayer
Father, I ask that you help me to trust Your plans for my future and continue to help me relinquish control and allow You to direct and lead my life. Help me to joyfully accept whatever comes from Your hand and not long for things of the world or long for the things that others have, but to find joy in things You have provided in Your wisdom and foreknowledge.

Board footera