Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2017 10:51 pm  #51

Re: 1 Samuel

TBG wrote:

1 Samuel 8

Kneel in Prayer
Father, I ask that you help me to trust Your plans for my future and continue to help me relinquish control and allow You to direct and lead my life.

Amen, amen and amen. I can't control things when God is in control over everything. 

1/19/2017 9:04 am  #52

1 Samuel 9

Scripture
9:16 "Tomorrow about this time I will send to you a man from the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him to be prince over my people Israel. He shall save my people from the hand of the Philistines. For I have seen my people, because their cry has come to me."

Observation
God’s best was not to have a king; this was not His perfect will. Yet He was going to use this situation for His purpose. His plan for Israel would not be derailed.

Application
Sometimes we can beat ourselves up over past actions, decision, or mistakes and think that we ruined God’s purpose or plan for our life. But God can even take our mistakes and failures and use them to fulfill His purpose for us.

Scripture
9:21 Saul answered, "Am I not a Benjaminite, from the least of the tribes of Israel? And is not my clan the humblest of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin? Why then have you spoken to me in this way?"

Observation
Saul did not have the right credentials. He was God’s choice and not what the world would choose. Saul felt unqualified to be used by God. He could not see how God wanted to use him.

Application
Kind of a straight forward application. I think many of us have had times when we felt intimidated as if we were not qualified to do something God has placed on our hearts. Or we felt like we were not good enough or had made too many mistakes for God to use us, or we just are unqualified, lack skills and abilities.

Like Saul, we can’t always see how God wants to use us. We must trust that if God has called us to something, it is God’s ability and strength working through our submission, surrender and willing heart, that will accomplish His plans. And we are qualified through the blood of Christ and considered to be good enough, pure and holy, through the lens of Jesus.

Kneel in Prayer
God help us to know that You have a purpose to use each of us for Your kingdom. Help us to take heart in knowing that You value our service. Help this knowledge to free us from complacency and procrastination to get up and start using our talents and abilities for You.

Last edited by TBG (1/19/2017 9:06 am)

1/20/2017 9:16 am  #53

1 Samuel 9

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday (it was one of those days)

S: Saul answered, “Am I not a Benjaminite, from the least of the tribes of Israel?  And is not my clan the humblest of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin?  Why then have you spoken to me in this way?” (9:”21)

O: Saul’s response reminds me of Moses’ response to God’s call.  He doesn’t understand how God could be calling a nobody like himself.

A: How often do I question God’s call to do something because I feel that I’m not worthy or qualified?  But that’s exactly the type of person that God can use.  When we step out in faith, relying not on ourselves, but on God, God can do a mighty work.  My response shouldn’t be, “I’m not able,” instead it should be, “in Your strength, Lord.”

Last edited by Michelle (1/20/2017 9:16 am)

1/20/2017 9:17 am  #54

1 Samuel 10

S: “But today you have rejected your God, who saves you from all your calamities and your distresses, and you have said to Him, ‘Set a king over us.’” (10:19)

O: Before God gives them what they asked for, which wasn’t His best for them, He reminds them of what they had.

A: Israel wanted to rely on a man to lead them instead of God.  How often do I rely on myself and not on God?  When a decision is to be made, do I rely on my feelings, or do I seek counsel from others?  What I should do is to seek counsel from God.  Yes, seeking counsel from godly people is good, but it should never be done in place of seeking God myself.

1/20/2017 4:20 pm  #55

1 Samuel 10

Scripture
10:19 But you have now rejected your God, who saves you out of all your disasters and calamities. And you have said, ‘No, appoint a king over us.’ So now present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes and clans.”

Observation
They rejected the God who called them, who saved them, and who was faithful to fulfill all His promises to them because they had an appetite and long for other things.

Application
Do we reject God?

Do we reject the God who redeemed us and purchased us back from our slavery to sin, the God who has saved us from the penalty of our sins, who has taken the wrath justly due to us, who has given us a new heart, who has filled us with His Spirit, who chose us and adopted us as His children, who lavishes undeserved favor and unlimited forgiveness on us? Do we reject the God who has brought us out of our darkness and put our feet on solid ground and filled us with the light of His truth, His presence, and His love?

1 Corinthians 2:9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”

Sadly, we do reject this God sometimes. We know what His heart is on a subject or attitude, but we reject Him because we want what we want. Oh, we would never admit to rejecting Him, we just come up with clever explanations, or extenuating circumstances or we justify our actions with our reason.

Kneel in Prayer
Psalm 27:4 One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.

Lord make that my prayer. May the only thing I desire is to live in the reality and awareness of Your presence, to see and experience Your beauty and to worship in You. Give me a committed heart that desires that and only that and treasures You above all other things.

1/20/2017 4:22 pm  #56

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 9
O: Saul’s response reminds me of Moses’ response to God’s call.  He doesn’t understand how God could be calling a nobody like himself.

A: How often do I question God’s call to do something because I feel that I’m not worthy or qualified?  But that’s exactly the type of person that God can use.  When we step out in faith, relying not on ourselves, but on God, God can do a mighty work.  My response shouldn’t be, “I’m not able,” instead it should be, “in Your strength, Lord.”

Excellent analogy.

That is so right on about  the whole point is for God's strength to be made known.

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 10

A: Israel wanted to rely on a man to lead them instead of God.  How often do I rely on myself and not on God?  When a decision is to be made, do I rely on my feelings, or do I seek counsel from others?  What I should do is to seek counsel from God.  Yes, seeking counsel from godly people is good, but it should never be done in place of seeking God myself.

All too often.

Last edited by TBG (1/20/2017 4:25 pm)

1/22/2017 6:44 pm  #57

Week of January 23
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: 1 Samuel 11
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 11:7
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to the Week
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Though Israel was scared, they feared disobeying God more than they feared their enemies. Who do you tend to fear more, God or man? Why?

Tuesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 12
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 12:24
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Samuel reminded Israel to serve God faithfully because God had done great things for them. What great things has God done for you and how does that motivate you to serve God more?

Wednesday
Reading: 1 Samuel 13
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 13:14
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Saul had a heart that reflected Israel’s heart rather than God’s. A man after God’s own heart, honors God above all. God is still looking for men and women who honor him first. How is your heart today?

Thursday
Reading: 1 Samuel 14
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 14:6
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Jonathan knew the odds were against him but he believed with the help of God, he could have victory. The only thing that hinders God is unbelief. Have you made God too small in your life? In what area do you need to trust God more?

Friday
Reading: 1 Samuel 15
Verse of the Day: 1 Samuel 15:22
Good Morning Girls: Devotional and Video
Optional GMG Discussion Question: Saul’s sacrifices meant little because he had a disobedient heart. Have you ever been tempted to give money or serve God rather than obey Him? How is this type of relationship with God empty?

Last edited by TBG (1/29/2017 9:13 pm)

1/22/2017 9:19 pm  #58

1 Samuel 11

11:6 And the Spirit of God rushed upon Saul when he heard these words, and his anger was greatly kindled.

Observation
The Spirit of God came upon him and kindled his anger. So, it was not wrong for him to be angry. He was angry because wrong was being done to others and because the Ammonites were coming against God’s people and God’s plans. Note, in 10:27 that Saul did not get angry when the people disrespected him.

Application
We can be angry and not be acting sinful. Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin. Jesus got angry. Remember how he drove the money changers out of the temple? But He never got angry when He was insulted only when the Father was dishonored. Righteous anger in not angry that we are dishonored, but when God is dishonored or others are being hurt and oppressed.

11:13 But Saul said, "Not a man shall be put to death this day, for today the LORD has worked salvation in Israel."

Observation
He started so well. He was humble; he was dependent on God; he deflected praise to God.

Application
This is an example of how to lead with humility. It reminds us to rely on God to do the work and rely on God’s abilities, not our own, and living in a way that directs praise to God and that glorifies God.

1/22/2017 10:11 pm  #59

1 Samuel 9

S: vs 21 And Saul answered and said "Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel, and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin?  Why then do you speak like this to me?"

O: I'm not worthy to take on any big responsibilities, how can I possibly fit in or do anything with my background?

A: When we aren't sure how we can undertake a situation, we need to go to GOD immediately. We can seek him while standing in the mist of the situation. God will direct the words of your mouth or actions right then. I know, I've been in a few situations where I knew I wasn't capable or qualified. BUT GOD! He knew exactly where he needed me and equipped me with EVERYTHING I needed.

K: Father, I thank you that I can call on you in a minutes notice and you are ALWAYS there. You said you would never leave me and that you would direct my paths. Father, I want to look to you for EVERYTHING, for I know you know what's best for me and see far ahead then what I can ever imagine. Thank you for continually to keep me in spite of myself. For I know I'm a sinner and at times am not worthy; But you LOVE me and I can't thank you enough.

Discussion Question: How doe this encourage you to see that God does not choose those he uses based on status, wealth or background?

I try to stay encouraged based on previous situations (testimonies) that he has Blessed me through...mainly FAITH. When I'm face with different scenerios that I'm not comfortable in, I go directly to GOD. In my young days when I didn't have a True sincere relationship with God, I foolishly thought I could handle it on my own. I quickly learned that mistake. I know God will equip me with whatever I need if it's where HE wants me to be.

Last edited by cochrans (1/22/2017 10:19 pm)

1/22/2017 11:04 pm  #60

1 Samuel 10

S: [MSG] vs- 7 and 9:  “When these confirming signs are accomplished, you’ll know that you’re ready: Whatever job you’re given to do, do it. God is with you! Saul turned and left Samuel. At that very moment God transformed him—made him a new person! And all the confirming signs took place the same day.

O:  If God brings you to it - He'll see you through it. And while you are going though it the Holy Spirit is grooming you. When the Holy Spirit Blesses you ... You WILL BE CHANGED!

A: When we question God on a task that HE wants us to do, he'll send signs through song, people, the preached word, scripture and often dreams. In the task we will face those who do have faith in the idea/plan or us altogether. If we just continue to pray with mustard seed Faith, God will see you through it.  Your enemies and supporters will be brought on one accord.

K: Father, I'm thankful that all things from you come fully equipped. I don't need anything. I'm thankful that when I'm receiving a Blessing that the Holy Spirit renews me so that I'm in line to receive it. Father please continue to gently show me that I can't do NOTHING on my own. I need to seek you for everything. Remind me that I haven't done ONE thing on my own...you have provided for me from day one and will continue to take care of me until I come home to you. 

Last edited by cochrans (1/22/2017 11:06 pm)

Board footera