Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2017 7:45 am  #61

Re: 1 Samuel

1 Samuel 11

S: Then the dread of the Lord fell upon the people (11:7)

O: The people obeyed Saul, not because of Saul, but because they feared the Lord.    Paul writes in Romans 13:1, “Let every person be subjects to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.”  In 1 Peter 2:13-17, we are exhorted to submit, so that “by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.”  Finally, Paul instructs us to pray for those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-2).  So our submission to governments is an act of obedience to the Lord.

A: This is especially timely for me, as not only did I not vote for Mr. Trump, it frankly sickens me that he was elected.  But, just as for the past eight years I prayed for Mr. Obama, I will spend the next four years praying for Mr. Trump.  I will pray that salvation needs would be met, that his heart will be turned to God, and that the Lord would thwart any evil that he would do.

1/23/2017 9:59 pm  #62

1 Samuel 12

Scripture

12:7 Now therefore stand still that I may plead with you before the LORD concerning all the righteous deeds of the LORD that he performed for you and for your fathers.
12:12 And when you saw that Nahash the king of the Ammonites came against you, you said to me, 'No, but a king shall reign over us,'when the LORD your God was your king.

O: Samuel laid out all the things God had done for them, and yet, they still turned elsewhere.

A: I never thought about it before this study, but it is important to recount all the things God has done for us to remind us who to turn to and to place our hope on. It also helps us to have faith during the difficult times. That is why I really liked kathielee’s God Moments. And, I really have started a God Moment journal. Thanks again for the idea kathielee.

K: Lord You have done everything for me. While I was in darkness, You pursued me. You loved me. You have given me life, hope, and peace, and set my feet on solid rock. You have been faithful to me beyond what I could ever merit. I thank You that You continue to teach me, mold me, and draw me closer to You. Thank you for being faithful to Your promises as You transform me more into the image of Your Son. Help me to faithful to You, to serve You, and be about Your business. Help me to never forget that You are my source. In difficult times may I never turn to anything and anyone other than You. May I turn to You with my heart, my hurts, my hopes, and my fears.

Scripture
12:20-21 And Samuel said to the people, "Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart. And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty.

O: Even in their sin, Samuel encouraged them not to give up because of their sin and figure they can’t serve God or it was too late or no point anymore because of their past sin. Samuel tells them not to be afraid and to serve God single mindedly.

God is the only source of real deliverance. All the worldly things people turn to are useless and will leave one hopeless.

A: Fear and selfishness can lead us to turn aside from obedience and faithfulness to God. And, yes all to often we turn to things that are empty. We turn to things that will never deliver us from our fear or sorrow. What do you turn to?

Scripture
12:22 For the LORD will not forsake his people, for his great name's sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you a people for himself.

O: God chose and will stand by Israel because it pleases Him to do so and because it brings glory to His name. It is not because of anything special in Israel and it is in spite of Israel’s failures and shortcomings.

A: This closely parallels the New Testament teaching about salvation.

Ephesians 1:4–6 even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us for adoption to Himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of His glorious grace, with which He has blessed us in the Beloved.

God saves us for His glory, not because of anything special in us.

Scripture
12:23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way.

O: Wow, this implies that it is a sin not to pray for who God tells us to pray for.

A: Who does God say we should pray for? I have not looked these up, but from memory the Bible definitely says to pray for our ruling authorities, but I think it may also say to pray for church leaders and all the brethren. This would be a good word study to look this up in the New Testament. But, also, anyone that God places on our own hearts.

Scripture
12:24 Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.

O: Samuel is saying that by considering what great things God has done should be the motivation for them to serve Him faithfully and with their whole heart.

A: This reminds me of the verse about presenting our bodies to God as a living sacrifice.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

We must give our daily life to God as a sacrifice. It says that we should do this because it is a reasonable response to the previous chapters where Paul explains the grace shown in God’s plan of salvation, in the gospel message. In the previous chapters Paul lays out how sinful we are and how much we miss the mark, but God’s plan of salvation and reconciliation through His grace and love. Our reasonable response is to sacrifice our lives and our bodies for God.

Psalm 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Optional GMG Discussion Question: Samuel reminded Israel to serve God faithfully because God had done great things for them. What great things has God done for you and how does that motivate you to serve God more?

Just saving me and transforming me. That is the greatest thing God has done for me. I think of the song lyrics: if heaven never was promised to me, neither God’s promise to live eternally it’s been worth just having the Lord in my life, because I was living in a world of darkness and He came along and brought me the light.

Sadly, though, that does not always motivate me to serve God more, I so easily get distracted by my feelings, my desires, my goals, my life. Then when these things come up empty, I want to turn and press back into God.

Last edited by TBG (1/23/2017 10:00 pm)

1/23/2017 10:15 pm  #63

S: 11:12-13 The people said to Samuel who is he who said, Shall Saul reign over us? Bring the men, that we may put them to death But Saul said, there shall not a man be put to death this day, for today the Lord has brought deliverance to Israel

O: The people asked who said Saul should reign over us This verse just confuses me so thats why i picked it. So I keep looking at it.Saul instead of pointing fingers, Praises the Lord for deliverance and protecting Israel. 

A: This tells me I shouldn't judge and point fingers and I should always praise the Lord for our deliverance. 

K: Lord I thank you for all you have done and given me. Thank you for time with my brother and his family including my beautiful nieces. Lord I ask and Pray that you are with me as I continue this study and hear what you are trying to tell me.

Discussion: I'd like to say I always fear God but in reality I do fear man more, I think its part of living in the world and being an imperfect human.  It can be hard to separate from myself form the world.

Last edited by KimberlyP77 (1/23/2017 10:18 pm)

1/23/2017 10:28 pm  #64

KimberlyP77 wrote:

Discussion: I'd like to say I always fear God but in reality I do fear man more, I think its part of living in the world and being an imperfect human.  It can be hard to separate from myself form the world.

It is easy to worry more about what people think of you or your relationships with people more than we think or value what God thinks about us or our relationship with God. I wonder why? Do physical things just seem more real, or are they just more tangible, or do we just focus on them more because they are always present and visible?

1/23/2017 11:47 pm  #65

Tuesdays are long days for me as I volunteer for kids night after work so its late when I get home so here's tomorrow SOAK today. I just also had to say I loved this chapter, so much was jumping out at me. 
1 Samuel 12

S: 20-21 And Samuel said to the people, Fear not you have indeed done all this evil; yet turn not aside from following the Lord, but serve him with all your heart. And turn not aside after vain and worthless things which cannot profit or deliver you for the are empty and futile. 24 Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; for consider how great are the things He has done for you. 

O: Fear Not, Serve him with all your heartDon't turn to worthless things that don't profit or benefit youOnly fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all our heart 

A: We should fear not, and serve Him with all our hearts.We should should only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all our hearts 

K: Lord help me to fear no one but you. I am so very thankful for all you have blessed me with including my separation from my husband, I know with my heart that all is done in your perfect timing, help me to be patient for your timing and to continue to serve, worship and praise you with a joyful heart.

Discussion: He's given me a church family when my own family wasn't there for me, He's strengthen me throughout the separation of my husband and I and has rebuilt my relationship with my family. I love home church and those in Children's Ministry whom I serve I do so with a joyful heart each and every time I walk in those doors, all my worries and fears fall away. My greatest desire is for someday to have my nieces go through the kids program my church offers and for the rest of my family to come to know the Lord.

Last edited by KimberlyP77 (1/23/2017 11:48 pm)

1/24/2017 8:13 am  #66

I Samuel 12

S: Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart.  For consider what great things He has done for you.  (12:24)

O: Even though Israel had sinned in asking for a king, the Lord would still be with them, they just had to follow Him.  And Samuel reminds them to focus on all that the Lord had already done for them so that they remembered His goodness and power.

A: When I doubt God’s goodness, or doubt whether He’ll take care of me, or whether He’s paying attention to what is happening in my life, I need only to look to the past to see Him.  I can look at all that He’s done in my life.  I can focus on how He has strengthened me and taken care of me.  And then I can face the present and future full of confidence in the Lord.

1/24/2017 8:15 am  #67

KimberlyP77 wrote:

S: 11:12-13 The people said to Samuel who is he who said, Shall Saul reign over us? Bring the men, that we may put them to death But Saul said, there shall not a man be put to death this day, for today the Lord has brought deliverance to Israel

O: The people asked who said Saul should reign over us This verse just confuses me so thats why i picked it. So I keep looking at it.Saul instead of pointing fingers, Praises the Lord for deliverance and protecting Israel. 

I had to read the verse a couple of times to understand it as well.  My take is that they are talking about the people from 1 Samuel 10:27 "But some worthless fellows said, "How can this man save us?"  And they despised him and brought him no present.  But he held his peace."

1/24/2017 10:16 am  #68

KimberlyP77 wrote:

Discussion: He's given me a church family when my own family wasn't there for me, He's strengthen me throughout the separation of my husband and I and has rebuilt my relationship with my family. I love home church and those in Children's Ministry whom I serve I do so with a joyful heart each and every time I walk in those doors, all my worries and fears fall away. My greatest desire is for someday to have my nieces go through the kids program my church offers and for the rest of my family to come to know the Lord.

That is beautiful

1/24/2017 9:44 pm  #69

1 Samuel 11

S: vs 12-13 Then the people said to Samuel, "Who is he who said, Shall Saul reign over us? Bring the men that we may put them to death. But Saul said, "Not a man shall be put to death this day, for today the Lord has accomplished salvation in Israel.

O: Saul's victory over the Ammonites gave him the support and allegiance of the people of Israel. Those that were for him all along wanted to kill those who had no faith in his leadership. Saul knew that the victory over the Ammonites was God's doing alone. It was no point in killing the opposers do to their lack of faith.

A: When we are surrounded by those that lack faith in our abilities. We need to go to GOD and ask how we are to handle them. When Gods direction is given and your mission is accomplished, it's no point of rubbing the situation in, God has shown others your attributes. 

K: God, please keep me humble when I know you have turned situations around in my favor. May I continue to seek and hear your voice in handling those who have no faith in what I do.

Discussion Question: Who do you tend to fear more, God or man? Why?

GOD of course. Man has no power (Spiritually) over me. I fear God because he controls every being of me. I can't do ONE thing without him. Man doesn't have a heaven or hell to put me in...God Does.

Last edited by cochrans (1/24/2017 9:46 pm)

1/24/2017 11:12 pm  #70

1 Samuel 12

S:  vs 14 If you fear the Lord and serve Him and obey His voice, and do not rebel against the commandment of the Lord, then both you and the king who reigns over you will continue following the Lord your God.

O: The fear of the Lord is not merely a devoutly religious attitude but a serious and obedient response to the revelation of God's holy character.

A: It's best to not be all sanctimonious and self righteous.We are not better or purer then our Lord God. We are to be serious in our worship and obedient to his word.

S: vs 20-22  Then Samuel said to the people, “Do not fear. You have done all this wickedness; yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart.  And do not turn aside; for then you would go after empty things which cannot profit or deliver, for they are nothing.  For the Lord will not forsake His people, for His great name’s sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you His people.

O: Samuel basically is saying don't fear death for disobedience, don't start turning to idols (Time, Material things) - replacing God. God's name speaks of his reputation and attributes. For God to abandon us would be inconsistent with his reputation for faithfulness.

A: We need to repent from our evil and sinful ways. Don't start turning to things that aren't of GOD. Spending unnecessary money and giving ALL our time to worldly things. God is a forgiving God whose whole purpose is Love. 

K: God, thank you for gently reminding me to stay humble when you shine me before my doubters, thank you for disciplining me when I have just flat out sinned without remorse. Father, I'm your child. Help me to stay focused on the prize (you Father) that I may stay away from all the worldly things that mean me no good. Lord, I know that you will NEVER leave me. You've told me that you wouldn't. I'm so grateful that every word you speak shows the love that you have for me. 

Discussion Question: What great things has God done for you and how does that motivate you to serve God more?

When God wakes me up each day and allows me to see another 24 hours over and over again to get it right....that motivates me. This lets me know that my job is not complete here on this earth. For if it was, I'd be home at rest. I'm forever grateful. 

Last edited by cochrans (1/24/2017 11:14 pm)

Board footera