Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2017 9:54 pm  #91

Re: 1 Samuel

TBG wrote:

1 Samuel 16

Scripture
16:6 When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, "Surely the LORD's anointed is before him."

Observation: He was not waiting to hear God speak, but just jumping to conclusions about what must be God’s will.

Application:
We can do that too. We can jump the gun and not wait for God to speak.

I don’t mean to imply that we should be passive and refuse to move out on anything or to initiate anything until we hear some big sign from God. That is not what I mean.

But sometimes we don’t inquire of God and seek to hear His leading, or we are not sensitive to His leading we just push like a bull in a china shop and start doing everything we think we should be doing.

We can presume oh, this must obviously be what God desires and run ahead of God’s plan without really ever asking Him to lead us.

Scripture
16:18 One of the young men answered, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him."

16:21-22 And David came to Saul and entered his service. And Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor-bearer. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David remain in my service, for he has found favor in my sight."

May people smell the fragrance of God in our lives. May the presence of God pour out of us, and His Holy Spirit shine through us. When people look at us, may they not see us, but God. And may that be what makes us beautiful, loved, and favored, not fleeting physical beauty or fickly charm and personality.

I thought, how would the fragrance of God come out of me and thought of this list based on the verses listed at the end. I need to be:
- just: do what is right
- merciful: kindness, overlooking people’s transgressions, giving people a blessing for cursing, not giving people what they deserve
- humble: not to think more highly of ourselves than we should
- set our minds on things above, not be tied to this earth
- love as Christ has loved us and give ourselves up for others

Micah 6:8, Micah 6:8 (ESV), Proverbs 19:11, Romans 12:3, Colossians 3:1-4, John 13:34-35, Philippians 2:3-8

LOVE THIS! I want to smell nothing but of GOD!  Thank you for these verses. I will reference back to them!

2/04/2017 10:00 pm  #92

TBG wrote:

1 Samuel 15

Scripture
15:9 But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and of the oxen and of the fattened calves and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them. All that was despised and worthless they devoted to destruction.

O: I see two points. (1) They saved the best for themselves. (2) They coveted what was God’s, what belonged to God and what was owed God.

A:
(1) We save the best for ourselves: the best energy, time, money, things and give God our left overs.

I need to wake up and think first of God’s agenda and stop letting my desires fill my heart and my thoughts. I need to pursue His agenda without division or distraction.

Now, I do want to add that some of you are probably emotionally and physically exhausted with what is on your plate. And if you don’t find time with God, it may not be because you are not giving Him your best, but just because you have so much on your plate that you are empty and have nothing left to emotionally and energy wise. Maybe you are not just wasting time on TV or the Internet, but are just so tapped out you have nothing left to give and need to veg out.

First, remember, there is not condemnation for those who are in Christ Romans 8:1. There is a difference between conviction and condemnation.

Condemnation is from the enemy. Remember, works are not the goal, they are the outcome. Jesus paid all the penalty for our failures. Conviction is God showing us what we need to change or what is unpleasing to Him so we can repent. But we are not condemned, we are saved, loved and forgiven by the blood of Christ and loved so much that while we were God’s enemy He loved us, pursued us and died for us.

Now, maybe instead of vegging out, you need to be filled up. You are empty by the end of the day and maybe instead of giving more you need to seek being filled back up. Some ideas that don’t require energy or concentration are:

- Sing worship songs quietly to yourself, or listen to worship songs while sitting still in a quiet place.
- Just pray. Not concentrated prayer where you are trying to focus on some formula or right way to pray. Just pour out your thoughts, heart, emotions, and fears, anything, to God as you would to a dear friend.
- Ok, and, yes, try to read the Bible. Maybe don’t try to do a SOAK or some type of interpretation or analysis. Maybe just read a Psalm, a Gospel, or one of the epistles. Or, you can just even our readings for just devotional purposes and to just read the story.

2) We hold back the best part of our hearts. We don’t let God into every area or we want to hold onto things or treasure our sinful heart attitudes or thoughts. We refuse to sacrifice them, we spare them, just as Saul spared Agag.

3) We covet what belongs to God. God is owed our obedience, allegiance, control and sometimes even His glory. We want to elevate ourselves or make ourselves look good instead of wanting people to look through us to see God at work in us and therefore to bring God glory.

ALL OF THIS. I'm ALWAYS in a hurry to get the word in...NEVER Meditating on it. I'm going to start doing just as you've noted. Thank you for the word. This has hit me to my CORE.

2/04/2017 10:48 pm  #93

Samuel 15 

S: MSG: verse 22-23: Then Samuel said, Do you think all God wants are sacrifices - empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production. Not doing what God tells you is far worst than fooling around in the occult. Getting self-important around God is far worse than making deals with your dead ancestors. Because you said NO to God's command, he says No to your kingship.

O:  To obey is better than sacrifice. Samuel emphasized that sincerity and obedience were the requirements to worship that pleased God. Saul's stubborn disobedience was essentially and act of idolatry because it elevated his will above God's will.

A: How often do we put on Godly shows? We can fool people but not GOD! We act like we are following God but behind closed doors we're following our own agendas. (Filled with our own desires) Not what God wants us to do. That's why Leadership is very important. You may think you are a leader but in all actuality GOD needs to call you to that position.

Samuel 16

S: 
MSG: verse 7: But God told Samuel, "Looks aren't everything. Don't be impressed with his looks and stature. I've already eliminated him. God judges persons differently than humans do. Men and women look at the face; God looks into the heart."

O:  What glitters on the outside isn't gold on the inside. The state of a mans heart was far more significant than natural ability and physical appearance.

A: Do people see God in my heart? Do my actions reflect God?

K: Father, I pray that when people see me, when they talk to me that their discernment will be that I'm your child.  I look like you and I act like you. That is my prayer. Amen.

Samuel 17

S: MSG: 45-47 -
David answered, “You come at me with sword and spear and battle-ax. I come at you in the name of God-of-the-Angel-Armies, the God of Israel’s troops, whom you curse and mock. This very day God is handing you over to me. I’m about to kill you, cut off your head, and serve up your body and the bodies of your Philistine buddies to the crows and coyotes. The whole earth will know that there’s an extraordinary God in Israel. And everyone gathered here will learn that God doesn’t save by means of sword or spear. The battle belongs to God—he’s handing you to us on a platter!”

O:  David intended his victory to demonstrate to all the earth that the God of Israel exists and he delivers his own against overwhelming odds. 

A: I don't have to have all the smarts,the muscles or great armor and weapons.When I come to battle, I have GOD in my back pocket.(That's ALL that I need) That's the mindset we should have in every physical and spiritual battle. ISAIAH 54:17 - No weapon formed against you will prevail, and you will  refute every tongue that accuses you.

I loved these three chapters. So revelant to what we are seeing in the world today...

Last edited by cochrans (2/04/2017 10:52 pm)

2/04/2017 11:11 pm  #94

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 19

S: Then a harmful spirit from the Lord came upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear n his hand.  And David was playing the lyre (19:9).

O: Matthew Henry points out the connection between this verse and Ephesians 4:26 – 27, “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.”  Saul’s anger towards and jealously of David made room for the evil spirit.

A: When we allow anger to take root in our heart – even justifiable and righteous anger – it can lead to bitterness.  And bitterness never leads to anything good.  Let us lay our anger before the throng of God.  If it is righteous anger, let the Holy Spirit use it to spur us to action.  If it is not righteous anger, let us leave it with God.

Amen. We nurture so many things that just give the devil an opening and a foothold in our lives.

2/04/2017 11:12 pm  #95

1 Samuel 20

20:15 and do not cut off your steadfast love from my house forever, when the LORD cuts off every one of the enemies of David from the face of the earth."

Jonathan says “when” God establishes David. Jonathan was submissive to David’s future authority.

20:30-31 Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said to him, "You son of a perverse, rebellious woman, do I not know that you have chosen the son of Jesse to your own shame, and to the shame of your mother's nakedness? For as long as the son of Jesse lives on the earth, neither you nor your kingdom shall be established. Therefore send and bring him to me, for he shall surely die."

No, to the credit of his character and to his faithfulness in honoring God’s will above his own will and desires. Jonathan was a man who was obedient to God, faithful, and selfless.

A: Are we really willing to be obedient to God and faithful to whatever God is placing on our heart? Are we really submissive to others (in appropriate circumstances)? Or do we push for our own desires?

2/04/2017 11:26 pm  #96

cochrans wrote:

ALL OF THIS. I'm ALWAYS in a hurry to get the word in...NEVER Meditating on it. I'm going to start doing just as you've noted. Thank you for the word. This has hit me to my CORE.

So glad that blessed you.

And since you commented on my Chapter 16 post, it helped me reread those words and I really needed to hear them right now. I was wanting to reach out to someone, which is a good, godly and Christian thing to do, right?

But, my husband has concerns about me doing this. I had been praying for God to change his heart and to work out me being able to see this person and praying for this person to have a tender heart and for God to use me the reach her.

I asked my friend to pray about me spending some time with this person. My friend said well has the Holy Spirit told you to do this, because I would think if you told your husband that the Holy Spirit put this on your heart he would not disagree. She said all I hear is you saying you want to meet with this person.

Wow, that is just what I was posting in chapter 16 about not jumping to conclusions and waiting to hear God speak and lead. So, I started readjusting my prayers to ask God what He wants me to do and whatever He wants me to do to make that clear to me and my husband.

2/04/2017 11:50 pm  #97

cochrans wrote:

Samuel 15 

S: MSG: verse 22-23: Then Samuel said, Do you think all God wants are sacrifices - empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production. Not doing what God tells you is far worst than fooling around in the occult. Getting self-important around God is far worse than making deals with your dead ancestors. Because you said NO to God's command, he says No to your kingship.

O:  To obey is better than sacrifice. Samuel emphasized that sincerity and obedience were the requirements to worship that pleased God. Saul's stubborn disobedience was essentially and act of idolatry because it elevated his will above God's will.

Whoa, how could I have not seen that! You really point out and make me really think about that, being disobedient and arrogant is worse than practicing witchcraft!

That translation really brought that home.

The New Living Translation says. "Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubbornness as bad as worshiping idols."

May we come before God with obedient lives and sincere and humble hearts as we go to worship Him.

2/05/2017 6:48 am  #98

1 Samuel 20

S: And when the new moon came, the king sat down to eat food.  (20:24)

O: This was not a normal meal, but a public one after extra sacrifices were made (Numbers 28:11-15).  Even though Saul had turned from God, he still kept up the pretense of worship.

A: So often I have looked on people that seem to be super-Christians and envied their walk.  They do Bible studies all of the time, they can quote Scripture for every situation, and they always seem to have it all together.  Then, as I get to know them, I realize that for some of them, it’s mainly external, that their heart was far from God.  And then there are others who quietly go about their lives, who struggle to find time for Bible study and “formal” prayer, but yet have such a sweet, godly spirit, and such a beautiful relationship with the Lord.  They have purposed to seek the Lord in the everyday messiness of life.

2/05/2017 1:46 pm  #99

1 Samuel 18

My Chapter Overview:

S & O: Verses 6-16; 27-30; When GOD is on your side. Man has no power over you. Saul tried on several occasions to defeat David. Every trick was overturned. Why? David was a man after God's own heart AND David was obedient to God's word.

A: We have to be careful in how we treat and look at others. Every time we wrong others, it comes back tenfold to us. 

DQ: Jealousy divides. Do you struggle with jealousy in any of your friendships? - Yes. I have one friendship that I'm intimidated by. Everything just seems to ALWAYS go right. Even when I know some things are not of God in what the person is doing. However, God quickly brings me back to remind me that I don't see the whole picture. This is what helps me retract the green eyes.

1 Samuel 19

S and O:
verses 19-24 Ha! Saul just didn't get it. He already seen that David had the Blessing of God on his life. Saul's decaying mental and spiritual state is reflected in his words to his messengers. He feared and hated David so much that he was willing to murder a man lying sick in his bed. Play with God and he'll put something on you! Every time we come with the spirit of the Devil, God counteracts it with HIS holy spirit. MERCY!  He made Saul look like a fool...

A:  How often have we disliked a person or a situation so bad that we'd do anything in our power to hurt that person or try to turn the situation around to benefit our own agenda? This chapter is the most powerful so far to me. I'm going to play on the words from Michelle Obama - When WE go low - GOD goes HIGH! And wins EVERY TIME!

K: Thank you Lord that I don't test your will; Thank you Lord for placing people who genuinely love me and want to protect me in my life. Thank you Lord for reminding me that no matter how the Devil wants me to hate and  be deceitful at times, You counteract EACH TIME.  Thank you Father for continually showing me WHO YOU ARE!

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! I needed this Chapter as a reminder of WHO and WHAT GOD IS!

DQ: How has God used a difficult situation in your life for good? I believe the situation I'm in now  in taking care of an elderly parent who was SO STRONG but yet so weak and childlike now is one. I've been feeling low for three years. I'm allowing GOD to turn it around for me. I've learned that I can't and should not have EVER tried to take care of it on my own. Instead of seeking him on certain things, I'm learning to seek him on ALL things. He is showing me especially through this study how a hardened heart can be turned around. I'm seeking him diligently now. And I'm starting to honestly LOVE IT! Before, it's been going through the emotions. However, Its REAL NOW!

​1 Samuel 20

S & O: Verses 35-42 - On the third day, Jonathan went to the field to signal to David that he should flee the court of Saul. However, Jonathan's love for David would not allow him to stop at a simple signal. He got rid of his servant and at great personal risk went to meed David one last time. Before leaving David and Jonathan wept together. Both were  valiant warriors but also men of tender hearts. They were loyal friends and committed to each other even in difficult circumstances. At their parting the two friends reiterated their covenant of friendship.

A; Oh what a beautiful  and true friend. When God blesses a friendship, nothing can tear you apart. We need more friendships like this. One that Loves the Lord, one that is Obedient to God's word, and one that protects each other.

DQ: When have you gone through a time of learning greater dependence on God? How did it prepare you for your future trials? I'm in that season now. Taking care of my Mother...I'm finding out more and more that I need to consult him for everything. I'm seeing that things that should tear me up doesn't. For I know who's got me and he's going to continue to take me where I should go. I just need to make sure I don't get distracted to long...got to keep my eye on the prize...GOD!

2/05/2017 1:54 pm  #100

Michelle wrote:

1 Samuel 18

S: As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul (18:1).

O: David had just faced Goliath with the same faith and bravery that Jonathan had faced the Philistine army with (1 Samuel 14).

A: Do I find myself drawn to people who live worldly lives or to people who live lives that seek God?  When I surround myself with friends who are more concerned with the things of this world, I find my faith taking a backseat.  But when I surround myself with friends who are seeking after the Lord my faith and my walk is strengthened.

I totally understand your response. I use to think it was important to be around worldly people. But at the end of the day I was empty. Being around those that are equally yoked is so important to me now. We can build each other up, strengthen our faith and be prepared to reach those that are still in the world. Love your answer. Made me think of how I use to be.

Board footera