Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2017 6:42 am  #51

Re: Luke

Luke 16

S: And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts.  For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.” 16:15

O: The Pharisees were all about putting on a good show.  They prayed often, and publically, you always knew when they were fasting, everything was done for all to see.  In all of that, though, their hearts were turned from God, so all that they did was in vain.

A: Yes, God wants my obedience, but more importantly, He wants my heart.  If all I do is go through the motions, I will be found wanting before the Lord.  The Lord tells us that He, “sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart,” (1 Samuel 16:7).  When my heart is right before God, the rest will follow.

4/03/2017 8:19 am  #52

Luke 16

16:10-12 "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own?

I applied this to all of our resources, talents, and blessings, and not just money.

According to MacArthur, faith is the surrender of will. The object of faith is God – so we have faith in God, not in ourselves or in the strengths of our faith. And God is the source of faith; our faith comes from God.

I need to use my measure of faith to properly use God’s talents and resources as good steward. I need to be faithful with what God has given me. As I am faithful with acting on the ability I have to surrender my will to God, He will give me more faith, more ability to surrender my will further in other areas and I am transformed more into His image.

But, if I don’t even respond to my current measure of faith, the current place I am in being able to surrender my will in certain areas, if I don’t even use that will to do God’s work and use it in wise and responsible and effective manner, why should God help me to continue to surrender my will in other areas? If I am not even using what He has done for His glory.

4/03/2017 8:23 am  #53

Michelle wrote:

Luke 16

S: And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts.  For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.” 16:15

O: The Pharisees were all about putting on a good show.  They prayed often, and publically, you always knew when they were fasting, everything was done for all to see.  In all of that, though, their hearts were turned from God, so all that they did was in vain.

A: Yes, God wants my obedience, but more importantly, He wants my heart.  If all I do is go through the motions, I will be found wanting before the Lord.  The Lord tells us that He, “sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart,” (1 Samuel 16:7).  When my heart is right before God, the rest will follow.

Thanks for helping me look at that verse again. Sometimes there is so much to glean we can miss key points.

"justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts"

We can spend so much time trying to justify ourselves before man, but are we passionate about justifying ourselves before God? Purifying our hearts so that we will be pleasing to God.

Excellent point. Thanks.

4/04/2017 2:24 pm  #54

Luke 17

S: “So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’” 17:10

O: God doesn’t really need us.  He is complete without us and can accomplish His will without us.  We, however, are nothing without God.  Therefore, my service to God is profitable to me, but adds nothing to God.

A: When I serve with an attitude of “look at me, aren’t I wonderful,” my service is tainted.  When I serve God as He has called mi it is really only giving back to Him that which He deserves and a small portion at that.  I have life because of Him, therefore my life I should give back, not because I have any merit or specialness, but because I owe Him everything.

4/04/2017 5:07 pm  #55

Luke 17

17:5-6 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

Observation
Faith is a surrender of will.

From Matthew Henry, they were asking that God perfect what is lacking in it: the desires of faith more strong, the dependences of faith more firm and fixed, the dedications of faith more entire and resolute, and the delights of faith more pleasing.

The apostles lost heart in thinking they could not live up to these standards. Jesus assured them that even small faith can be effective and be used to do great things for His kingdom.

We are talking about His kingdom here, not just whatever we want.

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 1 John 5:14

Application
We only need a little faith to accomplish God’s plans. If we have real faith, no matter how small, like a mustard seed grows into a large bush, so our faith with grow. As we exercise our measure of faith, the surrender of our will, we will grow in our ability to surrender more and more of ourselves and our trust in God will grow more and more.

4/04/2017 7:27 pm  #56

Luke 18

I have an early and long day tomorrow, so posting this today.

Scripture 18:17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

O: Children have dependence and trust
A: Do I really have dependence on God, or do I basically depend and trust in myself, my ability, my wisdom? Or do I uncompromisingly depend on and trust God, God’s goodness, and God’s provision even when I can’t see it? Do I trust God to be enough?

Scripture 18:22-23 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.

Observation:
Jesus is not saying everyone who is rich has to give up their money, but this particular young man because of his great love for his money, he needed to get this source of sin out of his life.

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 17

Note, it says nothing about telling those who are rich to give away all of their money.

Application:
We all must give up all that we have and follow Christ. What are we unwilling to give up to follow Christ?

We must be willing to give away our very lives. 17:33

Scripture 18:31 And taking the twelve, he said to them, "See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished.
18:34 But they understood none of these things. This saying was hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was said.

Observation
The disciples and Pharisees could not see it even though it had been laid out in the scriptures. We need the Holy Spirit to open our eyes to His truth.

My Bible notes indicate that perhaps another reason that they could not see the truth was that they were enamored with their ideas of the conquering victorious Messiah and this obsession blinded them to the truth.

Application
We can get so hung up on our own vision of how we think things will go that we can’t see God’s vision, and His vision sometimes leads through pain.

4/05/2017 6:02 am  #57

TBG wrote:

I have an early and long day tomorrow, so posting this today.

Praying that your day isn't too long today.

4/05/2017 7:10 am  #58

I've been ready but haven't been able to get on, It seems to work if I work on my soaks during lunch, 
Luke 15

Luke 15:8  S  Suppose a woman has 10 Silver Coins but she loses one of them, she will take light and clean the house, she will look carefully for the coin until she finds it.

O: in my study bible i read that the 10 silver coins is about a days wage, when I digged dipper in a commentary,  I got more.  God wants us to see the importance of restoration of lost souls.

A:  The parable reminds me that God is always seeking us, those who have given their lives to him and those that are still lost. 

K: Lord I pray that I will always want to seek you and I also pray for those who are lost, including my own family, though they may believe in you they do not have a relationship with you, may they see you through me or someone else in their lives.

4/05/2017 7:15 am  #59

Luke 16

Luke 16:15

S: Jesus said to them, " You try to make yourselves look good in the eyes of other people, but God knows your heart.  What people think is worth a lot is hated by God.

O: No matter what you try and do on the outside,  God see whats on the inside of people.

A: Don't go around trying to please everyone else,  Seek and do what is pleasing to God, as an early verse states, you can't serve two masters.

K: God help me to always seek and serve only you, and to stop trying to please others.

4/06/2017 7:04 am  #60

Luke 19

S: “For the Son of Man came to see and to save the lost.” 19:10

O: The Pharisees figured that when the Messiah came, He would come to them and reward them because they were such good and righteous people – at least in their own eyes.  But that’s not what Jesus did, or why He came.  He came to call sinners to repentance and salvation.

A: I am so glad that Jesus seeks and saves the lost, that I didn’t have to do anything to merit salvation.  If my salvation relied at all on me, I would still be lost.

Board footera