Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2014 3:28 pm  #11

Re: Genesis

Chapter 4

9And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother?

Why did God ask Cain, where is your brother. Just like he asked Adam and Eve who told them they were naked… Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

God knew the answer. I think he offers us a chance to redeem ourselves and tell the truth. Not commit another sin. Cain had already sinned by killing his brother but now he was committing another sin by lying. God knows our heart and allows us to confess and clean our soul. Cain could have confessed that he was jealous and asked for mercy. Instead he choose to lie and commit another sin.

Thanks.

10/01/2014 5:08 pm  #12

@NLWnMD and @TBG - hilarious!! 

10/01/2014 8:48 pm  #13

NLWnMD wrote:

I think he offers us a chance to redeem ourselves and tell the truth.

What a beautiful thoughtl.  Yes, another example of God's tender heart to us.  He judges because He is holy and must judge sin, but He is always longing for us just to confess and come to Him so that he can redeem and restore us.

10/02/2014 7:04 am  #14

Genesis 4

- Cain was upset that his offering was not accepted.
- We get upset when we do not get the recognition or acceptance we want or think we deserve.
- We bring the things we want to bring to God, and not what He ask us to bring.
- We try to give external religious sacrifices but we don’t really have a transformed heart for God.

For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 
Psalm 51:16-17

But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. John 4:23

In the North American church, we seem to have a lot of people who claim the label of “Christian” and even those of us who are saved sometimes live with just externally not doing the “really bad” sins or the “externally or overtly obvious” sins

But our hearts and not really set to surrender to God’s will and to serve God with our whole being.  We embrace worldly things, the world’s values, our own desires, our own glory, and our own esteem.

But the time is getting short, it is time to worship God in ways acceptable to Him – we need to have broken spirits and contrite hearts; we need to worship God in the integrity of our hearts, and according to His truth.

A paraphrase of Psalms 51:16-17
Going through the motions doesn’t please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you.  I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. (MSG)

It is a broken spirit you want—remorse and penitence. (TLB)
Penitence - regret for one's wrongdoing and having an inclination (tendency of spirit) to a change made by correction

So, God want us to shatter our pride and to so deeply regret wrongdoing that our hearts desires is to changing and correcting the error of our previous ways.

10/02/2014 7:05 am  #15

Genesis 4 Part II

Scripture
Gen 4:7 If you do well, will you not be accepted?  And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door.  It’s desire if for you, but you must rule over it.

Observation
- Cain became jealous that Abel was honored
- Cain rejected God’s wisdom

Application
- We get jealous when God honors someone else, but the real question is, are we honoring God?
- Will we be honored by God when we are serving Him and doing what is acceptable in His eyes?
- We reject God’s wisdom by compromising in our lives; compromising in areas we know are against Biblical teachings
- We need to submit to God’s ways and God’s plans for us.
- We need to get hung up on the fact that God has different, or “better” plans for someone else? Why are we to worry about what God is doing in or for other people, we need to just follow and submit to Him.

John 21:18-22 (Jesus speaking to Peter)
Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.” Peter turned and saw [John] When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

What is it to us what God is doing in and for other people, what is to us if God has honored or elevated other people, we need to just follow Him.  Follow me.

Last edited by TBG (10/02/2014 11:16 am)

10/02/2014 5:12 pm  #16

Chapter 5

Honesty, I do not care for history/genealogy and have always found it not interesting (just my personal opinion). However, I studied chapter 1 and even decided to log into facebook to see what others were saying to try to make it more interesting. While I realize I should not consider any part of the bible not interesting, I'm just being honest. Anyway, there's a posting on FB by Laurie Messer and she includes what the Hebrews names mean in English that she learned from a Pastor years ago. So, I found that interesting and it made be realize sometimes we just need to be a little patient as there just may be a lesson there for us.

10/02/2014 6:08 pm  #17

NLwnMD, I think that is just a reality that not every chapter speaks to us.  And like you said maybe at another time it will, or maybe not.  If you saw the email I sent, I confessed that I at first was not really that excited about starting Genesis

Chapter 5

Scripture
22 -24… Enoch walked with God … three hundred years, and had sons and daughters.  So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.  And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

Observation
The Matthew Henry commentary notes how walking with God signifies: Godliness is walking with God: which shows reconciliation to God, for two cannot walk together except they be agreed; while others lived to themselves and the world, he lived to God. Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary.

And Enoch walked with God -- a common phrase in Eastern countries denoting constant and familiar intercourse.    (from Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary)

Application/Conjecture
Just conjecture, but it seems that perhaps Enoch was so faithful that God felt he had accomplished his work here on earth and so therefore took him to himself.  But I also think with Methuselah, that sometime when people have a good, happy and long life it can be because they also are being faithful and being used greatly by God.  I don’t know.  Just a thought.

10/03/2014 4:57 pm  #18

Genesis 6
The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

So sad that we hurt God so much by our continual rejection of His provision and His ways.  Here we are only a few generations out after God responded to Adam and Eve's rejection with such grace and offering them a plan of redemption and people have allready turned from Him completely.  God was grieved because He wanted a relationship with them.

10/03/2014 8:47 pm  #19

Genesis 6

6 And it it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

The Lord regretted that he had made man on earth. That is rgeally deep to regret making man. It also had to be a sad sight and offensive to God to have to witness so much evil and wickedness and to have to regret making man., which was indicated not only in verse 6 but again in verse 7. It appears that all of man, except Noah, was wicked, evil, filled the land with violence, outrage, assault and lust for power. Sadly, the evil appeared to be on purpose not unintentionally.

Am I living like Noah, a just and righteous person or am I living with an evil and wick heart and attitude?  What’s in my heart?  Am I intentionally sinning or only sinning through carelessness?  I need to continuously work on my walk with God so that I am always moving towards walking like Noah with a pure and righteous heart. When I have bad or evil thoughts or a bad attitude, I need to quickly make the necessary adjustment to guard my heart and replace it with kindness and ways that are pleasing to God.

Question: The 3rd verse, when the Lord said, your days are numbered, does that mean before he destroyed the world, he gave man 120 years to repent, clean up their act? Man did not, so the Lord moved forwarded with his plan.

3Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with[a] humans forever, for they are mortal[b]; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

10/04/2014 3:11 am  #20

Genesis 6

Wow, so this is why we stopped living for 100s of years. Sigh. Well, that sucks.

"Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.” (‭Genesis‬ ‭6‬:‭3‬ NLT)

Board footera