Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2017 2:40 pm  #31

Re: Romans

esuzannah wrote:

Chapters 6 & 7 wow so much to soak in.

Discussion question- one of my biggest sin struggles is anger/impatience with my children. (And sometimes other people too!) And it seems I cannot break free from it-- these chapters give me hope that I can and I will, that I am not alone.

Vs. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under the law but under grace."

At some point in time I had written beside this verse in my bible this note: "causes the 10 commandments to read like promises." Wow....if you are struggling do that! And put your name in there- Suzannah shall not... It's quite powerful to put your name in like that to see what Christ has done for us.

I know how you feel. That is why I think chapter 7 just so speaks how I feel. We long to do right yet don't do what we long to do. And I really have problems with impatience as well that stems from being controlling and more task oriented than people oriented, so the task is what is important and doing it correctly and efficiency is what I just naturally fall into and don't always think of being gentle.

I have been reading a book about Romans as I go along and it has been mind blowing. I am trying to summarize the authors key points to share as a blog post at the end of this week (not the one I publish today, but one I am still working on).

It has been really helping get a grasp on walking in the Spirit and abiding in Christ so that I don't focus on me at all or what I want but just focus on caring about other people and how I can be an agent of Christ and love and not pushing for things to be about my expectations or desires and trusting the Spirit to accomplish all things He desires to be accomplished.

The book is The Normal Christian Life, by Watchman Nee.

Last edited by TBG (8/27/2017 2:54 pm)

8/27/2017 2:47 pm  #32

Week 6 Devotion: Freedom from Sin

These chapters have been blowing my mind. So profound and so challenging. I have been trying to wrestle with what this means. We see in Chapter 6 the assertion that we do not have to sin and are free from sin. Then Chapter 7 shares how much Paul indeed struggles with sin.

So, as usually, I went to John MacArthur to see if he had any insight on this. I found an article entitled, Freedom from Sin. Although I encourage you to read it, as usually, MacArthur has never heard of the term, brevity. Of course it is excellent and it is long because he is so thorough and detailed in unpacking his theology. But, I do want to share excerpts from the article to get across some key points.

Freedom from Sin
Chapter 6 emphasizes the new creation, the new nature, the new identity, the new person in Christ, and the holiness of the believer. In his new redeemed self, the believer is no longer under sin’s dominion. However, chapter 7 gives the other side.

Every Christian knows from experience that though he is a new creature in Christ, sin is still a problem. In fact, that conflict is pointed out even in chapter 6: “Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness” (vv. 12–13). Because it’s still possible for Christians to yield to sin, we are commanded not to.

We’re looking to that day when we are redeemed in body as well as soul. So Paul thanks God in Romans 7:25 that the end of the conflict will come through Christ when we enter into His presence and are glorified.

We will see when we read Romans 8 that Paul was assured of the ultimate triumph through Jesus Christ over the conflict with sin.

Yet the battle goes on. The battle won’t be over until Jesus gives us immortality. Full deliverance awaits glorification. But we can experience victory here and now in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The terms Paul uses in Romans 7 are so precise that we can’t miss his struggle with sin. He states that he hates committing sin (v. 15), loves righteousness (vv. 19, 21), delights in the law of God from the bottom of his heart (v. 22), and thanks God for the deliverance that is his in Christ (v. 25). Those are the responses of a mature Christian.

I believe Romans 7:14–25 is Paul’s own testimony of how it is to live as a Spirit controlled, mature believer. He loves the holy law of God with his whole heart, but finds himself wrapped in human flesh and unable to fulfill it the way his heart wants him to.

The Struggle
Romans 7:14–25 is a picture of indwelling sin in the life of a believer. It contains a series of laments—desperate, repetitious cries of a distressed soul in great conflict.

While Paul delights in God’s law, he confesses there’s a barrier that prevents him from always obeying it: his carnal or fleshly nature. He doesn’t say he was in the flesh or controlled by the flesh. Romans 8:8–9 says to its Christian audience, “Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. However, you are not in the flesh.” The phrase “in the flesh” refers to an unregenerate condition.

Although Christians are not in the flesh, the flesh is still in us. Were no longer held captive to it, but we can still act fleshly or carnal.

In 1 Corinthians 3 Paul says, “I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.…For you are still fleshly; for since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?” (vv. 1, 3). He reproved the Corinthian Christians for acting in a fleshly or non-Christian way.

In Romans 7 Paul says, “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh....I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin” (vv. 18, 25). He admits that the flesh is still present. Flesh is simply a term for our humanness.

Any Christian could make the statement in verse 14. Saying you’re carnal is the same as saying you’re a sinner. For example, when I am angry, insensitive, or don’t pursue God as diligently as I desire, I see my humanness getting in the way of accomplishing all I ought to do.

Paul states in verse 14 that he is “sold into bondage to sin.” Verse 23 gives us a similar statement: “I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin.”

But how can that be since we as Christians have been delivered from sin? The phrase “sold into bondage to sin” is literally translated “having been sold under the sin” That refers to the sin principle, the product of the Fall of man, not to individual sins committed.

Being “sold into bondage to sin” doesn’t mean Paul actively committed himself to sinning. It means he recognized that in this life we as believers will constantly have to battle sin because of our human nature.

How can this Be?
Can Paul’s lament of being sold under sin come from a true believer? In Psalm 51:5 David says, “Surely I have been a sinner from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me” (NIV). That sounds like a man who had never been redeemed, doesn’t it? But David was simply looking at one reality about himself.

His lament is similar to that of Isaiah, who upon seeing a vision of God said, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips” (Isaiah 6:5). All the prophet could see against the glorious holiness of God was his own sin.

Paul put all our experiences with sin into words in Romans 7:14–25. We all know there sin in our lives even though it shouldn’t be there. Although sin is not the product of our new self, we’re still bound to some degree by the body we dwell in. Verse 14 could be paraphrased, “The law is spiritual, but I am unspiritual, experiencing a bondage to sin at times.”

A self-righteous person deceives himself into thinking he is moral, but Romans 7:15 shows that a Christian led by the Spirit will not. He sees the proof of indwelling sin. Paul’s failure to do what he desired and his doing what he hated reflects a profound inner turmoil. His will was frustrated by his sinful flesh. It’s not that evil won all the time, but that he was frustrated in his attempt to perfectly obey God.

The Spiritual Person
The spiritual person has a broken and contrite heart, realizing he can’t be all that God wants him to be. Sad to say, many Christians have yet to reach that point. That’s because their comprehension of God’s holy law is so shallow.

Do you know what makes a Christian want to carry out God’s law? His new nature within, which, according to 1 John 3:9, does not sin. When he goes against his new nature, it isn’t the law that is responsible, but the sin that still resides in his frail human body. A Christian will naturally pursue the moral excellence of God’s law. The more mature a Christian is—the more he loves the Lord, submits to the Spirit’s direction in his life, and grows in his understanding of God’s holiness—the greater will be his longing to fulfill the law.

Paul’s reasoning in verse 17 is reminiscent of Galatians 2:20: “I [the old nature] have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” After salvation, sin no longer resides in man’s innermost self, which is re-created to be like Christ. Yet it finds its residual dwelling in our flesh. That’s why Paul said nothing good dwelt in his flesh (v. 18).

There’s a big difference between that surviving sin and reigning sin: Sin no longer reigns in us, but it does survive in us.

We are like an artistically unskilled person who has a beautiful picture in clear view, but no ability to actually paint it. What we need to do is ask the Master Artist to put His hand on ours to help us paint the strokes we never could have painted independently of Him. We can experience victory over sin only when we yield ourselves to the One who can overcome the flesh.

Galatians 5:17 says, “The flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.”

Romans 7 echoes that battle. Galatians 5:16 tells us how to win: “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.” The Holy Spirit gives us victory. But let me warn you that the more victory you experience as you mature in Christ, the more you will recognize sin in your life.

In verses 18–19 Paul isn’t saying he can’t figure out how to do anything right. He’s saying he can’t obey to the extent his heart longs to. If you examine your spiritual growth, you should be able to recognize a greater hatred for your sin now than you did before you understood how serious sin is and how holy God is. Although spiritual growth results in a decreasing frequency of sin, it inversely involves a heightened sensitivity to it.

In verse 23 Paul identifies the source of his problems as the sin that resides in human nature. Sometimes the battle went in favor of his unredeemed flesh and brought him into captivity. When sin wins the victory in the spiritual struggle, the believer becomes a slave to the sin that, at least temporarily, masters him.

Why do we sin?
Because God didn’t do a good enough job when He saved us? Because He gave us a new nature that isn’t complete yet? Because we’re not prepared for heaven yet and still need to earn our way in? No, it’s because sin is still present in our humanness, which includes the mind, emotions, and body.

In 2 Corinthians 10:3–4 Paul says, “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.” Although we still have physical bodies, we are engaged in spiritual warfare using spiritual resources.

Solution
Romans 8—Paul was assured of ultimate triumph through Jesus Christ over the conflict with sin

We Christians await the final phase of salvation. We’re still looking to that day when we are redeemed in body as well as soul. So Paul thanks God in Romans 7:25 that the end of the conflict will come through Christ when we enter into His presence and are glorified.

1 Corinthians 15—“For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality....Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (vv. 53, 57). That is almost the same phrase Paul uses in Romans 7:25 in reference to our bodily resurrection and glorification.

2 Corinthians 5—“While we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life” (v. 4).

Philippians 3—“We eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory” (vv. 20–21). Ours is a triumphant hope!

The battle won’t be over until Jesus gives us immortality. Full deliverance awaits glorification. But we can experience victory here and now in the power of the Holy Spirit.

8/27/2017 3:16 pm  #33

Week of August 28
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Post your input below this post.
S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

I have broken the reading down by day based on key points in the scripture.
You can read it in one day, several days, or follow the reading plan.

Stop by the forum at least once this week and post your input, what verse stood out to you, or your discussion question response.

This video provides an overview of the remaining chapters in Romans. 

Reading Schedule
Sanctification: Demonstration of God’s Righteousness
Monday: 8:1-8
Tuesday: 8:9-11
Wednesday: 8:12-17
Thursday: 8:18-25
Friday: 8:26-30

Verse of the Week
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Discussion Question
God is always at work in our lives bringing about his purpose and good. How does knowing that His plans are good for those who love Him bring you peace and comfort today?

9/01/2017 5:27 am  #34

I LOVE this chapter (8) I can just feel God's power in me when I read this. It is a place to go to when things seem to be not going well, when I feel hopeless or exhausted by this world. These words bring me something beyond comfort- there is no word for it. Look at this God! He is amazing! He is big! He is powerful! He is going to work it all out, no matter what happens this day; how I might fail, how someone might treat me or what tragedy may occur. He has got this- and it's all going to be so very, very good.

9/05/2017 9:49 am  #35

Week of September 4

I have broken the reading down by day based on key points in the scripture.
You can read it in one day, several days, or follow the reading plan.

Stop by the forum at least once this week and post your input, what verse stood out to you, or your discussion question response.

Reading Schedule
Sanctification: Demonstration of God’s Righteousness
Monday: 8:31-39
Israel’s Reception of God’s Righteousness
Tuesday: 9:1-18
Wednesday: 9:19-33
Thursday: 10:1-13
Friday: 10:14-21

Verses of the Week
As indeed he says in Hosea, "Those who were not my people I will call 'my people,' and her who was not beloved I will call 'beloved.'" (Romans 9:25)

because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  (Romans 10:9)

Discussion Questions
It is the grace of God that allows us to be called His people and His beloved. What have you learned about God’s grace so far in our study of the book of Romans? Take a moment to write a prayer of thanks to God for His abundant grace. (Chapter 9)

Who was the first person to introduce you to Jesus? Who was the first person that you introduced to Jesus? (Chapter 10)

Complete Reading Plan

9/05/2017 7:31 pm  #36

Romans 8

8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.

The Holy Spirit gives us a law of life; a law that has set us free in Christ.

I am free only as I am hidden in Christ and animated by Christ in the same way I animate my hand.

8:15  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!"

God has adopted us as sons and has taken us into His house. Why do we go back out and live in the servants quarters?

8:17  and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

To receive our inheritance, we must be willing to suffer discomfort and disappointment.

8:18  For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

For I reckon - means to tabulate, account

We have added up things and tabulated that our sufferings don't measure up to the side of the ledger with our future glory.

Discussion Question
God is always at work in our lives bringing about His purpose and good. How does knowing that His plans are good for those who love Him bring you peace and comfort today?

I felt like verse 19 ( For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.) and   verse 22 (For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.)

I felt like I was straining with the pains of childbirth and that God was wanting to birth something new in me to get me to a new place in refining me and moving me to the next level of imitating Christ. It has been long and frustrating and internally challenging.

He has really shown me this year how He has been working to birth something in my heart. This study has especially just put a lot of things together. This gives me hope and trust in another area of concern that I can trust that God can and will work according to His will and it allows me to rest in patience and peace, to be prayerful, and to pursue unity, love and humility.

9/05/2017 7:37 pm  #37

esuzannah wrote:

I LOVE this chapter (8) I can just feel God's power in me when I read this. It is a place to go to when things seem to be not going well, when I feel hopeless or exhausted by this world. These words bring me something beyond comfort- there is no word for it. Look at this God! He is amazing! He is big! He is powerful! He is going to work it all out, no matter what happens this day; how I might fail, how someone might treat me or what tragedy may occur. He has got this- and it's all going to be so very, very good.

It is hopeful and empowering. He has predestined us to be conformed to His image and to be glorified (vs 29-30), the Spirit helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words (26), and He gives us life and peace as we set our minds on Him (vs 6).

Good stuff!  

9/10/2017 9:06 pm  #38

Romans 9

9:2-3 that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

9:23 
in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory

Paul had "great sorrow" and "unceasing anguish." He wished he himself could be accursed and cut off from Christ instead of others. Wow. 

Not sure I could wish myself cut off from Christ - such hopelessness, emptiness, helplessness and despair. I would not want to live if not for Christ's love, acceptance and sanctification.

But is that not how the lost must feel? They are cut off and need the truth. Even if they don't feel that way, the truth is that they lack true hope.

Yet, God has made me a vessel of His mercy. God's mercy overflows my life. I hold, contain and am filled with the mercy and love of the infinite and eternal I am. God pours His unfailing, unending, overflowing love into me!!

In light of that, how can i not bring a cup of refreshing mercy to others to drink from? How can I not offer them the living water God has given to me as a free gift.

I need to pray for opportunities, be available to be used, I need to be involved and to develop meaningful relationship with those outside of Christ, I need to ask questions to understand them, I need to listen to them share their beliefs and thoughts, I need to love them with the supernatural love of Christ that loves even when things are difficult, messy, and painful.

9/10/2017 9:10 pm  #39

Romans 10
10:2-4 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

This is religion: zeal for God, but not according to knowledge, establishing our own righteousness and not knowing the righteousness of God.

But believers can slip into this also. We need knowledge with our zeal. We need to really understand and grasps God's righteousness and not be tempted to lean into our own righteousness from works of the law.

Last edited by TBG (9/10/2017 9:11 pm)

9/10/2017 9:22 pm  #40

Week of September 10

Reading Schedule
Israel’s Reception of God’s Righteousness
Monday: 11:1-24
Tuesday: 11:25-27
Wednesday: 11:28-36
Application: The Behavior of God’s Righteousness
Thursday: 12:1-2
Friday: 12:3-8

Verses of the Week
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! (Romans 11:33)

If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. (Romans 12:18)

Discussion Questions
Sometimes it is hard to understand God’s ways. God’s ways are so much higher than man’s. How does knowing God’s depth of riches, wisdom, and knowledge comfort you as you seek to follow Him and His word? (Chapter 11)

One of the marks of a believer is peace. What are some ways that you show Christian love and peace to those who are being difficult in your life today? (Chapter 12)

Complete Reading Plan

Last edited by TBG (9/10/2017 9:31 pm)

Board footera