Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2014 8:15 pm  #31

Re: Genesis

NLWnMD wrote:

Noah is simply amazing. When he came out of the ark, he could have did anything he wanted to do. However, the first thing he did was built an alter to the Lord. Isn't that just amazing. I need to ensure that I am not being selfish with my time. I need to look at my daily schedule and ensure I am allowing for my God time, which needs to be quality time as well  (quiet time getting to now him better). I must take the time to praise and magnify his name on a daily basis expressing my thankfulness for all that he has done or will do for me.

I did not think about it from the angle that that was the first thing Noah did.  It shows you how he was really focused on the fact that God really had sustained him and blessed him.  He was so focused on God's goodness not woo-hoo now I can run around and have fun and have some BBQ.  You know.  He was not focused on his pleasure at the time, but God's goodness.

10/06/2014 8:52 pm  #32

Chapter 9

Scripture
I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.
Verse 13

Application
Whenever we see a rainbow, it is a reminder that God has established the cycles of the earth; that they continue by His hands and will until the end of times.

Other thoughts
I wonder why it was shameful to see their Dad’s nakedness?  This was not an issue of lust or elicit sexuality, he was not being publicly immodest. 

Ok, so read some commentary notes.  Still no clear answers, but some insight.  Perhaps it was not so much about being naked, but more about how shameful his drunkenness was that would leave him in that state. Also there is some conjecture that Ham was mocking his father in some way not simply noticing he was naked. But in telling his brothers he was showing derision and mocking his father.

This reminds us of the scripture that “Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.” Proverbs 20:

10/08/2014 7:13 am  #33

Chapter 10: really did not get much spiritual application from it, but it was good to lay a historical groundwork for who the future people groups are that we will see later.

Chapter 11

Scripture
And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Observation
God had told them to scatter and spread out and they are specifically defying His instructions
They were seeking to make a name for themselves, for recognition, to “be somebody”

Application
It is like they wanted to elevate themselves and revel in their own abilities to show their greatness, even if it was not what God wanted them to do and in fact actually opposed to what God wanted them to do.

We are frequently too busy working to elevate ourselves to do God’s work. This hits home especially again when it comes to the workplace. We can be so busy trying to protect our reputation, etc., that we can allow bad attitudes to come up. But we are God’s ambassadors. We need to be more concerned with being a witness with our good attitudes, than defending ourselves and elevating ourselves. Can you imagine if an ambassador for the government was spending his time pushing his own personal agenda and the not the agenda of his government? That would be crazy and he would be immediately fired. We can’t be pushing our agenda, I am God’s ambassador; it is His diplomacy I should be concerned with and not my own.

There seems to be a lot of themes dealing with pride in the first few chapters of Genesis; people repeatedly try to elevate themselves. It is like this is really the “original” sin and/or the root cause (or origin/genesis) of all sins.

10/09/2014 2:35 am  #34

Genesis 9

"When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” (‭Genesis‬ ‭9‬:‭16‬ NLT)

I love this!! Now, I'll always be reminded of Gods love and covenant with us every time I see a rainbow. I love how the bible always reveals something new to me.

10/09/2014 2:40 am  #35

So on point! Pride comes before the fall.

God, as we read your word with many references to pride and how it causes you and us so much suffering and sorrow,  help us to be aware of it and remove it from our countenance Lord.

TBG wrote:

Chapter 10: really did not get much spiritual application from it, but it was good to lay a historical groundwork for who the future people groups are that we will see later.

Chapter 11

Scripture
And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Observation
God had told them to scatter and spread out and they are specifically defying His instructions
They were seeking to make a name for themselves, for recognition, to “be somebody”

Application
It is like they wanted to elevate themselves and revel in their own abilities to show their greatness, even if it was not what God wanted them to do and in fact actually opposed to what God wanted them to do.

We are frequently too busy working to elevate ourselves to do God’s work. This hits home especially again when it comes to the workplace. We can be so busy trying to protect our reputation, etc., that we can allow bad attitudes to come up. But we are God’s ambassadors. We need to be more concerned with being a witness with our good attitudes, than defending ourselves and elevating ourselves. Can you imagine if an ambassador for the government was spending his time pushing his own personal agenda and the not the agenda of his government? That would be crazy and he would be immediately fired. We can’t be pushing our agenda, I am God’s ambassador; it is His diplomacy I should be concerned with and not my own.

There seems to be a lot of themes dealing with pride in the first few chapters of Genesis; people repeatedly try to elevate themselves. It is like this is really the “original” sin and/or the root cause (or origin/genesis) of all sins.

10/09/2014 7:50 am  #36

Excellent Wednesday post from Courtney at GMG.  Definitely take a moment to read it and challenge yourself: Making A Name For Myself

"Pride makes us long to be known for something, something we've done so that we can be recognized."

"Let’s be women who are known – not for exalting ourselves but for exalting the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Let’s be builders of His kingdom."

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. ~Psalm 127:1

10/10/2014 7:52 am  #37

Chapter 12

Observation
Abraham was frightened and instead of waiting and asking God for protection, he acted out of fear.  If he had stopped long enough to pray and focus on God, perhaps he would have reflected on the fact that God could not fulfill His promise to him if he died.  This may have helped him to trust God more fully in knowing that God would make a way because he is trustworthy.

Application
It is very easy for us to act out of fear and not stop long enough to pray and seek God’s protection and provision but just to impulsively do something that later we realize was a poor choice.  Sometimes, it is like we ultimately don’t trust God to protect us or to fulfill His purpose.  Or we act out of our strength before we first seek God’s leading and direction.

Prayer
Lord help me to trust You and to always go to You first in the humility of my heart. Help me to turn to You with my challenges and seek Your wisdom so that I can act in ways that are honoring and right in Your eyes.  Help me to keep my focus on You as my source.

10/10/2014 8:23 am  #38

Genesis 13

Scripture
And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere like the garden of the Lord. Like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar.  Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. (vs. 10-11)

Observation
It appears that Lot saw that the plains were better and so chose them for himself.

Application
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

Scripture  
Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Marmre, which are in Hebron, and built an altar there to the Lord.

Observation  
Abram had not seen God’s promise come to fulfillment and it did not even look likely, since he and his wife were old and childless, yet he trusted God’s promise so much, that when God made him this promise he responded with worship and sacrifice, to give God honor.

Application 
How often do we give God honor and worship Him even if we have not seen things fulfilled in our lives yet?  Do we offer God acceptable sacrifice out of a place of trust believing that He will see us through our challenges in life and believing that regardless of how difficult our lives may be, that He truly has given us every spiritual blessing in heavenly places?  (Eph 1:3)

Ephesians 1:3-11
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.

Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.  God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.

So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son. He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.

God has now revealed to us his mysterious plan regarding Christ, a plan to fulfill his own good pleasure. And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

Wow, regardless of what happens in this world, I know that God has given me every spiritual blessing, but that these are spiritual blessing are not necessarily of this world but are in heavenly places.

God has: loved, chose, made holy, sees us without fault, adopted, brought us to himself, given us grace, kindness, purchased our freedom, forgave, showered us with kindness, wisdom, understanding, revealed His truth to us, united us, given us an inheritance.

What more do we want?

I love this interpretation of verses 11from The Message
It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for.

10/10/2014 7:18 pm  #39

Genesis 13

Verses:
10 Lot looked around and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan toward Zoar was well watered, like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt. (This was before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) 11 So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company: 12 Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom.
14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Look around from where you are, to the north and south, to the east and west. 15 All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring[a] forever. 16 I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted. 17 Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.”

18 So Abram went to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron, where he pitched his tents. There he built an altar to the Lord.

Application: Lot chose the best land for himself; however, the Lord told Abram to look around. He was telling Abram to appreciate what he has and not concentrate on what he does not have or what Lot has. In life, there has been and will continue to be many situation were I will not get the best or what the world/they (never figured out who they is)  considered the best. But, instead of spending my energy on what I don't have, I need to focus on and appreciate what I do have.

10/10/2014 7:20 pm  #40

TBG wrote:

Excellent Wednesday post from Courtney at GMG.  Definitely take a moment to read it and challenge yourself: Making A Name For Myself

"Pride makes us long to be known for something, something we've done so that we can be recognized."

"Let’s be women who are known – not for exalting ourselves but for exalting the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Let’s be builders of His kingdom."

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. ~Psalm 127:1

Yes, I enjoyed the post and look forward to them each week.

Board footera