Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2014 8:48 am  #1

Genesis Part 2

Genesis 15
“Do not be afraid, Abram.  I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.” vs 1

But Abram said, “Lord God, what will You give me, seeing I go childless and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?’  Then Abram said, “Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!”  vs 2-3

And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir.”  Then He brought him outside and said, “look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.”  And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” vs 4-5

And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness. vs 6

Observation and Application
vs 1 – God is comforting and encouraging Abram: “don’t be afraid, I am your shield, exceedingly great reward.  God also continually does this for us as well in His word and through prayer; He assures, comforts and encourages.

vs 2-3 – Abram can’t understand how God will work it out

vs 4-5 – God promises to bless Abram.  Why?  Because it is God’s pleasure to use Abram to bless the world.  It is also God’s pleasure to use us to bless the world by doing His work, not to bless ourselves, but bless the world, bless others.  You see, Abram did not receive the promise of his offspring redeeming the world, but we did.  So God blessed the world through Abram even though Abram never received the blessing himself in his life.

vs 6 – Sometimes it is hard to really believe and belief that is evident based on our actions, acting in a way that shows we believe, not just giving mental assent but living in a way that evidences belief.  Do we really believe God’s truths or do we spend our day pursuing our own truths and desires?

10/14/2014 8:03 am  #2

Re: Genesis Part 2

Genesis 16

Wait On and Trust in God

Verse 2: Sarai encourages Abram to take Hagar as a wife to have a child and Abram goes along with her plan

Application:
Sometimes we don’t see God fixing a situation so we take matters into our own hands. Or we don’t understand how God could possibly do something so we act in our own strength according to our own understanding and don’t wait for and trust in God.

Also, we listen to other people instead of listening to God.  It is so easy to be influenced by others, why don’t you just…. 

It is so easy to take things into our own hands when we don’t see God working.  Do we really believe God knows what is ultimately best, and will do what is ultimately best for us in the scheme of eternity? Do we act and live as if we will be better off by obeying God, or do we decide that we want what we want?

Proverbs 3:5-7
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.  Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Another Theme of Pride, Comparison, and Finding our Value

Verse 4-6: Hagar starts despising Sarai and Sarai responds by dealing harshly with her

Application:
I see an example of how we tend to take pride in our abilities.  We think that makes us better than others.  We are always comparing ourselves to others and gauging our value against everyone else.

Sarai reacts by engaging in a power struggle to reassert her authority.  It is perfectly fine to stop a subordinate from engaging in wrong behavior and displaying a poor attitude.  But, with the harshness stated here, it seems that Sarai did it with an attitude of superiority.  With an attitude that she will “win” the power struggle and show Hagar her place. 

This is a wrong attitude and it is easy to slip into this when we get into these types of conflict.  I will show the other person their place and I will win.  That type of attitude is not a struggle for proper authority, respect or leadership, but is often a struggle for power and superiority, which is wrong.

10/14/2014 8:32 am  #3

Chapter 17

God Has Called Us
Verse 1: Walk before me and be blameless

The notes in my Bible indicate that to walk blameless is to walk before God in complete and unqualified surrender.

God called Abram and likewise, he has called us to be His people and to walk in surrender and fidelity to Him. (1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;)

Abram again asked God to use Ishmael – Abram can’t see how God could possibly resolve the situation.  Even though he did not understand, or get that God could do this in his mind, he still was unhesitant in his obedience in immediately circumcising all the males. 

We likewise need to obey God even when we don’t understand what is happening in a situation or what He plans to do with our lives- just obey and walk blameless before Him and be about His work.

God Character

We also see God’s character and nature again here.  Although Abram, Sarai and Hagar had made a mess of things, God was merciful (have compassion on, not giving us the punishment we deserve) and gracious (to stoop in kindness, to give favor that we have not earned).

God responded to the wrong done by showing mercy and grace.. This is God’s character and nature.  We frequently live like we don’t really believe that and we allow sin to drive us away from God instead of it calling us back to the cross, back to God and back to repentance and reconciliation.

10/15/2014 10:50 pm  #4

Chapter 18

Verse 19 For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.

Command our Children
God wants us to know Him intimately so that our children will see God at work in our lives and see our intimate and dynamic relationship and so that our children’s children will hear of God’s faithfulness in the lives of their ancestors and they also will keep the way of the Lord and do righteousness and justice.

I see the importance of really selling out to God, turning off the TV, shutting down the computer, being a woman of the Word, being a woman who meditates and memorizes and thinks on the Word, being a woman of service to others, living justly, walking humbly, and being patient, kind, and wise. A woman who is showing grace and mercy to others including my husband, children, extended family, and even strangers.  Being a woman who makes God an intimate, ever present, dynamic part of my daily walk.

Our children and our descendants hang in the balance.
[Disclaimer: I am not implying that this is a guarantee that all our kids will be faithful believers if we just live right.  Each person has the autonomy to make a choice for or against Christ but clearly we can be a powerful testimony to them and perhaps those that will come to Christ will come at a young age instead of after living in the world and making many mistakes.]

I am also reminded of two verses
Deuteronomy 11:19-20
 You shall teach them [these words of mine] to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,

Deuteronomy 6:7-9
You shall teach them [these words that I command you] diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

So we need to integrate the Word naturally and continually and have a spiritual focus in our daily lives, discussions, etc.

This is something for me to think about as we look to bring in foster kids next year.  Maybe this is good timing or should I say God’s timing with GMG because this whole blogging through the Bible thing has gotten me to spend much more consistent and in-depth time in the Word.  Good prep as God prepare me and matures me for the unknown of foster parenting.

Fulfill His Purpose
That verse also says that God may bring to Abraham what He [God] has spoken.

This is a parallel to how God calls us as a people so that He may fulfill His purpose through us.

God’s Character

I the notes of my Bible the following point was made regarding God bargaining with Abraham about sparing Sodom.

This shows God’s patience and compassion in refraining from exercising justified punishment.

Wow, did not catch that on my own.  God truly shows His patience and compassion to each of us by not giving us the punishment we justly deserve.  A classmate of mine at church said “If God have us what we deserve, we would be hanging on a cross.”  Yes, God has truly shown mercy to us.

10/16/2014 6:58 am  #5

Chapter 19
Lot had to be dragged out even after he saw the full force of the wickedness.  It is easy to judge, but it is hard to leave what you have known, what you have built and poured yourself into, and what you know as home. 

It is so important to hold things with open hands and to not pour too much of our heart, commitment, and affection into things of this world, but to pour our heart and expectations, and seek comfort from things of the next world. (Col 3)

And yes, I know that is hard because these things seem so real to us and are so very immediately tangible and comforting and sometime spiritual things don’t always seem to or feel like they provide tangible comfort.  But, none the less this is what we need to be striving for.

Where did Lot’s daughters get that idea? I suppose they may have been contaminated by the culture of Sodom. We allow our children to be so steeped in the sinful behaviors of this culture that more and more perverted behavior seems like not a big deal to them.

We also see these daughters so longing for a legitimate desire, to have connection and closeness, that they turn to a sinful way to fulfill that longing. It is hard when our desires or needs are legitimate to not take things in our own hands and turn to sinful ways to satisfy normal and natural desires.

10/16/2014 2:33 pm  #6

Genesis 17

17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child.

I thought Abram was being doubtful of the Lord's promise

23And Abraham tooke Ishmael his son, and all that were borne in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male, among the men of Abrahams house, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskinne, in the same day, as God had said onto him.

Abram did not hesitate when he was directed by the Lord to circumcise every male 8 days and older including himself.  He showed that he was not doubtful after all. He did not wait and pray about it or think about it further, he acted the same day.

Have a blessed day

Last edited by NLWnMD (10/16/2014 2:33 pm)

10/16/2014 3:21 pm  #7

Genesis 19

OK. A lot going on in this chapter. I guess that's why God was destroying the city.

5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”

So, your guest had to be protected more than your children. Wow!

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i] of today.

Why was sleeping with their father the only option? Why couldn't they trust God.

I do not like destruction but it appears there was reason to destroy both cities. Look at the decisions that were made by Lot and his daughters.  I guess the impact of living in Sodom clouded all of their judgement and they just made rash decisions.

Lord, give me the patience to come to you and wait for guidance.

10/16/2014 3:23 pm  #8

TBG wrote:

Chapter 19
Lot had to be dragged out even after he saw the full force of the wickedness.  It is easy to judge, but it is hard to leave what you have known, what you have built and poured yourself into, and what you know as home. 

It is so important to hold things with open hands and to not pour too much of our heart, commitment, and affection into things of this world, but to pour our heart and expectations, and seek comfort from things of the next world. (Col 3)

And yes, I know that is hard because these things seem so real to us and are so very immediately tangible and comforting and sometime spiritual things don’t always seem to or feel like they provide tangible comfort.  But, none the less this is what we need to be striving for.

Where did Lot’s daughters get that idea? I suppose they may have been contaminated by the culture of Sodom. We allow our children to be so steeped in the sinful behaviors of this culture that more and more perverted behavior seems like not a big deal to them.

We also see these daughters so longing for a legitimate desire, to have connection and closeness, that they turn to a sinful way to fulfill that longing. It is hard when our desires or needs are legitimate to not take things in our own hands and turn to sinful ways to satisfy normal and natural desires.

I agree, the daughters were contaminated the the culture of Sodom. For they knew not what they were doing...

10/16/2014 3:26 pm  #9

TBG wrote:

Chapter 18

Verse 19 For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.

Command our Children
God wants us to know Him intimately so that our children will see God at work in our lives and see our intimate and dynamic relationship and so that our children’s children will hear of God’s faithfulness in the lives of their ancestors and they also will keep the way of the Lord and do righteousness and justice.

I see the importance of really selling out to God, turning off the TV, shutting down the computer, being a woman of the Word, being a woman who meditates and memorizes and thinks on the Word, being a woman of service to others, living justly, walking humbly, and being patient, kind, and wise. A woman who is showing grace and mercy to others including my husband, children, extended family, and even strangers.  Being a woman who makes God an intimate, ever present, dynamic part of my daily walk.

Our children and our descendants hang in the balance.
[Disclaimer: I am not implying that this is a guarantee that all our kids will be faithful believers if we just live right.  Each person has the autonomy to make a choice for or against Christ but clearly we can be a powerful testimony to them and perhaps those that will come to Christ will come at a young age instead of after living in the world and making many mistakes.]

I am also reminded of two verses
Deuteronomy 11:19-20
 You shall teach them [these words of mine] to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,

Deuteronomy 6:7-9
You shall teach them [these words that I command you] diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

So we need to integrate the Word naturally and continually and have a spiritual focus in our daily lives, discussions, etc.

This is something for me to think about as we look to bring in foster kids next year.  Maybe this is good timing or should I say God’s timing with GMG because this whole blogging through the Bible thing has gotten me to spend much more consistent and in-depth time in the Word.  Good prep as God prepare me and matures me for the unknown of foster parenting.

Fulfill His Purpose
That verse also says that God may bring to Abraham what He [God] has spoken.

This is a parallel to how God calls us as a people so that He may fulfill His purpose through us.

God’s Character

I the notes of my Bible the following point was made regarding God bargaining with Abraham about sparing Sodom.

This shows God’s patience and compassion in refraining from exercising justified punishment.

Wow, did not catch that on my own.  God truly shows His patience and compassion to each of us by not giving us the punishment we justly deserve.  A classmate of mine at church said “If God have us what we deserve, we would be hanging on a cross.”  Yes, God has truly shown mercy to us.

Agree, God wants us to know him for ourself. We can attend all the services and read alll the books by others but we must read the word for ourself and develop that intimate relationship. You must know him for yourself!

10/17/2014 1:16 am  #10

Chapters 15-17

I won't get into how crazy it is that Sarai suggest for Abram to sleep with Hagar because she can't have kids. I mean that is utterly absurd.  I do like what TBG highlights How we take matters into our own hands instead of waiting on God. So poignant and true.

Anywho,my takeaway is how God honors our faith and love and obedience and gives us grace at the same time.. And just as he gave abram and Sarai new names, he does that for us at different times in our lives. I see the changing of their names and blessings as a new And fresh start given directly from God.

Board footera