Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2015 12:36 am  #1

New Year's Resolutions

Theresnoplacelike Home mentioned her New Year's Resolution and was interested in hearing from others, and so am I, so I decided to start a dedicated place in which we can share and discuss our goals for 2015.  Perhaps we can all encourage each other on our journeys?

For the first time, I've chosen a word to be my main focus this year, and that word is "Grace."  It's not just about giving others grace but about giving more grace to myself, as well.  Every year, I have all these really specific and intense plans and goals.  I have a bad habit of overestimating what I can accomplish, and my perfectionist type A personality causes me to get down on myself and give up very quickly at the first sign of failure.  Instead of moving past my shortcomings and starting over the next day, I tend to give up altogether for fear of failure.  

In 2014, a lot of the Bible studying I did focused on the grace God shows to us, and I believe that if God can show me so much grace for all my sins, I should be able to show myself grace for things that are way less important.  Furthermore, I'm pretty good about showing grace to others, but when it comes to myself, I set an almost unattainable standard.  So, this year is all about grace for me.

I have a few small goals, as well, like taking more photos, making a monthly Project Life layout, and reading more books. I'm also sewing reusable menstrual pads to be included in Operation Christmas Child boxes for girls ages 9-13.  I'm trying to make as many as I can throughout the year before we pack the boxes in November. Overall, I'm more of a monthly goal maker, but those are a few that will last for the entire year.

So, what are your goals and resolutions for 2015?

1/07/2015 4:30 am  #2

Re: New Year's Resolutions

I am not one for New Year's Resolutions, but after reading the other ladies all I could think for myself was Pr 3 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. And in all thine ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

1/07/2015 9:21 pm  #3

What a great idea.  I also have not set a specific resolution, but I have determined that I really need to not try, but just make a decision to hold my tongue more and let more things so.  Period. It is just time to get my act together in this area.  I am too hold to still have this issue.

Also, I loved what Loretta said about grace for ourselves.  That had been such a hard lesson for me.  But, I really had to face the fact that my self worth was not dependent upon how perfect I did things or my efforts.  Nor did I need to feel less than as if I let God down if I missed the mark in some spiritual area.  I don't have to earn God's love and grace.  Because that really is the point: coming face to face with the fact that I am a sinner and I will miss the mark which is why I need Christ.  If I was going to always get it right on my own, I would not need Christ in the first place.

1/08/2015 12:14 am  #4

Loretta wrote:

I am not one for New Year's Resolutions, but after reading the other ladies all I could think for myself was Pr 3 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. And in all thine ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

I love this verse. It helps me to know that God is with me wherever I go and is guiding my way. I often think about the possible missed car accidents or any accidents that God may have protected me from by guiding my path another way. And so, I  recently have been trying to trust my intuition more, and  I am learning to be more opon to what God would have me do, or say--and not say--(sometimes I have the habit of talking to much) .

Thanks for sharing,
Theresnoplacelike Home

1/08/2015 12:29 am  #5

Amanda wrote:

Theresnoplacelike Home mentioned her New Year's Resolution and was interested in hearing from others, and so am I, so I decided to start a dedicated place in which we can share and discuss our goals for 2015.  Perhaps we can all encourage each other on our journeys?

For the first time, I've chosen a word to be my main focus this year, and that word is "Grace."  It's not just about giving others grace but about giving more grace to myself, as well.  Every year, I have all these really specific and intense plans and goals.  I have a bad habit of overestimating what I can accomplish, and my perfectionist type A personality causes me to get down on myself and give up very quickly at the first sign of failure.  Instead of moving past my shortcomings and starting over the next day, I tend to give up altogether for fear of failure.  

In 2014, a lot of the Bible studying I did focused on the grace God shows to us, and I believe that if God can show me so much grace for all my sins, I should be able to show myself grace for things that are way less important.  Furthermore, I'm pretty good about showing grace to others, but when it comes to myself, I set an almost unattainable standard.  So, this year is all about grace for me.

I have a few small goals, as well, like taking more photos, making a monthly Project Life layout, and reading more books. I'm also sewing reusable menstrual pads to be included in Operation Christmas Child boxes for girls ages 9-13.  I'm trying to make as many as I can throughout the year before we pack the boxes in November. Overall, I'm more of a monthly goal maker, but those are a few that will last for the entire year.

So, what are your goals and resolutions for 2015?

Amanda, what a wonderful word to chose:Grace!  Like you I struggle with having a type A personality. I am very hard on myself, and I am also very goal oriented as you mentioned. I love that you are treating yourself the way you know God wants you to treat others. Just as we need to give grace to others we need to receive it ourselves which is so much harder to do for some reason. I didn't pick a word for the year or anything just thought those four agreements would be a lot to tackle. But as I am typing the word that comes to mind for me is "Balance." I am a recovering workaholic . I have missed so much of life because I have made myself be stuck behind a desk wanting everything  to be perfect. Thank goodness I realized that its impossible, so I have been trying hard this past year to become a better homemaker, wife, sister, and friend.  That's why I identify with the phrase "There is no place like home" to remind myself that that is where my heart should lie. Not behind a desk at work.

What is a monthly Project Life Layout? And that is awesome that you are helping those girls through Operation Christmas child!

Blessings,
Theresnoplacelike Home

1/09/2015 12:43 am  #6

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Amanda, what a wonderful word to chose:Grace!  Like you I struggle with having a type A personality. I am very hard on myself, and I am also very goal oriented as you mentioned. I love that you are treating yourself the way you know God wants you to treat others. Just as we need to give grace to others we need to receive it ourselves which is so much harder to do for some reason. I didn't pick a word for the year or anything just thought those four agreements would be a lot to tackle. But as I am typing the word that comes to mind for me is "Balance." I am a recovering workaholic . I have missed so much of life because I have made myself be stuck behind a desk wanting everything  to be perfect. Thank goodness I realized that its impossible, so I have been trying hard this past year to become a better homemaker, wife, sister, and friend.  That's why I identify with the phrase "There is no place like home" to remind myself that that is where my heart should lie. Not behind a desk at work.

What is a monthly Project Life Layout? And that is awesome that you are helping those girls through Operation Christmas child!

Blessings,
Theresnoplacelike Home

First, I just want to say that it's funny that you say "Balance" because that was actually my second choice!  I tend to get really involved in one project or area and neglect the others, so balance is definitely something I need to work on, as well.  Since I am giving myself grace this year, I'm forgiving myself for not keeping things in balance and just trying again the next day.

Project Life is a simplified version of scrapbooking in which you use plastic inserts with lots of different sized pockets for photos and embellishments.  I used to do really complex scrapbooks but they take a lot of time, so I just got burnt out and bogged down.  I'm hoping Project Life will be a fun and simple way to record my photos and memories from the month.  Here's a blog with some really good examples if you are interested: http://aliedwards.com/blog?tag=Project+Life%C2%AE+%7C+Ali

1/10/2015 8:52 pm  #7

Thanks for the website. I checked it out. And I was amazed by what was there. Thanks!

Board footera