Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2015 11:00 am  #11

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 6-10 by TBG

Chapter 8

Observations
In the Egyptian culture at this time frogs symbolized fertility and fertile land.  They were venerated and could not be killed. God used what they saw as a blessing from their gods and turned it into a curse showing that He was greater than their gods and He controlled their gods.

The magicians could not create life with the gnats.  They conceded that this was God.  But, Pharaoh had already decided that he was above God in authority.  You can also see this in how he thinks he can “trick” God by agreeing to release them and then changing his mind.

With the flees we see that Pharaoh is still trying to negotiate with God as if he is an equal and not submit to God’s authority.

Pharaoh agreed to do what God wanted, but with his own stipulations and the way he wanted to accomplish it, not the way God wanted to accomplish it.  He wanted to claim to obey God while still keeping everything under his own authority.

Application
Man also tries to approach God as an equal and negotiate what we do and do not want to submit to and try to create God to meet our desires and to in fact keep God under our own authority.  Man thinks he is equal with God and that God must justify Himself and meet our standards of right and wrong and meet our expectations instead of bowing our knee in complete submission to Him and ruler over us.  Sometimes even as believers, we will obey God to a point, but ultimately keep our lives under our own authority.  We think we are equal with God.

1/20/2015 11:01 am  #12

Chapter 9

S: Exodus 9:14,16-17 for at this time I will send all My plagues to your very heart, and on your servants and on your people, that you may know that there is none like Me in all the earth.  But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth. As yet you exalt yourself against My people in that you will not let them go.

A: God shows plenty of evidence to mankind so that he will acknowledge God as Lord.  Yet, although man knows the truth about God’s power and authority, he refuses to honor Him and instead serves the creation instead of the creator.  Romans 1:18-23

S:  Exodus 9:30, 34 But as for you and your servants, I know that you will not yet fear the Lord God.  And when Pharaoh saw that the rain, the hail, and the thunder had ceased, he sinned yet more; and he hardened his heart, he and his servants.

A: Often people want to be saved from the penalty of sin, but still embrace the presence of sin in their lives and do not bow to the authority of God.  Sometimes we want to embrace and engage in sin and then get angry when there are painful consequences.  We want the sin, but not the consequences.

1/20/2015 11:01 am  #13

Chapter 10
S: Exodus 10: 8 So Moses and Aaron were brought again to Pharaoh, and he said to them, "Go, serve the Lord your God. Who are the ones that are going?"

O: Pharaoh still wants to control how things will go and push his agenda.

A: People often do not come to the Lord or surrender authority to the Lord and submit to His will because they want to be in control of their own lives.

Board footera