Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2015 2:37 am  #11

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 11-15

Exodus 13

13:17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near. For God said, "Lest the people change their minds when they see war and return to Egypt."

It is interesting how God did not let them see everything at the beginning because they would lose heart.  It is like they needed that time in the wilderness to be ready to fight the battles.

I think maybe that is how it is for us in life as well.  Perhaps God does not let us fully see how things are going to play out because we would lose heart and lose faith in the final outcome.  Sometimes we need time in the wilderness to be ready to fight the battles.

13:21-22 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people.

Israel had a visible manifestation of God's leadership but we have God living inside of us.  While this is much more powerful to have God living inside of us and controlling our nature, it would be comforting to see His visible manifestation.  Because although we know the spiritual things are what is real, it is still easier for us in this world to believe the physical things we see with our eyes.

1/22/2015 2:42 am  #12

Loretta wrote:

There are times when I think I can't do this homeschooling thing. But I look back on six years, made it. I know this is not me it can only be Him.

Praise God.  Yes, it is hard for us to persevere  I know I daily need to just rely on God because I just feel I come up far short when I act in my own strength.  And sometimes life can seem overwhelming.  I can imaging homeschooling feels like that, especially when you have lost your voice!  But you really are passing on that Godly legacy to your children and making a difference for time and eternity.

1/22/2015 5:18 am  #13

Ex14:9-1213 The Egyptians are coming down fast on the Israelites and they beging to freak out. They say to Moses "Because they are no graves in Eygpt you have brought us out into the wilderness to die. It would be better to serve the Eygptians than to die in the wilderness". Moses calms the people with truth that the Lord is their salvation and after today you will no longer see the Eygptians. (paraphase mine)

There is only one option for fear and concern, that is to turn to the LORD. His word is truth, His promises are the only thing we can truly rely on.

Psalm 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains,
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever. (NASB) 

Ah what sweet balm to any worries.

1/22/2015 11:42 am  #14

Exodus 14

14:11-12 They said to Moses, "Is it because there are no graves in Egypt that you have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us in bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this what we said to you in Egypt: 'Leave us alone that we may serve the Egyptians'? For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness."

Wow, and just look at Exodus 4:30-31 Aaron spoke all the words that the LORD had spoken to Moses and did the signs in the sight of the people.  So the people believed; and when they heard that the Lord had visited the children of Israel and that He had looked on their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshiped.

How quickly we forget God's provision.  When we can only see barriers, how quick we are to not trust God's plan, we cannot see what path he will open to carry us through (not out of or around, but through) what ever trials are blocking our way.  I found a good article on this passage entitled, What to do When You Feel Trapped.

1/23/2015 4:25 am  #15

I have been listening to a wonderful series that "Revive Our Hearts" is airing at the moment on your speech. Over the last 2 weeks I lost my voice and got it back again. I am a talker so this is real hard for me and since it happens about 6 times a year it is also really frustrating. The series that I metioned has been looking at the fact that our words come from what is in our hearts. How we respond to others, what we chat about. Limiting what I have been able to say has really made me think, is what I am saying when I have a voice is it coming form a heart of love, kindness, the things of the Lord. Or is it coming from frustrations, self seeking pride, my own high and mighty opinion. I have been blessed with an opportunity from God to really look at my heart and confess and repent where I am walking in the flesh and not the spirit. I pray that the Lord have His way in me and put more of Him in daily and less of me.

I have so enjoyed the last 3 weeks in this awesome book and reading others thoughts and insights, thanks to everyone.

1/23/2015 11:39 am  #16

Chapter 14

I was just looking at chapter 14 again and had some more insights.

Scripture 14:10-12
When Pharaoh drew near, the people of Israel lifted up their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them, and they feared greatly. And the people of Israel cried out to the LORD. They said to Moses, "Is it because there are no graves in Egypt that you have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us in bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this what we said to you in Egypt: 'Leave us alone that we may serve the Egyptians'? For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness."

Observations
The people feared the Egyptians more than they feared God,  even after God had done such great marvels.  God was even currently before them in a cloud and pillar of fire, yet they still were more focused on the Egyptians instead of having confidence in God’s power.

In Exodus 4:30 it says: So the people believed; and when they heard that the Lord had visited the children of Israel and that He had looked on their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshiped.  They believed.  But now they are questioning God’s deliverance.  I wonder if it is because they could not possibly imagine how God would get them out of this situation.  No matter how many miracles they saw it seems they still could not stop focusing on the tangible physical challenges around them.

Lastly they say they would rather have stayed in slavery in Egypt than to be delivered if deliverance meant facing challenges and fears.

Application
I sometimes people feel that they would rather stay in slavery and bondage to sin than to step out to serve God.  Because if we stay in bondage we don’t have to strive against the forces of this world.  If we choose to accept God’s deliverance and follow His leading then we have to go to battle against the world.  We would rather live complacent, even if it meant slavery, because at least everything would be taken care of and there would be no pressure on us.  But if we follow  we will have battles and challenges before us and there will be times when we fear for our lives and feel trapped.  We don’t want to deal with those difficult times.

1/23/2015 11:56 am  #17

Exodus 15

11 "Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?

13 "You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength to your holy abode.

18 The LORD will reign forever and ever."

This is still God’s character.  We forget that He is still all powerful, He is still on the throne and He is still in control.  It is because of His mercies that He has not thrown down the powers of this world.  Because He desires that none should parish so He holds off with His wrath and judgment while waiting to draw more people to Himself. 

2 Peter 3:9
God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. He's giving everyone space and time to change. (TM)

The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent. (NLT)

Lamentations 3:22
It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed , because his compassions fail not.

1/25/2015 2:59 am  #18

Exodus 13

The LORD went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire. This allowed them to travel by day or by night. And the LORD did not remove the pillar of cloud or pillar of fire from its place in front of the people. (‭Exodus‬ ‭13‬:‭21-22‬ NLT)

This is a beautiful example of Gods direction in our lives even through the wilderness when we feel alone and he's nowhere in sight. He gives us stepping stones.

1/25/2015 3:15 am  #19

Exodus 14

S - But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” (‭Exodus‬ ‭14‬:‭13-14‬ NLT)

O - time and time again the Israelites show such little faith even when God does such marvelous works. So quickly they forget and become fearful. But Moses is saying be still and let God. Just relax and let go.

A - I have a hard time of just letting go and letting God. I get all up in my head and think I have to figure it all out, instead of standing still and letting God handle it.

K - God help us to be of great faith even during times of uncertainty. And to simply let you handle life's stumbling blocks and road blocks. Help us to let you carry our burdens. And lastly, thank you for your grace when we don't have much faith. You still protect and deliver us. Thank you, Jesus, amen.

1/26/2015 2:04 am  #20

Exodus 15

A few thoughts here.  The song of praise made me think about how little we praise God for the wonders he does for us and how I need to outwardly  acknowledge his greatness in my life a little more.

Scripture: Then the people complained and turned against Moses. “What are we going to drink?” they demanded. (‭Exodus‬ ‭15‬:‭24‬ NLT)

Observation: It amazes me that In one breath they're praising God and the next  breath they complain, worry and turn their backs on Moses and God. Oh ye of little faith. God, help me to not lose sight of you and negate my gratefulness with complaints and worries. Help me to be mindful, Lord.

Board footera