Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2015 10:14 pm  #1

Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 21-25

Guys, read Courtney's post on our reading this week.  This is a challenging reading, and her post, as always, is so apt:
http://womenlivingwell.org/category/good-morning-girls/

Overview Exodus 21-25:
Making Sense of the Law

Monday
Reading: Exodus 21
Chapter Insights: The Law | Chapter 21
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God's laws are being presented to the people.  When dealing in the area of personal injuries and servants, what would the world be like if we were to follow some of the same principles today?

Tuesday
Reading: Exodus 22
God's guidance on dealing with each other seem to be one of simply looking out for one another.  Is there someone that you can reach out to today and show them that you truly care?

Wednesday
Reading: Exodus 23
God expresses the importance of taking time to rest.  What are some ways that you ensure that you take time to rest?

Thursday
Reading: Exodus 24
After Moses had finished presenting all of the laws, he asked the people if they agreed to the terms.  The people all chose to accept the terms. Name a time that you made an agreement with God.  Did you stay true to the terms of that agreement?

Friday
Reading: Exodus 25
God became very specific about the design He wanted for the ark.  If He is that specific in the design of an object, how specific do you think He is on the design of our lives?

Last edited by TBG (2/01/2015 11:14 pm)

2/03/2015 12:06 am  #2

Re: Weekly Discussion: Exodus Chapters 21-25

Chapter 21
I think what I see here is that people had to answer to God for their treatment of others under their authority.  And even people under authority had rights.  Also people were not to be in a state of permanent servitude.  

I also see that people should not be negligent in their behavior if it can possibly harm others.

2/03/2015 12:07 am  #3

Chapter 22
I see in this chapter that we should not take advantage of others and treat people with compassion.

2/03/2015 4:25 am  #4

Ex 22:14 If a man borrows anything from his neighbour, and it is injured or dies while the owner is not with it, he shall make full restitution. If the owner is with it he shall not make restitution; if it is hired, it came for its hire.
I believe God wanted the IsraelitIies to take full responsibility for others possession which have be interested in to their care. We also must do the same. If I damage another's property I am responsible to make a mends for it. Especially as an ambassador of Christ, to behave in a manor that is worthy of the gospel. Php 1:27 " Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, "(first section).

2/04/2015 10:43 pm  #5

Exodus 23

Although these were specific commands given specifically to Israel, there are some concepts that we should incorporate as well.

Verse 2 You shall not fall in with the many to do evil
We should not hang out with and join in with people doing wrong.  It is easy to dismiss this as not an issue for us, but do we hang out while someone gossips about someone else? Do we stand by while someone excludes someone else?

Verse  4 "If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey going astray, you shall bring it back to him
We should do right even by our enemies; yes it is not your responsibility to take care of their ox but a decent person would not just sit by and watch something get lost.  So we should speak up even when it is to help our enemies.

This is a good reminder for me.  At work I would not say I have an enemy, but there are people who are unkind and do things that try to make me look bad.  This verse reminds me of the attitude I should have towards them.  It is convicting.

Verse 10-11 "For six years you shall sow your land and gather in its yield, but the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie fallow, that the poor of your people may eat;

We should provide for charity.  But notice in this passage they did not just let poor sit around and give them food.  The poor had to harvest the food themselves.

Verse  18 "You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with anything leavened, or let the fat of my feast remain until the morning.
This is ceremonial in relation to Israel as a theocracy (a government ruled by God).  It is symbolic because leaven represents sin.  So there should be no sin in the offering.  It should be a pure offering.

Verse 19 "The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the LORD your God. "You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk.
I believe this was similar to a pagan practice.  So God did not want them doing anything like the pagan worship of false gods.

Verse 33 They shall not dwell in your land, lest they make you sin against me; for if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you."
This should remind us also of how others can lead us away from God and weaken our walk with Him.

Verses 20-33
God made such amazing promises to them if they would just obey Him and forsake foreign gods but they could not.
God had made amazing promises to us (Ephesians 1) if we would just forsake our sins and commit our lives to Him but so many do not.

2/04/2015 10:44 pm  #6

Loretta wrote:

Ex 22:14 If a man borrows anything from his neighbour, and it is injured or dies while the owner is not with it, he shall make full restitution. If the owner is with it he shall not make restitution; if it is hired, it came for its hire.
I believe God wanted the IsraelitIies to take full responsibility for others possession which have be interested in to their care. We also must do the same. If I damage another's property I am responsible to make a mends for it. Especially as an ambassador of Christ, to behave in a manor that is worthy of the gospel. Php 1:27 " Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, "(first section).

Good insight.  We do see a disturbing trend in our society of people not wanting to take responsibility.  And yes, we do need to be aware of not slandering God's character by our actions.

2/05/2015 1:26 am  #7

Exodus 22

“You must not mistreat or oppress foreigners in any way. Remember, you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. (‭Exodus‬ ‭22‬:‭21‬ NLT)

The above spoke to me. Be kind to others that are different from you.  It's a shame that our society goes against this and has so throughout history.

Exodus 23

The above verse is also called out again in chapter 23! Think God is trying to tell us something ? He means business and is trying to unite people not find ways to differentiate.

Here are the rest of the verses that stuck with me. It's such a loaded chapter. God puts a strong emphasis on having a day to rest and not work which I really need to get better at. He reminds us that he is guiding us to a place that is prepared for us. It's a reminder his way is the best way.

And to stick to our guns with what is right no matter if we "think" it will be for the selfish betterment of ourselves or we dislike someone. Lastly. Protection from illness, miscarriage and infertility. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to today, because clearly many Christians deal with these issues..I sure wish it did. Hes still a great God, anyway.

“You must not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you are called to testify in a dispute, do not be swayed by the crowd to twist justice.

“Take no bribes, for a bribe makes you ignore something that you clearly see. A bribe makes even a righteous person twist the truth.

“You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but on the seventh day you must stop working. This gives your ox and your donkey a chance to rest. It also allows your slaves and the foreigners living among you to be refreshed.

“See, I am sending an angel before you to protect you on your journey and lead you safely to the place I have prepared for you.

“You must serve only the LORD your God. If you do, I will bless you with food and water, and I will protect you from illness. There will be no miscarriages or infertility in your land, and I will give you long, full lives. (‭Exodus‬ ‭23‬:‭2, 8, 12, 20, 25-26‬ NLT)

2/09/2015 2:05 am  #8

Exodus 24

And the glory of the LORD settled down on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days. On the seventh day the LORD called to Moses from inside the cloud. To the Israelites at the foot of the mountain, the glory of the LORD appeared at the summit like a consuming fire. Then Moses disappeared into the cloud as he climbed higher up the mountain. He remained on the mountain forty days and forty nights. (‭Exodus‬ ‭24‬:‭16-18‬ NLT)

This reminds me that maybe sometimes a night of praying isn't enough to fully receive gods instruction. We need to take more time to really listen and wait on God to commune with us.

Board footera