Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2014 8:43 am  #11

Re: Esther - All Chapters

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Wow ...two things here. 1) we can't write people off just because they're different from us. And we do this all the time. We separate and discriminate through race, religion, social status, etc instead of being inclusive as we ought to do as Christians

2) this is such a great example of being used in high places. A reminder we are supposed to be wherever we are for a reason. And accept that. This is what I love about the book of Esther.

This makes me think of the following verse:

"Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. [Ps. 55:22.] (‭1 Peter‬ ‭5‬:‭6-7‬ AMP)"

It is easy to want to only be around people who are like you and have more similar life experiences.  So many people were questioning in our move if we wanted to live around people “like that” alluding to the region in which we moved.  But we do want to stay around things that are more comfortable and familiar with us.  But what can we learn from others who have different experiences and backgrounds and what can we learn about the love of Christ? Excellent point.

And what a great verse!! Very apt.  This should probably be our memory verse for this week’s reading.  I am going to retype that verse in bold so we can all focus on it.

9/05/2014 8:52 am  #12

I just got caught up today w/ the reading plan so I am going to point out a few things from Chapter 2-6.

It strikes me how Haman wants to be exalted by everyone.  Basically, he wanted to be God.  Mordecai who is only to give honor and the act of bowing down to God refuses to give it to him.  The "god" Haman gets angry.  

How many of us are like Haman today?  Others don't bow down to us, so we feel we have to demand our "rights."  Our society reflects much of what is going on in the Media and Perian time.  They were full of sin and weren't honoring God the creator.  

In response to itsjenniferrose point 1)  I have to share a story.  This summer my family and I were on the beach in Alabama.  There was this guy w/ tattoos and a beard.  Scruffy looking guy.  My family and I weren't sitting very far from him and  I was wondering if we were safe.  Then I went back to ignoring him.  Then all of a sudden I hear him singing praise songs.  I was ashamed at the thought of my families safety.   I once again judged the cover of the book.  
Thank you for the 1 Peter5:6-7 Bible verse.  I am in great need of being humble and serving out a great portion of grace towards my husband.  A few days ago there was a blog entry on the Women Living Well blog that talked about Grace toward your husbands.  I needed that. 

Last edited by sweetlight (9/05/2014 8:54 am)

9/05/2014 9:22 am  #13

Memory Verse

itsjenniferrose shared a great verse that would be wonderful for our memory verse for this week.

"Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. [Ps. 55:22.] (1 Peter 5:6-7 AMP)"

9/08/2014 12:50 am  #14

@sweetlight that's very humble of you to share that. So awesome!  I'm working on it daily.  It's a challenge in today's society.

Chapter 6-7

Haman was so caught up in what he wanted and being angry, and caught up in jealousy, that he ended up with the short end of the stick resulting in death. That's a huge lesson for us all.

I'm such a competive person and fall victim to this. We have to step back. That attitude Just causes us to suffer more.

9/08/2014 7:30 am  #15

sweetlight wrote:

How many of us are like Haman today?  Others don't bow down to us, so we feel we have to demand our "rights."  Our society reflects much of what is going on in the Media and Perian time.  They were full of sin and weren't honoring God the creator.  

That is so hard for me as well.  In our culture, we are taught to be assertive and that is great but we can be so focused on that that we have to always demand our rights.  I do struggle with this.  Just knowing when to be gracious and just let it go.  I wrote on the GMG that we get angry when people offend us, but Jesus only got angry when people offended God and His standards.  Convicting.

sweetlight wrote:

I am in great need of being humble and serving out a great portion of grace towards my husband.  A few days ago there was a blog entry on the Women Living Well blog that talked about Grace toward your husbands.  I needed that. 

I have been wanting to read those post and have not done so yet.   (there were also 4 others on that topic from other blogger doing the marriage series with WLW).  But it is easy to not be gracious in our expectations of our husbands.  I will have to read it.   Any key points that stood out to you?

9/08/2014 7:35 am  #16

itsjenniferrose wrote:

I'm such a competive person and fall victim to this. We have to step back. That attitude Just causes us to suffer more.

It is an issue of control, we have to create the outcome we want and we will do it.  It is so hard to not want to take control.  Our pastor spoke on this yesterday, people who have ability, success and are good problem solvers tend to have difficulties giving up control - because we think we can do it ourselves.

Chapter 8
God did not take the Jews out of the trial, he took them through the trial.  They still had to fight.  Imagine, that is a scary, bloody, and dangerous thing to have to go out and fight in hand-to-hand combat.

We tend to want God to get rid of the difficult things instead of being with us as we go through the difficult things.

9/09/2014 7:15 am  #17

In closing Esther. If you did not watch Courtney's video last Wednesday, "When Your Story Doesn’t End Like Esther" you really should. 

And thinking about Esther, I am reminded that even when we are faithful to God we may go through trials.  And God may deliver us through the battle not from it.

In closing, here is a video that I think may encourage all of us regardless of what we may be going through.

9/09/2014 3:52 pm  #18

I have enjoyed reading the discussion here on the book of Esther today.  I have read, but haven't taken the time to come here to write anything.  The most important thing I think I took away from this whole book was stated above in God going through the difficult times and trials with us instead of taking us out of them.  That's how we are shaped more into His likeness.  It gives us compassion for others and understanding that we wouldn't otherwise have.
On another note - I have heard of the Festival of Purim, but  never took the time to find out where it came from.  I guess this was something I overlooked in reading Esther before.  I think it's awesome that it's still celebrated today.  A reminder of God's goodness to His people. 

9/10/2014 1:46 am  #19

TBG wrote:

We tend to want God to get rid of the difficult things instead of being with us as we go through the difficult things.

Yes! Sometimes we just have to fight through it and sometimes there is great reward and not always right away. Esther also shows us you get more bees with honey.

Also good video on "when your story doesn't end like Esther". As the bible says, the good and bad happen to the just and unjust. And you can't compare one person's faithfulness to another or your own. I think when we are true to ourselves and try to live the principals the best we can, we are being courageous.

Board footera