Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2015 8:39 pm  #31

Re: Matthew Discussion

Matthew 10

Scripture 10:27-28, 32-33,
What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

Application
We need to boldly proclaim the name of Christ. And yes, there may be a cost for that. People have been losing their jobs when they speak out for Biblical truth. But we should fear not pleasing God more than we fear the criticism and rejection of society. If we don’t speak up for Christ, He will not speak up for us.

We need to not just acknowledge God by saying we believe in God or even Jesus, but we don’t really acknowledge Him if we don’t acknowledge His true character and identify as shown in the Bible. Otherwise we are just acknowledging a proper name, Jesus is Greek for Joshua. So, if we don’t acknowledge the Biblical Jesus, we are not acknowledging the Messiah and the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, we are just acknowledging a Jesus made up by ourselves.

Scripture 10:38-39
And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Application
This means we need to daily put to death our selves and our desires to follow Jesus. This is powerful that it says we are not worthy of the sacrifice Christ made for us if we do not daily die to self. This is a tall task. But if we ultimately seek our own protection and self interest, we will not find our eternal life in Christ. This goes for the previous section also about speaking out for Christ.

3/16/2015 10:51 pm  #32

Application
"I don’t think this is because we are better people or more godly than John. I think it is because we actually have God living inside us, we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us and guiding us."

Thank you for this reminder. So often I rely on my christian friends and family to have my back. And I forget that even if I am alone that the Holy Spirit teaches me what is is I am to do or say in times of trials. So I am never alone. Startig a new job leaves me to give into my fears of feeling alone or like an outside. Now I have a new perspective...  God is with me wherever I go...

Thanks for sharing,

3/16/2015 10:58 pm  #33

TBG wrote:

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Matthew 24:  “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."

Mediatating on this verse. I believe that Faith is so important in times of trials and tribulations. It is essential to know that: "If God is for us who can be against us..." ( Romans). I think 2014 was a year of storms and I am beginning to see the rainbow in the clouds. The maker of the universe knows my name and he knows what's best.

I have been blessed in this bible study. Making a short goal to read one chapter daily I believe has really strengthened my faith. I am hoping to make more wise choices as 2015 unfolds. Also so thankful to God who helped protect me in a potentially disasters situation at work. I am amazed at how he can use others to support us in times of distress. I also have been having a run in with the flu. But I am also thankful that by the grace of God I have been able to complete the work load that has been required for me. Here today with a heart of Thanksgiving knowing that I am in a much better situation than 2014...yet realizing the storms will continue to come because God loves me all that much to grow my faith so I too can walk on water...

I often read a blog called: God Sized Dreams...and they have adopeted the song, "Oceans" as apart of their theme...Sharing this website and song with you all today hoping it may bless you...http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+oceans&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3CB44B7DC1B8E3C5006D3

Theresnoplacelike Home

So sorry to hear you have had the flu. It really seems to be going around. I really like this reading one chapter a day also, it really lets you "SOAK" in the scripture. Seriously. By focusing on only one chapter you can't just skip over but have to ponder what that passage is really saying. I am seeing so many things I have never seen before.

I love that video and that song. It is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you were able to listen to it. And found it encouraging. Blessings, Therenoplacelike Home

3/17/2015 1:20 am  #34

Marthew 11

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭11‬:‭28-30‬ NLT)

This scripture is so powerful to me right now as I had to recently make a difficult decision. This gives me comfort. I'm so grateful for God's grace and mercy.

3/17/2015 6:59 pm  #35

Matthew12:34
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart[g] brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the Day of Judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

These verses resonate with me because I made a personal commitment to be impeccable with my words as a goal this year.  I knew that I would not be able to accomplish this but I wanted to focus and improve in this area none the less. I am reminded about how God thinks about our words. Clearly we will be held accountable for what we say.

James 1: 19-20 tells us:
“So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.”

My husband is a wonderful example of how to be cautious with his words. He is both a good listener and a good at conversation. He takes his time before he forms his sentences. As a result he is respected, makes less mistakes with his communication and in general is great person to talk to…

I on the other hand am not slow to speak. I am often told that I talk to fast. I am not the greatest listener. And I admit every now and then I listen to gossip. I know that I can do better but with so many words that come out of my mouth.

Words are powerful and the can do great good to encourage and uplift others. But when we use are words unwisely we can cause great pain in others and ourselves. Praying that I can grow leaps and bounds in this area this year!!

Thanking God for his provisions this day. And praying that he would continue to use me as an instrument in any which way he so choses.

Theresnoplacelike Home

3/18/2015 9:15 am  #36

There is so much in these chapters, it is almost like we should be reading 10 verses a day and not a chapter!

Matthew 12

Scripture 12:28

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Observation
Jesus was showing them that the kingdom of God was here, but they did not want to accept Him.

Scripture 12:30
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Observation/Application
One cannot stay neutral. One must make a decision to either follow and obey Christ or work against Christ. If we are not fulfilling God’s purposes, we are thwarting them. Another very convicting statement.

Scripture 12:34-37
You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Application
When I am short of impatient with people, what does this tell me about what is going on in my heart, what my motives are and what my priorities are.

Scripture 12:7
And if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless

Observation
Jesus is quoting from Hosea 6:6 and Micah 6:6-8.

Micah 6:6-8 reads:
With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

They did not understand the purpose and heart of the law. God said do no work on the Sabbath and they added a whole bunch of stipulations as to what that meant and then held up their stipulations as truth yet the missed the entire heart and purpose. Again, they do external religious acts yet don’t have a heart for God. What God ultimately wants is for us to act justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with God.

3/18/2015 8:21 pm  #37

TBG wrote:

There is so much in these chapters, it is almost like we should be reading 10 verses a day and not a chapter!

Matthew 12

Scripture 12:28

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Observation
Jesus was showing them that the kingdom of God was here, but they did not want to accept Him.

Scripture 12:30
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Observation/Application
One cannot stay neutral. One must make a decision to either follow and obey Christ or work against Christ. If we are not fulfilling God’s purposes, we are thwarting them. Another very convicting statement.

Scripture 12:34-37
You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Application
When I am short of impatient with people, what does this tell me about what is going on in my heart, what my motives are and what my priorities are.

Scripture 12:7
And if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless

Observation
Jesus is quoting from Hosea 6:6 and Micah 6:6-8.

Micah 6:6-8 reads:
With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

They did not understand the purpose and heart of the law. God said do no work on the Sabbath and they added a whole bunch of stipulations as to what that meant and then held up their stipulations as truth yet the missed the entire heart and purpose. Again, they do external religious acts yet don’t have a heart for God. What God ultimately wants is for us to act justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with God.

Well said, Micah 6:8 is a great verse to refer to when we get lost in legalism. Yet, even those three things can only be  be accomplished  by a man/woman that is totally devoted to God. I feel like there is so much in each chapter as well! Thank you for sharing,

3/19/2015 8:22 am  #38

Matthew 13

Scripture 13:22

As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

Application
It is such a temptation to let myself get distracted by all the stresses and cares of the world and to allow myself to become consumed with just the things of the world in general. This prevents seeing spiritual fruit and living a fruitful life for God.

Scripture 13:44
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Application
Do I love God’s kingdom so much that there is nothing more precious to me than it? Would I give up everything that I deem valuable, including the desires and longings of my heart, to seek and find and have God’s purpose and God’s kingdom?

If I do this, then I won’t be consumed with things of this world and will live a fruitful life.

I want to fall so in love with God that nothing else is of importance t o me and so that I value nothing more. In doing so then maybe I will see my small mustard seed of faith grow into the large fruitful tree like in verse 32. Or see my faith permeate my entire life like the leaven in verse 33.

There was a good devotional on this chapter regarding the parables. In summary it said the following.
Don’t really want to know and understand. They act like they do by going to Church and being “spiritual” is the latest “in” thing to do. But they do not really want to know the truth because they want their own truth so Jesus hides the truth from them because of their insincerity. Only when we have a humble heart to want to know and do God’s truth can we fully comprehend it.

3/19/2015 11:38 pm  #39

Matthew 14
And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.”

Compassion- Webster’s dictionary defines this as: A feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for someone struck by misfortune, accompanied by a desire to alleviate the suffering; mercy.

Wow. Often the word compassion is spoken and thought about but never acted out correctly. If we truly were moved with compassion, then we would bear the burden of the individual or individuals we felt this compassion for.  

The miracle of feeding the 5000 was such an act of goodness and the essences of compassion demonstrated with action not just words alone.  

Jesus was moved with compassion, but the perspective of the disciples were quite different then the Messiah’s.

“When it was evening, His disciples came to Him, saying, “This is a deserted place, and the hour is already late. Send the multitudes away, that they may go into the villages and buy themselves food.”

Yep. They were moved too but in a different way. They wanted to send them home to the villages so they didn’t have to see them in need.  A solution to the problem, but what the disciples saw as a problem Jesus saw as an opportunity to intervene.

” But Jesus said to them, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” And they said to Him, “We have here only five loaves and two fish.”

As the night is drawing near there is a need to be meet. The people need to eat. Jesus not wanting to send them away without food. Suggest that they give them something to eat.The disciples reply was logical, they had only five loaves and two fish which in another gospel we learn was given by a young boy. Then the bible tells us he said:

“Bring them here to Me.” 19 Then He commanded the multitudes to sit down on the grass. And He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed and broke and gave the loaves to the disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitudes.”

As Jesus prepared the meal he had the people set in groups. And then he prayed. What a powerful act. He called on the one who can and is able to do the impossible-- A miracle. And what happened next was just that…

So they all ate and were filled, and they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that remained. 21 Now those who had eaten were about five thousand men, besides women and children”

This miracle was one that helped meet the physical needs of those around him. Often as Christians we pray and discuss the spiritual warfare that is invisible. But when there are those around us that are in need of physical needs such as food and shelter do we act and respond…are we moved with compassion..?

Matthew 10: 42 says:

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward."

I don’t help every homeless person that I meet. But if I could only begin to feel the word that Jesus felt in that moment: Compassion. Then, I know I would be a better person making this world a better place.

Dear Jesus,
Help me to use my time wisely so that I am able to help those around me. I know my days are numbered and there is so much work to be done because your word says that, “The Harvest is plentiful, but the labors are few.”

Amen.
Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (3/19/2015 11:40 pm)

3/20/2015 1:24 am  #40

Yes yes yes! I'm here with you on this. Really working on it as this is probably my biggest flaw-too quick to speak and reckless with my words. God save us from ourselves and keep a gate at our lips.

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Matthew12:34
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart[g] brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the Day of Judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

These verses resonate with me because I made a personal commitment to be impeccable with my words as a goal this year.  I knew that I would not be able to accomplish this but I wanted to focus and improve in this area none the less. I am reminded about how God thinks about our words. Clearly we will be held accountable for what we say.

James 1: 19-20 tells us:
“So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.”

My husband is a wonderful example of how to be cautious with his words. He is both a good listener and a good at conversation. He takes his time before he forms his sentences. As a result he is respected, makes less mistakes with his communication and in general is great person to talk to…

I on the other hand am not slow to speak. I am often told that I talk to fast. I am not the greatest listener. And I admit every now and then I listen to gossip. I know that I can do better but with so many words that come out of my mouth.

Words are powerful and the can do great good to encourage and uplift others. But when we use are words unwisely we can cause great pain in others and ourselves. Praying that I can grow leaps and bounds in this area this year!!

Thanking God for his provisions this day. And praying that he would continue to use me as an instrument in any which way he so choses.

Theresnoplacelike Home

Board footera