Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2015 9:33 pm  #1

Leviticus

Please take a moment and read the excellent introduction to Leviticus from Courtney at Good Morning Girls.

Why Study Leviticus

Leviticus deals with the matters of the Levites. All the priests are instructed in how they are to assist the people in worship, and the people are informed about how to live a holy life.

New Testament writers quote the book of Leviticus over 15 times.

There are so many connections between Leviticus and the New Testament, that really, if you don’t read Leviticus, how will you understand Hebrews? And, Hebrews is one of the great books that details New Covenant faith. It is truly a cornerstone of the meaning of Christianity. So Leviticus is key insight into a later fuller understanding of the new covenant Christian faith.

Some insight from [url=gty.org/resources/bible-introductions/MSB03]John MacArthur[/url] and J. Vernon McGee.

As you read Leviticus, compare features of this book with the New Testament. In the New Testament we see types and analogies based on the tabernacle and the ceremonial aspects of the law that teach valuable lessons about Christ and New Covenant reality.

However, it is important to remember that the most profitable study in Leviticus is that which yields truth in the understanding of:
- Sin
- Guilt
- Substitutionary death
- Atonement

Key Points
- The ceremonial law served only as a shadow of the reality of Christ and His redemptive work (Heb. 10:1).
- The sacrificial features of Leviticus point to their ultimate, one-time fulfillment in the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ (Heb. 9:11–22).
- The church is under the authority of the New Covenant, not the Old (Heb. 7–10)

The New Testament clearly annuls
- OT ceremonial law (Acts 10:1–16; Col. 2:16, 17)
- The levitical priesthood (1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 1:6; 5:10; 20:6)
- The sanctuary (Matt. 27:51)

The New Testament clearly institutes the New Covenant
- Matt. 26:28
- 2 Cor. 3:6–18
- Heb. 7–10

2 Timothy 3:14-17
You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness s; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

All scripture is:
- Able to give you wisdom that leads to salvation
- Inspired by God
- Profitable for teaching
- Profitable for reproof
- Profitable for correction
- Profitable for training in righteousness
The results will ensure that you are adequate and equipped to fulfill God’s work in your lives.

Another translation is:
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

We either believe what the Bible says or we don’t. So do we believe that even Levitcus is profitable?

Last edited by TBG (4/19/2015 9:40 pm)

4/19/2015 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Leviticus

Please take a moment and read the excellent introduction to Leviticus from Courtney at Good Morning Girls.

Overview of Leviticus
Some information from [url=gty.org/resources/bible-introductions/MSB03]John MacArthur[/url], J. Vernon McGee, and Steve Mays (another by Mays).

In the Book of Leviticus the children of Israel were marking time at Mount Sinai. The book opens and concludes at the same geographical spot, Mount Sinai, where God gave the Law in Exodus.

Exodus concludes with the tabernacle constructed and the glory of the Lord filling it.  Leviticus opens with God speaking from inside the tabernacle and rather than from Mount Sinai. The book opens “and He called.”

So God calls the people of Israel to Him and tells them how to come. They were called by God and called out by God to be holy and different from the nations around them.

This book was given to Israel for direction in living as a holy nation in fellowship with a holy God. It was a code of law for the total wellbeing of Israel — physical, moral, and spiritual.

All of these physical exercises were given to teach spiritual truths. Paul states that “these things were our examples” (1 Corinthians 10:6).

Theme: Holiness to Jehovah
The way to God is by sacrifice:
Atonement (at-one-ment) occurs 45- 49 times. In other words, I am at one with God.

In the Old Testament, it was a covering and that is what you need to understand. In the New Testament, it was Jesus taking away the sins of the world.

Atonement means to cover up. The blood of bulls and goats did not actually take away sin. It covered over until Christ came to take away our sins.

The walk with God is by sanctification
Holiness occurs 87 times.

Genesis: man ruined
Exodus: man redeemed
Leviticus: man worshiping

Genesis: Israel called
Exodus: Israel saved
Leviticus: Israel is sanctified

This is like how Christ has called, saved, and sanctified us. We were in sin, we were redeemed and we should now respond in worship.

The word church in the New Testament is “ekklesia.” This word means “called out ones.” We are the called out ones. And God has also called us to be holy and separate from the pollution of this world.

1 Peter 1:14–16
As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

A summary from Steve Mays:
We don’t stand for righteousness. We are not concerned about holiness and we think, “Well, I am holy,”
but yet we gossip. Well, then we are not holy. Our tongue is really the tongue of the devil. We don’t respect and revere God, we listen to the Lord’s name being used in vein and keep watching.

And so, if you are going to say that I am sanctified, then it means that your tongue, your mind, your heart, your affection, your ambition are all given to God and they have all been sanctified before God.

But in Leviticus, He was now going to ordain a priesthood and they were going to teach a nation how to be holy.

But we are now a royal holy priesthood and a holy nation 1 Peter 2:9, 1 Peter 2:5 so we should be an example to the world of living in holiness.

4/19/2015 10:47 pm  #3

Weekly Reading Plan

Monday
Reading: Leviticus 1
Optional Group Thoughts and Discussion:
What analogy does this show to Jesus and His sacrifice? What analogy do you see in how this relate to how we are forgiven from sins?
What is our offering to God? What do these verses tell us about what the characteristics of our offering should be?

Tuesday
Reading: Leviticus 2
Key Verse: 1
Frankincense was an aromatic gum resin that created a sweet smell when burned before God. Some commentators say it was symbolic of prayer. So the priest interceded for the people to raise their prays to God. How does this relate to the gifts given to Christ at His birth?

Key Verse: 4
The leaven symbolizes sin. The offering had to be unleaven. The salt symbolizes covenant and commitment. What does this make us think about in relation to the state our heart should be in when we come before God? See Psalm 51:16-17 for thoughts on this.

Wednesday
Reading: Leviticus 3
The peace offering symbolized peace and fellowship between the true worshiper and God. We see in the New Testament shared meals with the Lord’s supper and the breaking of bread in communion.

Thursday
Reading: Leviticus 4
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God addresses the issue of sin, which the people were not aware of at the time it occurred. When their sin became known to them, they had to offer a sin offering. When you sin unknowingly how do you ensure you take time to confess it to God once it’s brought to light?

Friday
Reading: Leviticus 5
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God is very orderly and in Leviticus, we see that He required offerings to be specific to the occasion and the sacrificial steps to be in order. While we are not required to offer sacrifices anymore, we do need to follow God’s directions for our lives in Christ. How do you need to take steps to ensure you’re living a strong life in Christ by following God’s directions in the New Testament?

4/20/2015 10:46 pm  #4

Leviticus 1

Scripture
Verse 3: If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he shall offer a male without blemish.
Verse 9: but its entrails and its legs he shall wash with water

Observation
Male- this is a sin offering of atonement and foreshadows Christ’s final sacrifice. So, it must be a male to represent Christ.

It must be without blemish, the choicest of the flock.

It must be cleansed from it’s filth – a clean offering.

Application
We need to offer ourselves as living sacrifices holy and acceptable to God, without blemish, and clean. This will not be because of the purity of our own life, but because Christ has covered our sins by His blood and so we are viewed as clean and without blemish before God.

This points to the need for us to give God the best of our lives and efforts – the choicest parts of ourselves.

Scripture 1:4-5
He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. Then he shall kill the bull before the Lord…

Observation
The person offering the animal had to kill it themselves

Application
This is a reminder to us that we killed Christ. It was our hands that crucified Him because of our sins. Our guilt was laid on Christ.

Overall Application
Scripture: Romans 12:1-2
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing yoy may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Application
We are called to live lives acceptable to God and live in holiness. This is how we worship God – not with words. How do we live holy and acceptably? By doing the following.
- Not conforming to this world
- Transforming ourselves into the image of Christ by:
          * Renewing our mind
          * Understanding and following God’s will by testing things against His Word

4/21/2015 7:41 am  #5

Leviticus 2

The grain offering was a voluntary offering of thanksgiving and honor to God. And the frankincense has been thought to represent prayers. So the priest in burning the frankincense lifted up the prayers of the people to God.

This made me think, do we offer regular offerings of thanksgiving to God? Do we show God our gratefulness and gratitude? Do we honor God and pay Him honor in our prayers and in our life?

It also showed me that giving ourselves to God as a living sacrifice is our prayer to God, the way we live our lives are offered up as a prayer to God.

In verse 13 we see the sacrifice was sprinkled with salt. In OT times salt was used to confirm a covenant. So this is a reminder of the covenant. Being reminded of God’s covenant with us is helpful to us in developing an attitude of thanksgiving and appreciation of God’s goodness. We need to be reminded of His promises to us and His covenant with us.

Verse 10: But the rest of the grain offering shall be for Aaron and his sons; it is a most holy part of the LORD's food offerings.

This model for supporting those in full-time ministry. This does not mean they should live in opulence, for the offerings given belong to God for God’s work not for material consumerism of houses and cars. But we should not have those serving full-time impoverished and struggling to meet basic needs. The Bible says a laborer is worthy of his hire.

When Jesus sent his disciples out to minister he said in Matthew 10:9-10: Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support.

Paul has an excellent discussion balancing this in 1 Corinthians 9. Here he discussed that those who sow spiritually have the right to support, but he also balances this with the discussion that they should not be creating stumbling blocks for others and that they should not be seeking material things. Paul even voluntarily chose to give up some of his rightful support.

4/21/2015 8:23 am  #6

Leviticus 1:17
“It is a burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the Lord.”

Although we do not sacrifice turtle doves, cows, or sheep. We are to bring another sacrifice to God each and every day…ourselves!

Romans 12:1
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

Wow! I am to be the sacrifice daily. As I take up my cross to follow Him. At any given time that may mean a number of different things. Right now, for me, it means to be a good teacher wife, friend, daughter, and sister. And to genuinely greet the people that I meet with both kindness and consideration.

At times our lives can feel like an endless battle with ups and downs.  And when we are in the valleys we need to stay strong and rely on God to carry us through. But when we are on the mountain tops it is then that we can lend a hand to help the ones that are traveling through life’s storms.

I am blessed to say that I am not in the valley, but know enough that God wants me to be an ambassador for good. Especially, to those that are my brothers and sisters in Christ.
For now, I believe it means to be especially careful particularly with my words.

James 3:5
“See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.”

Particularly, I would like to spend more time out of my day encouraging others. Because although I don’t have the power or the resources to change the world.

I can make a small difference with one kind word at a time. Praying that everyone in this study has a blessed day rejoicing in the joy of the Lord…

”For the joy of the Lord is our strength…”

Theresnoplacelike Home

4/21/2015 8:25 am  #7

Leviticus 2:13
“And every offering of your grain offering you shall season with salt; you shall not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be lacking from your grain offering. With all your offerings you shall offer salt.”

Salt is a very important ingredients it can preserve food and adds flavor. As Christians we are to be the salt of the earth. We are his representatives and people should see, hear, and feel the difference when they come into contact with us. They should want more…

Matthew 5:13
“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.”

I enjoy fellowshipping with believers but even more so I love to witness to others about all the good things God has done in my life. Sometimes if I am not careful I can become so comfortable with non-believers that instead of witnessing to them I can start acting like them.

The remedy to this problem is just to be actively apart of the Body of Christ. When we go to church, bible studies, and women retreats, we are strengthened in our communion with God and one another.
There is something special that takes place in a church and for me its sanctification. I become more in tune with God. I am aware of his will and his purpose of my life. It’s a safe haven. And it’s a place I need to go back to again and again because Sanctification is a process…

God is constantly shaping us. And when we endure hardships and trials in our life, it is part of the Maker’s plan. By purifying our hearts, just as gold is refined in fire, although painful it is necessary.

Jeremiah 18:6
“Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand…”
Isaiah 64:8
“Yet you, Lord, are our Father we are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.”

This song comforts me knowing when I am going through a difficult time that it is an intricate process as God is handcrafting me for His purpose. The first verse to the song, Purify my heart let me be as gold and precious silver.
Purify my heart

Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold

Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will

Purify my heart
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from my sin
Deep within

4/21/2015 9:19 pm  #8

Leviticus 1

This books forces me to revisit how am I living as a sacrifice and what more can I do? Financially, spiritually and physically.

4/21/2015 9:29 pm  #9

This is right on the money.  I find myself too busy or concerned with what I want and need, And not focused on how I should be sacrificing and being a living example in the way you've outlined here. Good word.

Theresnoplacelike Home wrote:

Leviticus 1:17
“It is a burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the Lord.”

Although we do not sacrifice turtle doves, cows, or sheep. We are to bring another sacrifice to God each and every day…ourselves!

Romans 12:1
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

Wow! I am to be the sacrifice daily. As I take up my cross to follow Him. At any given time that may mean a number of different things. Right now, for me, it means to be a good teacher wife, friend, daughter, and sister. And to genuinely greet the people that I meet with both kindness and consideration.

At times our lives can feel like an endless battle with ups and downs.  And when we are in the valleys we need to stay strong and rely on God to carry us through. But when we are on the mountain tops it is then that we can lend a hand to help the ones that are traveling through life’s storms.

I am blessed to say that I am not in the valley, but know enough that God wants me to be an ambassador for good. Especially, to those that are my brothers and sisters in Christ.
For now, I believe it means to be especially careful particularly with my words.

James 3:5
“See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.”

Particularly, I would like to spend more time out of my day encouraging others. Because although I don’t have the power or the resources to change the world.

I can make a small difference with one kind word at a time. Praying that everyone in this study has a blessed day rejoicing in the joy of the Lord…

”For the joy of the Lord is our strength…”

Theresnoplacelike Home

4/21/2015 10:19 pm  #10

Leviticus 3:5
"And Aaron’s sons shall burn it on the altar upon the burnt sacrifice, which is on the wood that is on the fire, as an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the Lord"

Today, we do not sacrifice a lamb or goat to show our thanksgiving and reverence to God. But we do offer something else our hearts. 

Worship is a form of an offering. As we sing with our lips we make a covenant in our hearts. We bind our will with God and the other members of our congregations when we sing His praises.

Sadly, although the opportunity to worship is presented in churches weekly, a lack of pure motivation is often found. In the gospels Jesus explains how many people just seek after Him for a sign or wonder…

Matthew 12: 38
 "Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”
 But He answered and said to them,

“An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah."

Wow! What a reality check. Are we really different from the scribes and the Pharisees? I think not so much.

There are plenty that show up for a worship service for pure intentions yet so many others who are there for selfish reasons. What will God do for me…might be the heart attitude?

God is looking into our hearts. And he is waiting…

John 4:23
"But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.  God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

I pray that that this is our hour individually and collectively as a church. That our worship would not be just lip service but a wholly devoted to God.

An offering holy and acceptable to God from our hearts, to our lips, to His ears.
And may it be a sweet sound in His ear…because whether we sing on tune, in-tune, or somewhere in-between God is pleased and we are blessed. Why? Because we came…  

I will offer up my life in spirit in truth pouring out the oil of love as my worship to you. In surrender I must give my every part. Jesus what can I give…Jesus what can I give…

These are the lines to a beautiful worship song by Matt Redman: I will offer up my life in Spirit in truth.

I will off up my life

I will offer up my life in spirit and truth
Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to you
In surrender I must give my every part
Lord, receive this sacrifice of a broken heart
Jesus, what can I give, what can I bring
To so faithful a Friend, to so loving a King?
Savior, what can be said, what can be sung
As a praise of Your name for the things You have done?
Oh, my words could not tell, not even in part
Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart
This thankful heart
This thankful heart
You deserve my every breath, for You've paid the great cost
Giving up your life to death, even death on the cross
You took all my shame away, there defeated my sin
Open up the gates of heaven and have beckoned me in
Jesus, what can I give, what can I bring
To so faithful a Friend, to so loving a King?
Savior, what can be said, what can be sung
As a praise of Your name for the things You have done?
Oh, my words could not tell, not even in part
Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart
We'll bring an offering, unto You an offering
What can I, what can I, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
I want to please Your heart
What can I give, what can I bring, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
What can I give, what can I bring, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
What can I bring to the King of kings?
Oh, what can I give, what can I bring, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
Simply this I will offer up my life in spirit and truth
Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to you
In surrender I must give my every part

By: Matt Redman

Lord my prayer is this song. What can I give? Help it to become clearer because I do want to be in tune with you. May your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  And help me see my sin so I may repent of it and be washed in the renewing of your word. Thank you for this day!

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (4/22/2015 1:15 am)

Board footera