Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2015 10:49 pm  #31

Re: Proverbs

rloskoski wrote:

Scripture:
"But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day" Proverbs 4:18

Observation:
As Christians we are supposed to shine. We see that in this verse and also when Jesus tells us to "let our light shine before men so that they may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven" in Matthew 5:16. When we shine we glorify God and we also show other people how to glorify God.

Application:
This verse shows me how I am supposed to live as a Christian. I want to shine bright. I want people to see me as a woman who lives a life glorifying God.

Matthew 5:16 is an encouraging verse...thanks for sharing

6/19/2015 11:01 am  #32

Scripture:
"For the lips of an immoral woman drip honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil, but in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword." Proverbs 5: 3-4

Observation:
These verses show a sweet talking woman who is deceitful. This is behavior we should avoid. We need to be genuine and maintain morals. We also need to make sure that we have homes of high moral standards.

Application:
This passage shows what not to do. I can make it clear that I am a woman of high moral standards. This passage also reminds me how important it will be for my future children to have a mother who sets a good example.

6/19/2015 3:55 pm  #33

I'm a bit taken aback about Proverbs 5 and how explicit it is on the subject of adultery. I've been a victim of this so I feel too hurt to be able to learn anything today. I'll keep going with the study though. I just can't comment right now.

6/21/2015 3:08 pm  #34

Passionflower wrote:

I'm a bit taken aback about Proverbs 5 and how explicit it is on the subject of adultery. I've been a victim of this so I feel too hurt to be able to learn anything today. I'll keep going with the study though. I just can't comment right now.

I am so sorry Passionflower, I just saw this post. I am praying for you right now. God is a God a healing and restoration and I pray that He will comfort your heart and let you know, feel and experience His love and acceptance and know how much He values you.

6/21/2015 3:10 pm  #35

Proverbs 4 
4:1: give attention to know understanding
Priority, value, seek, effort

4:4: Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live.
How can I retain them? Meditate, memorize, regularly read
We wonder why we have discouragement in our hearts, anxiety, stress, why we have conflict with others and relational issues – keep God’s commandments and He will give us life

4:21-22 Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them

We either believe the word of God, or we do not. Because God says keeping His word in our hearts will give us life.

We need to focus on how to live out this discipline of daily keeping our minds set on the word.

23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

Keep - to guard, watch, watch over, to preserve, guard from dangers
Heart - inner man, mind, will, heart, inclination, resolution, determination, seat of appetites, emotions and passions

Protect my mind, will and desires from wrong attitudes, thinking and desires because from this will flow my character and lifestyle.

6/21/2015 3:33 pm  #36

Proverbs 5

This is also a message to us as women about letting men lead us astray. The words may seem sweet but it is a path that leads to destruction. We can forfeit all the blessings God has given us in our life.

Turn to our own spouses and enjoy what they have to offer even if it may not be all that we would like for it to be. Especially after we have been married a long time. Tensions and disappointments ca n build up, but we need to enjoy the good things about our spouse and let that be sufficient to satisfy us (supplemented by God and friends and family and prayer if we are not fully satisfied). We need to realize the beauty of this being the person we have spent so much of our life with and have grown over the years with.

We need to be satisfied with our own spouse and what they offer even if it is very little and even if we deeply desire that they could and would offer more. We need to not look to another man to satisfy our desires, needs or hearts. Why should we seek satisfaction through wickedness and immorality?

5:21-23 For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths. The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

Don’t be fooled, if we act wickedly we will be ensnared and it will destroy us.

6/21/2015 3:36 pm  #37

Week of June 22
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 6
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
God's word is a lamp (verse 23) - it keeps us from evil. Verses 20-23 tell us we should bind it around our neck and we should think about it day and night. What are some ways you practically live out these verses?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 7
Chapter 7 talks about the strange woman- who uses her words and actions to manipulate those around her. We want to not be like her - and guard our families from women (or men!) like her. What are some ways we can protect ourselves from becoming this woman.

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 8
Wisdom is better than rubies - do you pursue the wisdom of God or the riches of man in your daily actions?

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 9
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. What is the difference between wisdom and understanding - and how do you apply those to your life?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 10
Chapter 10 deals a lot with the tongue. How can you speak words of life and not hatred and lies to those around you today?

Meditation & Memory Verse

Last edited by TBG (6/22/2015 7:35 am)

6/22/2015 7:43 am  #38

Proverbs 6 

Scripture 6:16-19
These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren

What stood out to me was that pride is lumped with a lot of really significant sins. We see this elsewhere in the Bible as well. I think we can sometimes underestimate how bad pride is. Pride is a really big deal and it led to the downfall of Satan and the downfall of Adam and Eve.

In verse 32 we again see that sin destroys us – destroys our own soul. When we sin, it is not just about not honoring God but about being the cause of our own destructions. We saw this in the last chapter as well, 5:22-23 The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him, the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

6/22/2015 7:47 am  #39

Proverbs 6

Scripture
Go to the ant, O sluggard;
   consider her ways and be wise
Without having any chief,
   officer, or ruler,
she prepares her bread in summer
   and gathers her food in harvest  (6:6-8)

Observation
Whereas the ant works diligently the sluggard does not.  By following the instructions to look to the ant we can see that being diligent in our work pleases the Lord.

Application
Am I diligent in doing the things that I am supposed to do?  Or do I let myself get distracted by other activities and leave the work?  Am I channeling my inner sluggard or my inner ant?

6/22/2015 3:39 pm  #40

Hi all! I'm glad to have had a break over the weekend and thankyou for your prayers. What struck me about Proverbs six was the list of traits and behaviours that God despises, the seven in the list plus indebtedness (verse 1), laziness (verse 6) and obviously the adultery. Laziness is different from rest, right? In that rest leads to restoration and increased productivity - like my weekend break, whereas with laziness there is an element of avoidance? The other thing I am wondering about is the bit about pride - a friend came to visit and said she used to feel a lot of self-pity but now she thinks that's just as bad as self-pride. I'm not sure what I think about that. I can see that if God values us all equally then putting oneself on any other level of importance than anyone else in either a negative or positive way would mean we thought we knew better than He. What does anyone else think?

Board footera