Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2014 7:39 pm  #11

Re: 1 Peter

Wow TBG, your chapter 3 posting has my name on it. I'm trying so hard to just shut up as every action or statement that I don't agree with or is not performed  my way does not require my opinion. I may need to read your posting  everyday for a week or so.

9/13/2014 1:24 am  #12

Wow just the first 2 chapters of Peter are such huge reminders that i need to get it together. I want to re-read these. Sweetlight, very brave of you to share your struggles.

I'm going through a trial myself and have been for the past 4 months although God has been providing and my faith jn him has not faltered. However there have been times where I've shown jealousy or envy, or I felt impatience and  frustration.

Peter 1 and 2 is definitely a great reminder on our conduct as Christians and through God's grace it's possible.

Great prayer, NLWnMD!

9/13/2014 9:24 am  #13

Good Morning Ladies:
Once again this chapter has so many great life points; however, I'm been lead to focus suffering even when you are doing right or as expected.

V 1-3
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.
O: arm yourself with the same attitude as Christ. Do not live for earthly human desires. (I have done that enough)
A: I don't believe that Christ wants me to suffer just to be suffering. When first reading, it can be taken that Christ wants me to just sit around suffering. What I believe is Christ wants me to die to self, say no to selfish ways and yes to him. I have spent enough time on evil human desires prior to being a Christian and it's time to do God's will (v3) and when I do, regardless of any suffering that I have to endure, it will benefit others (as they will see the Christ in me), and my reward will come. This here on earth is just temporarily and I am to remain committed to GOD. I am to continue doing the will of GOD and maintain a godly attitude in all areas of my life. I am not to question what happens to me or around me but embrace it (suffering and all - it's Godly suffering ) because I am a child of GOD and that itself is a reason to rejoice!

Natalie

9/14/2014 12:52 am  #14

In Peter 3-7. I'm having a hard time with it saying that women are the weaker partner. I have a study bible that said that it is means strength or social status. I was wondering what other thoughts were on this verse?

9/14/2014 4:09 pm  #15

Sweetlight,

I have listened to a lot of radio programs on the Love and Respect.  I love the concepts that the Eggerich's put forth. I really want to just get the book and really study it.

NLWnMD,

My Chapter 3 posting has  my name on it also.  I think that is why God shows you things.  This has really been an ongoing lesson for me over the past year. And I think the general issue of attitude overall.  

Chapter 4
So, I did my reading yesterday in Chapter 4, but just did not have time to come here and post.  And although this really is not the correct application of the chapter the following is just what I felt I needed to focus on.

vs 2- no longer live for my desires, but live to fulfill the will of God,
vs 7 and to be self-controlled and watchful/alert, to love and serve others and be mindful of the fact that God has blessed me with my gifts and to use them in His strenght and not my own.

NLWnMD,
Your prayer really ties into this as well. I think that is prayer I will praying this week.

9/14/2014 4:11 pm  #16

NLWnMD wrote:

Good Morning Ladies:
O: arm yourself with the same attitude as Christ. Do not live for earthly human desires. (I have done that enough)
A: I don't believe that Christ wants me to suffer just to be suffering. When first reading, it can be taken that Christ wants me to just sit around suffering. What I believe is Christ wants me to die to self, say no to selfish ways and yes to him. I have spent enough time on evil human desires prior to being a Christian and it's time to do God's will (v3) and when I do, regardless of any suffering that I have to endure, it will benefit others (as they will see the Christ in me), and my reward will come. This here on earth is just temporarily and I am to remain committed to GOD. I am to continue doing the will of GOD and maintain a godly attitude in all areas of my life. I am not to question what happens to me or around me but embrace it (suffering and all - it's Godly suffering ) because I am a child of GOD and that itself is a reason to rejoice!
Natalie

I love this, very powerful.

9/14/2014 4:32 pm  #17

Bre wrote:

In Peter 3-7. I'm having a hard time with it saying that women are the weaker partner. I have a study bible that said that it is means strength or social status. I was wondering what other thoughts were on this verse?

Well, I don't purport to be a theologian, but again looking at the word in Greek, it does appear to refer to weaker in strength or fragile.  Can you elaborate on your thoughts?  What is feeling uncomfortable to you? 

My initial thoughts are that it says for our husbands to honor us, again looking this up it speaks to that fact of valuing something costly, showing honor and respect.

It also says, that being weaker is not an issue of inferiority, several places in Bible is says there is neither male nor female for we are one in Christ and co-heirs to the promises of God (Galatians 3:28).  This verse also says that we are heirs as well as men and that their prayers will be hindered if they don't treat their wife in this way.  So, I don't see saying weaker as a negative thing, but more a statement of truth.  And pointing out that in general men should protect and provide for a woman.  Now, that is not saying that a woman cannot provide for herself.  I believe Lydia was the merchant women in the NT who I cannot recall was she widowed or just unmarried and was very well of financially.  And of course the Prov 31 women did well in trade as well.  So, I don't think it is saying that women cannot take care of themselves, but that since we are weaker a husband should be patient and tender with us and protect and provide for us.

If you want, I can spend some time seeing what other leading Bible teachers have taught on this and/or ask my Pastor for his thoughts as well.

9/14/2014 4:41 pm  #18

I did a quick search and found this commentary:

Women are generally physically weaker than men and were in a socially weaker position in Greco-Roman society. The notion that women are weaker intellectually, emotionally, morally, or spiritually is not found here. Women are fellow heirs of eternal life. According to Bechtler (via Schreiner 161), the admonition for husbands to honor their wives is unique in Greco-Roman literature. Husbands who fail to honor their wives will have their prayers hindered.

In that society women indeed where in much more unstable positions and basically depended on men for support largely.  If not a husband, a father, if not a father, a brother, if not a brother, an Uncle, etc.  So, I suppose it is telling me not to take advantage of that but to be understanding to her and to honor her.  Note, the above commentary that asking a husband to treat his wife this way was indeed a revolutionary thought in that society where women were treated as possessions.

I don't know if this helps provide sufficient insight to resolving the challenges with this passage.  But, if it is really problematic to you, like I said, I can ask some others who may have deeper knowledge and training than me to weigh in on it.

9/14/2014 5:31 pm  #19

Kind of off topic.  But in the discussions here it seems to be that how many of us are trying to get to that next level in our walk with God, whether it is suffering, trials, or personal growth in our attitudes or actions.  In light of that I thought I would share was was taught in my church today. 

We were talking about fear of commitment, specifically, fearing to completely commit to God. Our Asst Pastor said many of us fear to commit some area of our life to God.

He pointed to the story of the rich young ruler found in Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

He said this is not ultimately about money, but about commitment. Giving our all for Christ. Do we want to be perfect? Then we need to give up that which we value. Not necessarily talking money here, but the things that are precious and important to us, the things that we value, the things we hold onto and the things we are unwilling to commit to God.

He said we don't commit to things because we think there may be a better deal. So, we don't want to sign a 2-year cell phone contract because we think something better will come along.

So, we don't commit these the things we value to God, because we think something better may be in store than that what God has for us. We don't trust that God will give us what is best for us. (I don't mean best as far as blessings in this life and the rain falls on the just and the unjust). But ultimately, we don't trust God and think we will be happier and get a better deal to keep our options open and not totally commit everything to God.

Then he said, There is no better deal than new life, there is no better deal than a transformed life. Wow, There is no better deal than receiving new life and allowing God to transform my life.

He said, we can spend our lives pursuing a lot of things but we fail to fully commit to God because of a fear of the unknown and the fear of a loss of control. We are standing on the edge and just have to take a jump to experience God in new ways.

We have too many distractions in life. We are tying to keep so many plates spinning. If we simplify our life and focus on fewer things and have the time to focus on spiritual things, God's kingdom will become a more present reality in our lives.

Sorry off topic, but it just spoke to me. And I felt that maybe it spoke to where several of us are at right now.

9/14/2014 6:01 pm  #20

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Wow just the first 2 chapters of Peter are such huge reminders that i need to get it together. I want to re-read these. Sweetlight, very brave of you to share your struggles.

I'm going through a trial myself and have been for the past 4 months although God has been providing and my faith jn him has not faltered. However there have been times where I've shown jealousy or envy, or I felt impatience and frustration.

Peter 1 and 2 is definitely a great reminder on our conduct as Christians and through God's grace it's possible.

I think that is why 1 Peter is my favorite book of the Bible. Because he does call me out and tells me to "get it together", to get serious and get focused. I need to hear this maybe too frequently.

And it is also hard for me to have the right attitude and perspective when I am under a lot of stress as well. They say when you squeeze a sponge, whatever is in it will come out of it. So when we get squeezed by stress if we have the Word in us and have been filling up on spiritual things, then spiritual things will come out of us. As I said, this is something I am still trying to perfect. But this Bible study helps so much because it forces me to spend so much more time thinking on the Word and thinking about what God wants.

Ok, so Chapter 5 of 1 Peter.
vs 8-9
Be alert (vigilant) and watchful. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

Sisters, Satan wants to destroy us, to destroy our families, our ministries, to destroy God's work and purpose for you, to destroy your joy, to destroy your future, to destroy your soul, to destroy your life.  Fight, contend for your faith.

Our memory verse, thanks to itsjenniferrose.

Board footera