Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2015 2:19 pm  #61

Re: Proverbs

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Proverbs 10

Sorry I was away traveling and getting back into the swing of things, but I'm back!

What stands out in this chapter is how careful we should be with our words. We should always bring forth wisdom, positivity and insight as Christians when we speak. I definitely work on this one daily. Here are the repetitive scriptures that bring it home mentioned in this chapter.

The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well, but the mouth of the wicked is a dark cave of abuse. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭11‬ MSG)

You’ll find wisdom on the lips of a person of insight, but the shortsighted needs a slap in the face. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭13‬ MSG).

The more talk, the less truth; the wise measure their words. The speech of a good person is worth waiting for; the blabber of the wicked is worthless. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭19-20‬ MSG)

A good person’s mouth is a clear fountain of wisdom; a foul mouth is a stagnant swamp.
The speech of a good person clears the air; the words of the wicked pollute it. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭31-32‬ MSG)

Welcome back! I love reading each of these scriptures in the message. My favorite:

The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well, but the mouth of the wicked is a dark cave of abuse.              (‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭11‬ MSG)

Thanks for sharing all these scriptures!

6/29/2015 2:42 pm  #62

Proverbs 11

Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets.
   but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered 11:13
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout
   is a beautiful woman without discretion 11:22

Observation
Revealing confidences, gossiping, not being discreet in our speech.  These are all things that basically make us ugly people.  Just like a gold ring in a pig’s snout doesn’t make a pig look nice, nice clothes, perfect hair and makeup on a woman with a tongue that is wagging won’t hide the ugly.

Application
This is an area that I can sometimes struggle in, especially at work where I deal with a difficult boss and also act as the unofficial counselor.  But I am learning to guard my tongue.

6/29/2015 7:23 pm  #63

Scripture: "A gracious woman retains honor, but ruthless men retain riches."

Observation: The word "gracious" means godly and marked by kindness and courtesy. When we do what is pleasing to God we are women of honor. We should make it a point to be gracious women.

Application: I can apply this to the way I treat people. It is so important to be kind and gentle to other people, even when it is hard. By being gracious I can show that I care about people. I can show respect to people even if they are not respecting me.

6/30/2015 12:18 am  #64

Proverbs 11

Firstly, thank you theresnoplicelike home for openness and sharing your personal story of the affects of gossip 

Without good direction, people lose their way; the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭11‬:‭14‬ MSG)

I really love the above verse. It stuck out the most to me because beyond talking things out in prayer, it reminds me to talk to my elders and share more with them when I need direction. I don't have to rely on my minimal wisdom, or even discuss with my friends who basically offer the same perspective.

6/30/2015 8:44 am  #65

Proverbs 11 
Integrity and righteousness will guide me (vs 3), deliver me (vs 6) and lead to life (vs 19)
Perversity will destroy me (vs 3), trap me (vs 6) and lead to death (vs 19)

11:22 Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.

Discretion – good judgment, behavior and understanding
Discretion - the quality of being discreet, especially with reference to one's own actions or speech; prudence or decorum:

Beauty is marred by lack of discretion; beauty is misplaced on someone who lacks discretion

rloskoski, I like your application. and it ties into the idea of discretion as well.

Michelle, Oh can't I relate. The pressures of work make it so hard for us to maintain a right attitude. Will be in prayer for you. But it is an amazing opportunity that you can counsel so many others.

6/30/2015 9:08 am  #66

Proverbs 12 

Scripture 12:4
(NIV) A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
(NKJV) An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones
(NLT) A worthy wife is her husband's joy and crown; a shameful wife saps his strength.
(KJV) A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband

Virtuous - ability, efficiency, strength

Application
As I am efficient, capable, good character I will bless my husband with joy and strength, will be “a credit and honor to him, and support and keep his authority in the family, as a crown is an ensign of power”

The opposite is that I will be a source of festering decay that breaks down his support structure, destroys his very core and strength

Also, what stood out to me today was Proverbs 12:16 A fool’s wrath is known at once, but a prudent man ignores an insult.

Unfortunately in a Bible study I think someone is being very insensitive to me. I tried to gently share this with them and they are refusing to even respond. So, I was debating going to the leader, but I am thinking maybe I will just “ignore the insult.”

After all, is it really that big of a deal? It really was not. Just a hurtful and inconsiderate action. It was more the unwillingness to even respond to my concerns that got me than the slight.

Just be gracious, let it slide and let God deal with them. I don’t know. This person is also a sub-leader so I kind of think the main leader needs to be aware of this so she has insight into her character for future leadership issues. But, I don’t know. I shall pray about what to do.

6/30/2015 1:58 pm  #67

TBG wrote:

Also, what stood out to me today was Proverbs 12:16 A fool’s wrath is known at once, but a prudent man ignores an insult.

Unfortunately in a Bible study I think someone is being very insensitive to me. I tried to gently share this with them and they are refusing to even respond. So, I was debating going to the leader, but I am thinking maybe I will just “ignore the insult.”

After all, is it really that big of a deal? It really was not. Just a hurtful and inconsiderate action. It was more the unwillingness to even respond to my concerns that got me than the slight.

Just be gracious, let it slide and let God deal with them. I don’t know. This person is also a sub-leader so I kind of think the main leader needs to be aware of this so she has insight into her character for future leadership issues. But, I don’t know. I shall pray about what to do.

Praying that the Lord will lead you in what to do.  And I can soooooo relate.  Not saying that this is the case with you, but I have learned that, for me, a lot of times the slights are more in my mind than in reality.  I can be quick to assume someone is thinking poorly of me, when in reality they aren't even thinking about me at all.

6/30/2015 1:59 pm  #68

Proverbs 12
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband,
   But she who brings shame is like rottenness to his bones (12:4)

Observation
An excellent wife behaves discreetly, she does not gossip.  She works diligently and is not slothful.  Others look at her and think that her husband is lucky to have married her.  But a wife that brings shame, gossips and is lazy.  Her house is not kept and people look at her husband with pity.

Application
As I strive to be an excellent wife I need to focus not only on the physical side of our home – making sure that the house is clean, that the laundry is done.  I also must focus on keeping and cultivating a spirit of peace in our home.

6/30/2015 2:57 pm  #69

“The righteous should choose his friends carefully,
                                          For the way of the wicked leads them astray.”
                                                      (Proverbs 12:26) 

Friendship

I recently read an article about friendship that said our IQ is made up by the average of our five closest friends’ intelligence.

Then, the article insisted if you wanted to move forward and be smarter you needed new friends. I was taken back by this suggestion.

Isn’t friendship more about kindness, love, and companionship than getting ahead? I think so…what about you?

Now, that I am reading this verse perhaps the author of the article wasn’t so off track in his advice. But his presentation may have been lacking kindness. It was to blunt.

I think it’s about balance we need friends in our life that need us; we help them grow and in turn we grow as well. But we also need friends that are more experienced in an area that we would like more knowledge in. There are only 24 hours in a day. Some of my best times with friends is when we can be together in a group so everyone can see each other at once. This can be hard to plan but so rewarding…

“Two are better than one,
                                        Because they have a good reward for their labor.
                                    For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.”
                                                           (Ecclesiastics 4:9)

The Gift of Friendship

Theresnoplacelike Home

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (6/30/2015 2:58 pm)

6/30/2015 7:54 pm  #70

Scripture: "An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who causes shame is like rottenness to his bones" Proverbs 12:4

Observation: The wording of this verse is so powerful to me. Wives are supposed to be helpers to their husbands. In a marriage two people are joined together and they become one flesh. When one half of the flesh is not being helpful and being a good example of a Christian wife, the whole flesh fails. The husband cannot be effective when the wife is causing shame.

Application: When I get married this will be a verse I need to keep in mind a lot. I will need to be the crown of my husband and not rottenness to his bones.

Board footera