Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2015 2:53 pm  #91

Re: Proverbs

I have been doing the readings, but finding time to post has been a bit difficult.  Life is crazy right now.

Proverbs 17
A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding
  than a hundred blows to a fool (17:10)

Observation
A fool will not pay attention to criticism or rebuke.  She will not accept discipline or correction.  But a wise person will judge the criticism and determine whether there is merit to it.  And, if there is, will make the necessary changes to her behavior.

Application
It is very easy to dismiss criticism as being wrong and “mean,” but when we do that we are acting the part of the fool.  God will use others to point out where we need to grow and change so we must be willing to honestly evaluate it and determine through prayer what application to make.

7/08/2015 9:00 am  #92

Proverbs 16 
16:3 Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. ESV
16:3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. NIV

Commit – roll upon; total trust and submission

From the Matthew Henry commentary: Roll thy works upon the Lord (so the word is); roll the burden of thy care from thyself upon God. Lay the matter before him by prayer. Make known thy works unto the Lord (so some read it), not only the works of thy hand, but the workings of thy heart; and then leave it with him, by faith and dependence upon him, submission and resignation to him. The will of the Lord be done. We may then be easy when we resolve that whatever pleases God shall please us.

I need to give my works to God, put them before Him for His purpose and He will establish my future and my path. I need to not put my works before myself for my use and my purpose. I must submit my efforts to God and not get hung up or stressed about what I am doing, but do my best and trust it to God and submit to His plans. But I must also make sure the work I am doing is really for His benefit and not according to my desires and priorities.

16:9 We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps. NLT
16:9 We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it. TM

We think we are in control and we make plans, but God is the one who will determine what really happens. And it is God that we need to rely on to fulfill anything we plan.

Human responsibility is subject to God’s authority and sovereignty

16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. ESV

We should remember this when we try to justify our compromises. We justify our actions and make excuses for ourselves, but going our own way against God’s standards leads to death.

16:7 When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. NKJV

This is beautiful, that is we live rightly before God, it will result in peaceful living with others, even those that are against us.

16:1  1 The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.

I could not really get my mind around what this meant. So, I looked at some of the commentary.

Matthew Henry Commentary: The preparation of the heart is in man (he may contrive and design this and the other) but the answer of the tongue, not only the delivering of what he designed to speak, but the issue and success of what he designed to do, is of the Lord. That is, in short, 1. Man purposes. He has a freedom of thought and a freedom of will permitted him; let him form his projects, and lay his schemes, as he thinks best: but, after all, 1. God disposes.

I guess it kind of goes with verse 9: Human action is subject to God’s authority and sovereignty

7/08/2015 9:04 am  #93

itsjenniferrose wrote:

GMG Question
Surrendering our ways to the Lord can be difficult. As women, we have a tendency to want to control our circumstances. What is one tip you can share that has helped you surrender your plans to the Lord?

Being highly conscious in the present moment helps me surrender my plans to God. To be mindful when I'm too focused on the future or looking back into the past. Always in the present moment, God gives us the answers, directs and leads.

Yes, I can worry too much about things as well. What a good suggestion, "stay conscious in the present moment" and surrender the results to God. A much needed reminder for me. Especially lately. Excellent thought.

7/08/2015 9:06 am  #94

Michelle wrote:

I have been doing the readings, but finding time to post has been a bit difficult.  Life is crazy right now.

Same here. Also, sometimes I want to dig a little deeper and I am reading and studying upon the chapter, but have not had time to type out an organized response. I suppose if nothing else I should just post that I read and few verses that stood out. Just to let you ladies know I am still with you.

7/08/2015 11:47 am  #95

I’m afraid I’ve fallen very behind indeed! Not with the reading but with the posting - I think the last time I posted was Proverbs 8 and today we’re on 18! So, to make something positive out of this situation, I decided to summarise the chapters in-between and see what I came up with overall rather than posting about just one at a time.

Proverbs 9-18
1 - Characteristics of wise people: honesty, righteousness, grace, integrity, humility, mercy, generosity, they seek peace, understanding, wisdom, counsel and accept reproof. This contrasts with what Proverbs calls evil people who are proud, boisterous, naive, opinionated, arrogant, careless, contentious and who talk a lot and stir up trouble. (taken from all chapters)

2 - The importance of our words which are to be few and beneficial. (taken mainly from chapters 10 and 15)

3 - God is in control (Chapter 16)

4 - Live simply and enjoy what you have to the full. Pursue peace not possessions. (chapters 15 and 17)

5 - Be careful the company you keep. How to identify good friends and build good relationships with them. (chapters 13,14,17 and 18)

Last edited by Passionflower (7/08/2015 11:49 am)

7/08/2015 6:31 pm  #96

Love the summary Passionflower.

A fool’s mouth is his ruin
   And his lips are a snare to his soul.  (18:7)

Observation
The fool doesn’t watch what she says.  She speaks before she thinks.  Because of this, she gets into trouble.  Her words cause her many problems.

Application
I don’t think that it is a coincidence that the Lord keeps drawing me to verses about being foolish with words.  I know that this is an area that I struggle with, especially at work, but in other places as well.   But the Lord is gracious and has been showing me my sin, and, through His grace, I am getting better at controlling my tongue.

7/09/2015 7:28 am  #97

Proverbs 17

17:1 Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife.
 How unpleasant strife is. Sometimes we don’t make enough effort to avoid strife.

17:14 The beginning of strife is like letting out water, so quit before the quarrel breaks out.
We need to not even let strife start to build up.

We can avoid strife and stop it before it starts by:
- being slow to anger, slow to speak (James 1:19)
- overlooking transgressions (Prov 18:11)
- not being prideful (Prov 13:10)
- not being impulsive (Prov 14:29)
- not being envious (Prov 14:30)
- speaking graciously (Prov 15:1)
- thinking before we speak (Prov 15:28)
- not controlling our emotions (Prov 16:32)
- using words with restraint and being even tempered (Prov 17:27)
- disregarding and overlooking other people’s faults (Prov 17:9)
- not paying back evil but leaving revenge to God (Rom 12:17,19)

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

17:12 Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool in his folly.
It is so important to stay away from foolish people. It can really be destructive to us. We have seen similar admonishment in other verses as well.

7/09/2015 8:01 am  #98

Michelle wrote:

Love the summary Passionflower.

A fool’s mouth is his ruin
   And his lips are a snare to his soul.  (18:7)

Observation
The fool doesn’t watch what she says.  She speaks before she thinks.  Because of this, she gets into trouble.  Her words cause her many problems.

Application
I don’t think that it is a coincidence that the Lord keeps drawing me to verses about being foolish with words.  I know that this is an area that I struggle with, especially at work, but in other places as well.   But the Lord is gracious and has been showing me my sin, and, through His grace, I am getting better at controlling my tongue.

Agreed, the summarizes are nice because it kind of puts all the concepts in one place.

And yes, Michelle, regarding words, tongue and speaking - same for me. I just finished chapter 18 and that is what really jumped out to me as well.

And it is really much harder at work because of the stress, expectations, and pressure.

7/09/2015 8:02 am  #99

Proverbs 18

18:1 Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.
Does not want to listen to what anyone else says because it is all about him, just wants his own way, is not interested in hearing good advice because just wants to do what pleases him.

18:2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Only cares about his own opinions and is not interested in understanding anyone else

18:7 A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul.
Wow, when we don’t control our speech we are really foolish. Very embarrassing to think how foolish I have been when I have not controlled my speech.

18:14 A healthy spirit conquers adversity, but what can you do when the spirit is crushed?
18:14 The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear it if the spirit is crushed?
This is why it is so important to stay strong spiritually. If our spirit is strong we can endure hardships, but it our spirit is weak, we cannot stand. That is why it is so important to stay in the Word and to spend time in focused prayer so that our spirit can be strong and so sustain us when the trials come.

18:20-21 From the fruit of his mouth a man's stomach is filled; with the harvest from his lips he is satisfied. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
If I want to be filled with good things, I need to make sure good things come out of my mouth. Our words can build us up.

18:24 A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Another admonishment to be careful of the friends we have. We cannot just run with the crowd. Jesus will be the best friend we could ever have.

7/09/2015 8:06 am  #100

You know, I am actually finding Proverbs to be harder than even Leviticus or any of the other books. It is like Philosophy, and although I was a Philosophy minor, it is still challenging. There are so many principles in one chapter (sometimes 10-15 or more) and half the time you read a statement you are not even sure what exactly the writer is talking about.

That is one of the reasons it is hard for me to keep up. I have to spend so much time reading numerous translations and commentaries to really get a handle on what is being communicated.

Board footera