Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2015 2:10 pm  #101

Re: Proverbs

I too have found the summaries very interesting. Isn’t it wonderful how God uses everything to help us? Even when we thought we’d been lapse in keeping up, He’s gone and used it for our good!
I’m finding that within each proverb the subject jumps about quite a bit, they’re neither linear nor discrete, with many things repeated over several chapters. Of course this means, in a study group like ours, each one of us is picking out something unique which speaks directly to us on that day. I’m finding that really interesting. Likewise I believe that if I were to read the same proverb but on different days there would still be something unique which spoke to me because my circumstances would be different every time. For that reason, I’m realising that the wisdom in this book is truly endless. There seems so much in it. That can feel overwhelming at times but it also makes me realise how awesome God is.
....and the fear of the Lord is the beginning of all wisdom!

7/09/2015 2:20 pm  #102

Proverbs 19 - I have no idea what ths chapter means to me today, it just seems to be all over the place. I'm going to wait a couple of days and see what God wants me to notice from it. At the moment, I think it might be verses 20-23 which in themselves are a little bit like a summary of the themes we have seen up to now: listen to counsel and accept discipline, God is in control, be kind and honest, fear the Lord and live in peace and safety. Maybe that's it?

7/09/2015 11:47 pm  #103

Proverbs 17

Scriptures
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.

A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered. Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭17‬:‭9, 27-28‬ NLT)

Application
The first scripture I find so crucial to maintaining joy and happines Is just letting go of faults from loved ones. It's easy to hold on to them for long as you get older, but we must fight to forgive and just let go. One day we wil want the same forgiveness.

The last two scriptures reminds me I don't always have to be overly communicative to be seen intelligent or wise. And being a woman of few words helps protect your heart and soul.

7/10/2015 12:17 am  #104

Proverbs 18

Upon reading chapter 18 and thinking on 17, there's continued reference to a "crushed spirit" and the tongue leading you down a foolish path. As I see a few of you have mentioned, I struggle with this as well. Thankfully God is gracious and I have quite a bit of friends left LOL. I do see how it really hinders my romantic relationships as well as work. And it keeps me in the same spot. Through his strength and renewal, I'm being transformed. But when I see myself as sounding like a fool. That really drives it home, and helps me be more mindful.

And speaking of a healthy spirit, I love The Message version:
A cheerful disposition is good for your health; gloom and doom leave you bone-tired. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭17‬:‭22‬ MSG)

We should all wake up cheerful no matter what is going on because we are alive and made new everyday! We have God on our side.
Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. (‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭16-18‬ MSG)

7/10/2015 1:52 pm  #105

TBG wrote:

You know, I am actually finding Proverbs to be harder than even Leviticus or any of the other books. It is like Philosophy, and although I was a Philosophy minor, it is still challenging. There are so many principles in one chapter (sometimes 10-15 or more) and half the time you read a statement you are not even sure what exactly the writer is talking about.

That is one of the reasons it is hard for me to keep up. I have to spend so much time reading numerous translations and commentaries to really get a handle on what is being communicated.

I know what you mean.  Maybe try focusing on only one verse that the Lord lays on your heart.  That's what I've been trying to do.

7/10/2015 1:53 pm  #106

Proverbs 20

Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets;
   therefore do not associate with a simple babbler (20:19)

Observation
If someone is willing to gossip to you about another, do not think that they aren’t doing the same to you.  And if you are willing to gossip about others, do not be surprised when people do not confide in you.

Application
Our speech should always be discreet.  We must always guard our tongues, but especially when it comes to discussing other people.  There are a list of “rules” and I wish I could remember them, but they start off something like 1. Is it true; 2. Is it edifiying.

7/13/2015 3:00 am  #107

I didn’t really ‘get’ proverbs 20.
In Proverbs 21 I saw that even though we think we are right, really God’s way is the only way (verses 2 and 30). His way is the pursuit of righteousness and justice (verse 3). This will lead to life and honour (verse 21). We are to guard our tongues if we want to have peace and stay true (verse 23).

7/13/2015 11:15 am  #108

Sorry Ladies,
I was gone all day yesterday from 8 AM - 11 PM! And I was gone all morning at dental apt and errands.

But just 10 chapters left until our special week focusing on Proverbs 31!

Week of July 13
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 21
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
It is easy to see the flaws in others. Yet, often times we miss our own spiritual flaws. What areas has God revealed to you that you need to work on?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 22
Today we are reminded to be watchful for those in need and extend ourselves to help them. Think of something you can do to help someone you come into contact with today.

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 23
It's easy to be tempted to sin. Even more so when we put ourselves in the direct path of temptation.We are warned we need to be double guarded in these moments. What are some ways that we can safe guard ourselves?

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 24
Today we are reminded not to envy sinners and their riches. How has God worked on your heart in this area?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 25
From today's reading we are given instructions on how to handle conflict with others. What are some of the areas of dealing with conflict do you need to work on?

Memory Verse

7/13/2015 2:47 pm  #109

Proverbs 21
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
   but the Lord weighs the heart.
To do righteousness and justice
   is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice (21:2-3)

We can act the part of a ‘good’ and ‘proper’ Christian.  We can look on others and think that they are great men and women of the faith.  However, we only see the outside and others don’t see our hearts.  God does, though.  God sees past what we do and examines our heart.  He would rather that our hearts are right than our keeping of all the religious ‘stuff.’  And, if our hearts are right, the sacrifices, the behaviors, the outside stuff come as an outflow.

Micah 6:6-8 is the perfect summation.

7/13/2015 4:15 pm  #110

Thankyou, Michelle. That is an excellent review of Proverbs 21 and thankyou for the further bible reference too.

Board footera