Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2015 7:59 pm  #111

Re: Proverbs

Proverbs 21

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
It is easy to see the flaws in others. Yet, often times we miss our own spiritual flaws. What areas has God revealed to you that you need to work on?

Answer
He's revealed my temper on several occasions, LOL. Also, complaint/bemoaning and lack of patience. But thank God for mercy and awareness. It's a beautiful thing to be flawed as you must rely on Jesus and his direction. God, we thank you for the good and bad, and trust in you with all our hearts. Continue to Renew our minds, hearts and spirits to be better and loving people.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (7/13/2015 8:02 pm)

7/14/2015 9:46 am  #112

Proverbs 19
19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
Very important for me to remember and focus on. I get so focused on my plans and my ways, but God is the one who will ultimately control and direct everything.

We also see this in the world. God will ultimately control all things. And even when things look totally out of control, He still has a plan and a purpose.

19:3 A man's own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the LORD.
This really stood out to me because I have seen this with people I know and care about.

Things just don’t go right in their lives and they get bitter and angry with God. But, in these specific cases I am thinking of, they were not living wisely and rightly before God. It was their own folly, their own unwillingness to submit to and serve God that led to their problems, and yet, they blame God for not being faithful, when it was they who were not faithful.

Or, they have an idea of how they think life should go or what they think they deserve to have. And instead of being grateful for the blessing God has put in their lives, they are bitter for the things He has not given them.

19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
This one was interesting because bad things do happen to godly people who fear God. So, I dug a little deeper in a commentary. This is the insight from it.
They may be visited with sickness or other afflictions, but there shall be no evil in them.
They shall abide satisfied; they shall be satisfied and have a constant contentment and complacency in them.

7/14/2015 10:11 am  #113

Michelle wrote:

TBG wrote:

You know, I am actually finding Proverbs to be harder than even Leviticus or any of the other books. It is like Philosophy, and although I was a Philosophy minor, it is still challenging. There are so many principles in one chapter (sometimes 10-15 or more) and half the time you read a statement you are not even sure what exactly the writer is talking about.

That is one of the reasons it is hard for me to keep up. I have to spend so much time reading numerous translations and commentaries to really get a handle on what is being communicated.

I know what you mean.  Maybe try focusing on only one verse that the Lord lays on your heart.  That's what I've been trying to do.

Good suggestion. The perfect is the enemy of the good, right? I spend so much time trying to unravel every part of the chapter that I cannot at least post one thought that God showed me. I have always had this problem that I have to do something completely 100% so I never have time because I won't do good enough or it takes so much time that I can't do other things.

7/14/2015 10:14 am  #114

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Proverbs 17

Scriptures
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.

Similar idea stood out to me in chapter 19. It had been a memory verse for me in the past. 19:11b it is for my glory, honor, respect and reputation to choose to overlook an offense.

7/14/2015 3:44 pm  #115

Passionflower - there's actually a song that I used to sing years ago that was the passage from Micah set to music.

7/14/2015 3:47 pm  #116

Proverbs 22

Make no friendship with a man given to anger
   nor go with a wrathful man,
lest you learn his ways
   and entangle yourself in a snare (22:24-25)

Observation
The company we keep both influences us and it influences what other people think of us.  If we keep company with one who is angry, we will begin to share in their anger.  Also, even if we don’t share in their anger, because we are associated with them, people will assume that we do share their anger and it becomes a snare to us.  The same is true for any other habit – good or bad that they may have.

Application
I need to be diligent, especially at work, with who I associate with.  Certain people have certain reputations and I don’t want that reputation by proxy.

7/15/2015 4:19 am  #117

Michelle wrote:

Proverbs 22

Make no friendship with a man given to anger
   nor go with a wrathful man,
lest you learn his ways
   and entangle yourself in a snare (22:24-25)

Observation
The company we keep both influences us and it influences what other people think of us.  If we keep company with one who is angry, we will begin to share in their anger.  Also, even if we don’t share in their anger, because we are associated with them, people will assume that we do share their anger and it becomes a snare to us.  The same is true for any other habit – good or bad that they may have.

Application
I need to be diligent, especially at work, with who I associate with.  Certain people have certain reputations and I don’t want that reputation by proxy.

Well put! and I agree with that wholeheartedly. It's so good to have God's word to back us up on this though as I've found those 'popular' people we're avoiding are never too pleased that we won't play along with their game.

7/15/2015 6:20 am  #118

Proverbs 22 - I’m finding that these latest Proverbs are quite convoluted. Does anyone know anything about the writer? Are they all written by Solomon or are some written by someone else?

7/15/2015 9:00 am  #119

Proverbs 21

21:2-3 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart. To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
We think that we are good and that we do good acts, but God will examine our heart motives and attitudes. God does not want religious activity, but purity of heart.

21:9 Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.
21:19 Better to dwell in the wilderness, Than with a contentious and angry woman.

This takes me back to Proverbs 14:1 about a woman tearing her house down with her own hands. We need to be careful with being contentious, quarrelsome, and controlling. We should be the source that builds up our home, husbands, children, families, church, friends, and community.

I like how on this board we try to encourage and build each other up. It is great to have a group to share with and study with. Thanks!

21:20 Precious treasure and oil are in a wise man's dwelling, but a foolish man devours it.
A wise person has treasures but foolish ones just squander everything they have and end up with nothing. This is talking about having nice possessions by not squandering money on silly things or blowing through all of your money so that there is nothing left to buy anything nice.

However, this made me think of something else. It made me think of the fact that my money is my treasure and I can squander it on nice material possessions or use it for more eternal and meaningful things. This hits home because we purchased a home recently and I am in the process of buying furniture and making some home improvements. It made me stop and think about the spending decisions I am making.

How do we as believers spend our money? Many nice, comfortable, middle-class believers spend money on more and more material possessions. But, is this squandering the money God gave us? Do we need all this stuff? Are we squandering God’s resources or investing for the future and investing for the kingdom and investing in others?

A close family friend died a year ago. We had to go through all of her things and either sell them or give them away. She had so many nice things and expensive things. But, you know taste have changed and times have changed and a lot of the things that were once nice, no one really wanted. Even me. I appreciated that some of the things were nice and had been expensive, but they just were not things I wanted. But, our neighbor had so highly valued these things and treasured her possessions. But, what was the value of them in the end?

It was kind of a reminder that all these things really are not important. Sometimes we are more worried about other people approving of our things, than what we just need or don’t need. Or, we see what someone else has and think we want that to.

21:21 Whoever pursues righteousness and kindness will find life, righteousness, and honor.

7/15/2015 9:08 am  #120

Michelle wrote:

Passionflower - there's actually a song that I used to sing years ago that was the passage from Micah set to music.

I remember that song. I found it on YouTube.

Board footera