Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2015 9:16 am  #121

Re: Proverbs

Passionflower wrote:

Proverbs 22 - I’m finding that these latest Proverbs are quite convoluted. Does anyone know anything about the writer? Are they all written by Solomon or are some written by someone else?

From John MacArthur study Bible:
While King Solomon is the author of the didactic sections (Prov 1-9) and the proverbs of 10:1-22:16, he is liekly only the compliler of the "sayings of the wise" in 22:17-24:34, which are of an uncertain date before Solomon's reign. Chapters 25-29 were originally composed by Solomon (25:1) but copied and included later by king Hezekiah.

So, the first part of Chapter 22 was written by Solomon, but starting verse 17 were well known sayings.

I also find them to be cryptic sometimes. It helps me to look at other translations. The link to Bible Study Toolslets you read it in different translations. I start with NKJV and ESV. Then if still confused progress to NIV. Then lastly these translations a less accurate but sometimes just help me see it differently I look at NLT and The Message.

Also on this site is the study tab at the top that has commentaries. The Matthew Henry commentary is always great. There is also a condensed Matthew Henry.

7/15/2015 5:20 pm  #122

Proverbs 22

22:1 A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold.
We should really live lives above reproach.

22:3 A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
We need to alert and watchful of Satan’s snares.

1 Peter 5:8 (NIV) Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

1 Peter 5:8 (NKJV) Be sober, be vigilant;

1 Peter 5:8 (NLT) Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil.

And also

1 Peter 1:13 (NIV) Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.

7/16/2015 2:26 am  #123

Thanks for the YouTube link, I can stop Googling fruitlessly now! I'm really liking that version. Isn't it great how songs help us remember what the Bible says?
Thanks too for the Bible study advice and explanation of writers. I'm going to use all that on Proverbs 23 and 24 - I might be some time!

7/16/2015 8:17 am  #124

Passionflower wrote:

Thanks for the YouTube link, I can stop Googling fruitlessly now! I'm really liking that version. Isn't it great how songs help us remember what the Bible says?
Thanks too for the Bible study advice and explanation of writers. I'm going to use all that on Proverbs 23 and 24 - I might be some time!

Yes, I know that is why sometimes I get behind. I do my reading, but I have to read it 3-4 times and study it to figure out what it is saying. I guess I never really read Proberbs before. Just kind of gleaned from it. When you really sit down to read it, you are like, "what!?!"

7/16/2015 8:42 am  #125

Proverbs 23

23:17-19 Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the LORD all the day. Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off. Hear, my son, and be wise, and direct your heart in the way. (ESV)

23:17-19 Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; for surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off. Hear, my son, and be wise; and guide your heart in the way (NKJV)

It is easy to envy the things we see people having that are not living for God. But, this is a great reminder that God has given us a future and a hope (if not in this life then in the next).

Direct – to manage or guide by advice, to regulate the course of; control,

We need to be passionate and fanatical for God and control and manage our hearts to make grow and make progress toward desiring God’s ways.

23:26 My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways. (ESV)
Although it appears this verse is referring to a son and his earthly father, I thought it should also be my attitude towards my heavenly Father. What a beautiful thought that I should give God my heart and keep my eyes on His ways as a small child watched his dad.

I am a big football fan and a big Peyton Manning fan. For those of you who don’t know, Peyton Manning is a large and tall man. He brought his toddler son to the Pro Bowl on the sidelines. And here this huge man in all these pads is walking around and behind him this little boy stayed so close to his dad and just toddled along behind him going wherever he went. Peyton did not even have to hold his hand or keep up with him, the little boy just kept himself attached right to his dad’s side and faithfully followed his dad wherever he went.

7/16/2015 5:13 pm  #126

Ok, so I did that and ended up with a couple of vague ideas rather than a direct scripture to meaning correlation. Here goes...

PROVERBS 23 - Don't got addicted to food or drink. These things will stop you moving forwards. Seek instruction and understanding instead, these things will help you grow. Don't let yourself be trapped by those offering wealth and recognition. Listen to good advice (lots of that in the Bible). Don't try and drink away your problems - you'll only make them worse.

PROVERBS 24 - Don't envy the wicked with their get-rich-qquick schemes and their show-off lifestyles. Build your own life right and on solid foundations; strategic planning will win through in the end. It's not what you have now that counts but what you get at the end; no-one ever remembers the half-time score.

Not sure I could point to exactly where that lot came from but that's what I ended up with so I guess that's what God wanted to show me today ;)

7/17/2015 12:30 am  #127

Proverbs 22

True humility and fear of the LORD lead to riches, honor, and long life. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭22‬:‭4‬ NLT)

His scripture really spoke to me. We live in a world where everyone is so arrogant and me, me, me. So many CEOs are crazy and have superegos. It's hard to feel you will succeed and make waves when you're the antithesis of that. But when we do things God's way, we end up with wealth, long line, honor, etc without having to push our way through.

7/17/2015 12:30 am  #128

Love this! And it got me excited to read these chapters.

Passionflower wrote:

Ok, so I did that and ended up with a couple of vague ideas rather than a direct scripture to meaning correlation. Here goes...

PROVERBS 23 - Don't got addicted to food or drink. These things will stop you moving forwards. Seek instruction and understanding instead, these things will help you grow. Don't let yourself be trapped by those offering wealth and recognition. Listen to good advice (lots of that in the Bible). Don't try and drink away your problems - you'll only make them worse.

PROVERBS 24 - Don't envy the wicked with their get-rich-qquick schemes and their show-off lifestyles. Build your own life right and on solid foundations; strategic planning will win through in the end. It's not what you have now that counts but what you get at the end; no-one ever remembers the half-time score.

Not sure I could point to exactly where that lot came from but that's what I ended up with so I guess that's what God wanted to show me today ;)

7/17/2015 8:42 am  #129

Proverbs 24

24:3-4 Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; By knowledge the rooms are filled With all precious and pleasant riches.

Wisdom – shrewd, wise
Built - made permanent, established
Understanding - Intelligence, reason, to make sense of
Established - to be firm, be stable, be secure, be enduring

By making wise decisions and being a wise person we are able to build our life, to create and put it into place, to set it up. By applying our intellect to understanding and reasoning things through it can be made stable and secure. By knowledge, gaining information and learning, it is adorned with beautiful things.

24:11-12 Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter. If you say, "Surely we did not know this," Does not He who weighs the hearts consider it? He who keeps your soul, does He not know it? And will He not render to each man according to his deeds?

It is not loving for us to encourage people in their sin when we know that it is leading them away from God and to eternal destruction and separation from God. That is not love. And to pretend that it is not our issue or that is has nothing to do with us or that we are not involved will not get us off the hook. God knows the truth if we are unwilling to love people enough to try and reach them with the truth.

It is so sad. I look around at my neighbors, how many of them do not know the Lord and do not know God’s truth? Am I just going to sit here and watch them walk off a cliff into an eternity of destruction?

24:13-14 My son, eat honey because it is good, And the honeycomb which is sweet to your taste; So shall the knowledge of wisdom be to your soul; If you have found it, there is a prospect, And your hope will not be cut off.

God’s word needs to be sweet to us and we should desire it as we would desire fresh pure honey. As we fill our hearts with His wisdom, it will preserve us and give us hope for the future – even if the hope must wait until after this life in eternity.

Good memory verse:
24:17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;

Verse 18 adds: Lest the Lord see it, and it displease Him, And He turn away His wrath from him.

I was saddened when people celebrated death of Bin Laden. I was relieved that he was stopped, and I was satisfied that justice was served. But, I don’t rejoice in the destruction of any human.

It was overall tragic: tragic that he rejected truth and turned from God, tragic that he gave himself over to Satan, tragic that he destroyed his hope for the future, tragic that a life God could have used and that God loved was forfeited.

So, it was just and right that he was killed, but it is overall a story of tragedy and loss of precious potential, not something to be celebrated.

7/17/2015 9:15 am  #130

As I was reading Proberbs 25, this verse stood out to me.

25:26 Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.

Then I went over to the Friday devotional on GMG, and boy is it a powerful post on this same verse. Hope everyone takes time to read it. When the Righteous Fall

Board footera