Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2015 7:47 pm  #131

Re: Proverbs

If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
                                   And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
                                   For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,

And the Lord will reward you.”
                                                    (Proverbs 25: 21-22)

God tells us in his word not to overcome evil with evil but to overcome evil with good. This verse illustrates why this is so true. When we do well to our enemy it is as if we are melting away any misperceptions, ill-will, and animosity. It is difficult to continue to hold contempt towards another when they are blessing us. If we continue steadfastly with good will towards our enemy, eventually our enemy will be overcome will goodness. And we will have a restored relationship.      

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (7/17/2015 7:49 pm)

7/18/2015 4:55 am  #132

PROVERBS 25 - If you have a disagreement with someone you should sort it out between yourselves and in private (verses 8-10). It is painful when you have placed your trust in someone who then lets you down (verse 19) but don’t let yourself be dragged down to their level (verse 26). Instead be extra nice to them, they won’t be able to stand up against that (verses 21-22).

7/19/2015 3:31 pm  #133

Week of July 20
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 26
Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Lies and gossip go hand in hand. As women, we need to guard ourselves around gossip. What are some practical ways you guard your lips from lying and gossip.

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 27
Iron sharpens Iron. Do you have accountable relationships? What do you look for in these kind of relationships?

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 28
Our hearts can't be trusted - but the Lord can be trusted. What is something you need to let go and trust God for.

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 29
Pride destroys- it will bring you low. Humility is when you keep yourself low to begin with. How can you keep pride down and stay humble?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 30
God's Word is pure and can be trusted. Share about a time when God spoke to you specifically out of His Word.

Memory Verse

Last edited by TBG (7/20/2015 7:52 am)

7/20/2015 12:55 pm  #134

Hopefully this week won’t be so crazy and I’ll be able to post

Proverbs 26
Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
   There is more hope for a fool than for him (26:12)

Observation
When we are wise in our own eyes we do not have a teachable spirit.  There is more hope for someone whose first impulse is to ignore correction – the fool – than there is for someone that doesn’t believe that it applies to him.

Application
When faced with correction, do I immediately dismiss it?  Do I evaluate it to see if there is truth to it?  Am I defensive?  Or, do I have a teachable spirit?  Do I listen to the Holy Spirit?  Am I receptive to those that the Lord is using to teach me?

7/21/2015 2:33 pm  #135

Proverbs 27
A continual dripping on a rainy day
  and a quarrelsome wife are alike;
to restrain her is to restrain the wind
   or to grasp oil in one’s right hand (27:15-16)

Observation
Chinese water torture doesn’t involve submerging someone in water.  Instead it is dripping water on someone’s forehead.  It is effective torture.  A quarrelsome wife is compared to a constant dripping – that maddening dripping that won’t stop but slowly drives someone mad.

Application
When faced with problems or disagreements at home we have two choices.  We can calmly bring them to our husband’s attention and discuss – and then let it go, or we can nag and fight about it.  And like, verse 16 states, once we start nagging and quarrelling, it is hard to restrain our tongues and attitudes.  The end result is not pretty.

7/24/2015 1:38 am  #136

Proverbs 27

“Just as water mirrors your face, so your face mirrors your heart.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭27:19‬ ‭MSG‬‬
http://bible.com/97/pro.27.19.msg

This version is spot on. What you're  thinking and feeling in your heart can be written all over you face. It's a reminder to be constantly mindful of our thoughts and emotions so we can be seen in the best shining light possible.

7/25/2015 9:40 am  #137

Ladies, Thanks for keeping things going this week. It has been a crazy week for me. I was out of town for a speaking engagement that I also then of course had to prepare for. And, surprise, I was told by our case worker that they had a child they wanted us to Foster for a week. This is our first foster kid so had to scramble to get a room and stuff ready. He is so precious. So blessed to be able to love on him this week.

So, here are some of by backlogged submissions.

Proverbs 25 
25:4 Take away the dross from the silver, and the smith has material for a vessel
God needs to take away our dross (all the impure things in our hearts and lives) so we can be made into a useful vessel for God to pour into and to be used for His kingdom

25:22 If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you.
Just noticed this, the Lord will reward me for doing so.

25:26 Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.
When we give in to evil we defile ourselves and make ourselves of little use for God’s kingdom

25:28 A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
Lack of self control leaves us vulnerable to be taken over by anyone and anything – allow ourselves to be externally controlled because we are not internally controlled.

Proverbs 26
26:3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the fool’s back
As a bridle is used to force a donkey to go right, so when we act foolish only a rod will force us to go right because we are too foolish to fear God.

Proverbs 27
27:4 Wrath is cruel and anger a torrent, but who is able to stand before jealousy?
Jealously is over powering.

27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend. But, the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
The painful or difficult things to hear from people who really care about us are for our good. It is better to hear that then fake kisses from someone who hates us.

27:10b … Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother who is far away.
We need to cultivate intimate friendships with our neighbors.

27:12 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.
Do not just ignore danger. Recognize and remove yourself from temptation and ungodly or sinful situations.

7/26/2015 7:07 pm  #138

Week of July 27
This Week’s Reading Assignment

Coutney at Good Morning Girls will be blogging every single day next week. So there will be a post Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

If you’d like, you can read the FREE Proverbs 31 ebook alongside the Bible Study.

Monday
Reading: Proverbs 31:1-14
Key Verse: 31:10 An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
Proverbs ebook: Pages 1-11
How does it encourage you to realize the Proverbs 31 Woman probably didn’t do all of the activities listed here in one day?

Tuesday
Reading: Proverbs 31:15-18
Key Verse: 31:16 She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
Proverbs ebook: Pages 12-19
The woman in Proverbs 31 had a dream. She turned that dream into a plan that kept her active and benefitted her family. Do you have such a dream?

Wednesday
Reading: Proverbs 31:19-22
Key Verse: 31:21 She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
Proverbs ebook: Pages 20-26
The next season is fall. How are you preparing for the needs of your family for the next season?

Thursday
Reading: Proverbs 31:23-26
Key Verse: 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Proverbs ebook: Pages 27-33
Do you speak without a filter? In what ways can you work on being more kind with your words?

Friday
Reading: Proverbs 31:27-31
Key Verse: 31:31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
Proverbs ebook: Pages 34-42
What mundane task do you struggle with the most? How can you embrace joy in that area as you serve the Lord?

Last edited by TBG (7/31/2015 6:09 am)

7/27/2015 8:08 am  #139

Proverbs 31:1-14

31:11 The heart of her husband trust in her and he will have no lack of gain.

Am I always completely honest with my husband or do I seek to hide things I want to do that I know he does not want me doing (or spending) or do I try to manipulate him.

Another way to word trust is "to have confidence in." Reading the ebook really emphasized how our husbands should have (1) confidence in the fact that we spend money according to the values they have laid down for the family, (2) confidence in our diligence and hard work around the home (that we are not being lazy and wasting time), and (3) confidence that we will respond properly when under pressure.

There were more, but those three that I took to heart to focus on for my self - areas where I need to grow.

Then at the end of this verse it says that in this way I can bless my husband.

7/27/2015 3:02 pm  #140

Proverbs 31: 10-12 

"Who can find a virtuous wife?
                                                   For her worth is far above rubies.
                                           The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
                                                   So he will have no lack of gain.
                                             She does him good and not evil
                                                     All the days of her life.”

Proverbs 31 illustrates a woman who has no flaws and is the ideal wife, mother, and entrepreneur. Everywoman is described in this chapter whether you are a stay at home mom or a business woman.  

Yet, common sense tell us that there is no such thing as perfection or the ideal package.  
 “Who can find a virtuous wife?” A rhetorical question in which we know the answer—no one! 

It’s great to have high expectations but to place ourselves, as woman, to this standard is impossible. As I read through this chapter, I am impressed but not stressed. I see a vision or architype of perfection. Jesus represents that as well. We strive to be like Jesus, but know by our sinful nature we can never fill His shoes.  

The Proverbs 31 woman is a myth. She is the made up in the imagination of a mom wanting the best for her son.  

Again, “Who can find a virtuous woman?” The answer is no one. She is everything that none of us can be. But she is the vision of what we wish to become. Vision is good. The bible tells us,

“Without vision the people will perish.”  ( Proverbs 29:18)          

As I read this chapter, I am not discouraged but inspired. I do not compare but seek to learn from the expectations from yesteryears, and think what the Proverbs 31 woman would look like today for both myself and others.

Theresnoplacelike Home

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love"  

(1 Corinthians 13:13)

Last edited by Theresnoplacelike Home (7/27/2015 3:10 pm)

Board footera