Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2015 5:16 am  #41

Re: Acts

TBG wrote:

When I was teaching Sunday School the lesson plans are always about all the great triumphs in the Old Testament, David and Goliath, Joshuah and the Battle of Jericho. 

But, I think that does a disservice to kids to understand that God does not always work like that and that He has a plan and that plan is not always for certain things to go well on this earth. But, His plan is for eternal things.

So, I taught them that God usually has 3 purposes:

(1) To conform us to His image
(2) To edify the body of believers
(3) To reach the lost

And I encouraged them to look at things that happened in life from this perspective.

I love this...often I think that there needs to be more of this type of teaching mixed in with the stories...just teaching them the stories is not enough right? They need the gospel. Thank you for sharing that! I can so use ideas like these to teach my own children.

9/17/2015 5:24 am  #42

Yesterday in Acts 8 my focus was vs. 35
"Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with scripture he told the good news about Jesus"
And I just kept thinking, he opened his mouth, he opened his mouth, that is where I need to start because I am so afraid to open mine. I need to trust that the spirit can give me the words to speak. Why do I keep thinking God can't use me? That is just an excuse not to speak.

I am getting nervous about how God is using this study in me.     

9/17/2015 7:53 am  #43

Acts 9

What I saw in this chapter was the example of two people: Barnabas and Tabitha/Dorcas.

S: 26-27 And when he had come to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples. And, they were all afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple. But, Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles

O: When no one else would take a chance on Saul, Barnabas risked his life to do so. He was willing to see and believe the best in him. He was willing to risk himself to reach out to Saul. No wonder he was called Barnabas, which Acts 4:36 says means son of encouragement. And, he was a Levite, someone who would be very strong in the law, but he could balance that with encouragement and grace.

What a great guy.

S: 36 She was full of good works and acts of charity.
39 All the widows stood beside him weeping and showing tunics and other garments that Dorcas made while she was with them.

O: She spent her time serving others. She was not known for gossip, meddling, or superficial focus on her looks or getting power or seeking provenience for herself. She was a woman of service.

A: I just take encouragement from both of these individuals. Oh, to be a person like Barnabas, that is known be a source of encouragement, that does not lose hope in others, that will risk himself for others. And, now that my husband is in semi-retirement and I am working less, I really want to double down on the time I spend in service. I want to have a heart and be a woman of service.

S: 31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.

O: They lived with purity in their own lives because of their respect for God’s authority and law, and understanding of His sovereignty over them. In the midst of the persecution and the threats against them they lived in comfort because of this submission to God’s control and authority. And the result was that the church grew.

A: Well this is very pertinent to us today. I think if we as believers had a greater fear of God, meaning an awareness of the seriousness of His authority and sovereignty and holiness and standards, then we would live with greater personal purity in our lives. This would be the best witness to our societies and this would be our comfort in the midst of the wickedness and threats without and around us.

9/17/2015 7:59 am  #44

esuzannah wrote:

Yesterday in Acts 8 my focus was vs. 35
"Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with scripture he told the good news about Jesus"
And I just kept thinking, he opened his mouth, he opened his mouth, that is where I need to start because I am so afraid to open mine. I need to trust that the spirit can give me the words to speak. Why do I keep thinking God can't use me? That is just an excuse not to speak.

I am getting nervous about how God is using this study in me.

esuzannah,

I know, I am so excited that Courtney started this. I have never been able to do the read through the Bible in a year, because I cannot do 3-4 chapters a day. I like how I get to chew on a part of the Word and dig in without being rushed.

So, I started with her last year and it really does convict you and I just learn so much more and see so much richness in the Word. It is really exciting.

You should read our Leviticus thread. I thought, oh great, what am I going to get our of Leviticus. But, it ended being one of the most powerful studies I have done. Really confronts you with the holiness of God and with the need to truly commit your life, your heart, and your commitment to sell out to God and purify your life.

9/17/2015 11:30 am  #45

Acts 7

s:““But then those ‘fathers,’ burning up with jealousy, sent Joseph off to Egypt as a slave. God was right there with him, though—he not only rescued him from all his troubles but brought him to the attention of Pharaoh, king of Egypt. He was so impressed with Joseph that he put him in charge of the whole country, including his own personal affairs.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭7:9-10‬ ‭MSG‬‬
http://bible.com/97/act.7.9-10.msg

A: people will be jealous, mean to us, etc, but God has our back during the rough times when we feel enslsaved by work, others, etc. I believe God is always with us, and building us up, growing us up wherever we may be planted. And he will go greater things Than we expect or imagine, but we have to be faithful and hopeful.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (9/17/2015 11:31 am)

9/18/2015 12:34 am  #46

Acts 8

S: “A man named Simon had been a sorcerer there for many years, amazing the people of Samaria and claiming to be someone great. Everyone, from the least to the greatest, often spoke of him as “the Great One—the Power of God.” They listened closely to him because for a long time he had astounded them with his magic. But now the people believed Philip’s message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized. Then Simon himself believed and was baptized. He began following Philip wherever he went, and he was amazed by the signs and great miracles Philip performed.”
‭‭Acts of the Apostles‬ ‭8:9-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/act.8.9-13.

O: I love Simons enthusiasm and zest for the truth. He didn't get hung up on his ego and miss Phillips preaching. That's awesome.

9/20/2015 8:18 pm  #47

Week of September 21, 2015
This Week’s Reading Assignment

S.O.A.K. any verse of your choosing.

Don't forget to check the introduction on Mondays, going deeper links on Wednesday and the devotional on Friday at Good Morning Girls.

Monday
Good Morning Girls: Introduction to weekly reading
Reading: Acts 11
Verse of the Day: Acts 11:26
and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.

Optional GMG Discussion Question:
Peter was questioned about reaching out to the Gentile community. Have you ever been questioned about reaching out to someone who God has laid on your heart? How did you respond?

Tuesday
Reading: Acts 12
Verse of the Day: Acts 12:24
But the word of God increased and multiplied.

Peter was rescued by God from the hands of Herod. Have you ever had a time when God has stepped in and delivered you from a situation?

Wednesday
Good Morning Girls: Links and thoughts to go deeper
Reading: Acts 13
Verse of the Day: Acts 13:22
And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, 'I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.'

Paul and Barnabas spoke a message that was not received well. Have you ever had a conviction laid on your heart that was not received well? How did you handle it?

Thursday
Reading: Acts 14
Verse of the Day: Acts 14:22
strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.

Paul and Barnabas were referred to as gods. Yet, they remained humble and pointed all praise back to God. How do you remain humble when you are praised?

Friday
Good Morning Girls: Devotional
Reading: Acts 15
Verse of the Day: Acts 15:11
But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will."

Throughout history Christians have struggled with unity and contention. How have you handled these issues throughout your life?

9/21/2015 8:32 am  #48

Acts 10
God had promised to save all the world through Israel (specifically through Abraham). So, He has all of those ritualistic rules to separate Israel from others to preserve His people as unique, to preserve the line of descendants, and to preserve a holy people who worshiped Him. But, once the Messiah had come, there was no longer a reason for the distinction. So, He made it clear that there should be unity and that all were “clean” and accepted in His eyes.

Discussion question
Peter had been focusing on the Jewish community. Yet God laid it on Peter's heart that salvation was for all people. Name a time when you wrestled with the fact that someone was possibly undeserving of God's gift of salvation. How did you overcome it?

No, I have not struggled with this. In fact, the week they said Saddam Hussein was going to be executed, I was praying fervently for him to repent and come to salvation. People could not believe it.

Sometimes people think, how could you want someone so bad to be saved they deserve to be punished. Yes, I believe it is just for our government to punish. Romans says that is the proper role of government to punish wrong doers. This is proper and Biblical. But being justly punished is separate from salvation.

Salvation is about God choosing not to punish us, choosing not to give us what we deserve, but by grace giving us a reprieve because the punishment was already taken. So it is not unjust, the penalty was paid already so why would there be another punishment. There is only punishment when people decline to accept the offer to have the slate wiped clean.

But, I think the problem is sometime people don't really understand how bad they are. They think since they have not murdered anyone, stolen, or been involved in sexual sin, that they are basically a good person. They don't see their own heart. As you read the epistles you will see so many heart issues that "good" people have being condemned and God saying that His wrath is poured out against this. So, we need to all realize that yes, we are all that bad. And God chose to pay our penalty just as He can choose to pay the penalty of those we think are the worst.

9/21/2015 7:46 pm  #49

Acts 11

18 When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."

They did not reject the work that God was doing or question it through their own lense of understanding, but celebrated and glorified God for His great works.

20 But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus.

They had a heart for these devout people who were sincerely seeking God and just did not know His whole counsel. They did not just stay in their own sphere, but saw and loved others.

26 ...For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people.

I think we sometimes short change that in modern Christianity. People make a profession of faith and we are like, "great, hallelujah, they are saved now." And we don't spend the time to really disciple them and teach them the word.

I know people who have been Christians for years and are active in the church, yet they admit they don't know the word, don't read the word, and don't really think it is a big deal.

Now don't interpret this as a criticism of someone who has a heart and desire for the word and us just struggling with life and the flesh and their goals get thwarted. There can be things God puts on our hearts and we struggle to walk them out faithfully because we all still have our flesh with us and are in the ongoing process of spiritual maturity. So someone who does not struggle with the word may still be struggling with other things. So it does not make them more holy.

I am talking about people who have no interest, and really don't see the need or why it is a big deal one way or the other if they know the word.

So, I think this is a problem in the church, but does not apply to people reading here because if they had no interest and no heart, they would not be reading , even if they are inconsistent, there is obviously some desire and heart.

9/22/2015 4:59 am  #50

TBG wrote:

Acts 11

I think we sometimes short change that in modern Christianity. People make a profession of faith and we are like, "great, hallelujah, they are saved now." And we don't spend the time to really disciple them and teach them the word.

I agree....It was not until I was discipled that I began to grow and really know Christ and His Word.

Board footera