Women in the Word

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 1:44 am  #41

Re: Matthew Discussion

Matthew 12

Scripture
But Jesus knew what they were planning. So he left that area, and many people followed him. He healed all the sick among them, but he warned them not to reveal who he was. (‭Matthew‬ ‭12‬:‭15-16‬ NLT)

Observation
What an amazing example jesus is. He knew his people were turning their back on him, plotting and planning. Yet, he didn't let it rule his emotions or feelings, he just kept doing right and healing. Doing the will of God...forging ahead. He could have completely let it ruin his outlook on the people, but he didn't. He still expressed love. That's powerful.

Matthew 13

Scripture
And so he did only a few miracles there because of their unbelief. (‭Matthew‬ ‭13‬:‭58‬ NLT)

Observation
God won't continue to do miracles in your life if you don't believe he can

Application
If we want to see more miracles happen in our lives And long held dreams come true, we must believe God and only God can Make it happen and in his perfect timing.

Prayer
God, help us to not only hold on to our dreams, but truly believe you can do miracles.  Helps us to remove doubt when we get caught up in the worries, cares and minutia of life.

Last edited by itsjenniferrose (3/20/2015 1:45 am)

3/21/2015 1:18 pm  #42

itsjenniferrose wrote:

Matthew 12

Scripture
But Jesus knew what they were planning. So he left that area, and many people followed him. He healed all the sick among them, but he warned them not to reveal who he was. (‭Matthew‬ ‭12‬:‭15-16‬ NLT)

Observation
What an amazing example jesus is. He knew his people were turning their back on him, plotting and planning. Yet, he didn't let it rule his emotions or feelings, he just kept doing right and healing. Doing the will of God...forging ahead. He could have completely let it ruin his outlook on the people, but he didn't. He still expressed love. That's powerful.

Matthew 13

Scripture
And so he did only a few miracles there because of their unbelief. (‭Matthew‬ ‭13‬:‭58‬ NLT)

Observation
God won't continue to do miracles in your life if you don't believe he can

Application
If we want to see more miracles happen in our lives And long held dreams come true, we must believe God and only God can Make it happen and in his perfect timing.

Prayer
God, help us to not only hold on to our dreams, but truly believe you can do miracles. Helps us to remove doubt when we get caught up in the worries, cares and minutia of life.

Awesome thoughts! Miracles can only be done through our faith in action and unwavering belief in God.  Instead of thinking why isn't God healing the sick and the blind today...I should say: "Why do I not believe in the power of healing and miracles in an unwaving way." So much to think about with what you shared. Thank You!

And abide  faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.I Corinthians 13:13

3/23/2015 11:55 am  #43

This week's reading assignment is up. And I hope you all had the opportunity to read the excellent post about the Secret to Finding Rest. It seems many of us could use this word or encouragment in our lives right now.

3/24/2015 9:43 am  #44

Matthew 16

16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Church – called out ones
We are called out to be separate and set apart, and dedicated exclusively to the work of God. We are called out to triumph over death and to free ourselves and others from the power of hell.

16:24-27
 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

I must daily die to myself, my desires, my goals and live for Christ’s glory, Christ’s pleasure, Christ’s plans. This is hard. It is a constant distraction to focus on what I am trying to accomplish for the day and on my priorities. And this does play out into all areas of life and attitudes and behavior. Look at the example I shared about anger and bad attitudes. This happens when I am more focused on what I am trying to accomplish than I am on what God wants to do in and through me and in and through others.

Why do I want to gain things in this world if it means I will lose heavenly accolades? What gain do I have if I gain the whole world but lose an intimate relationship and walk with Christ Jesus and quench the presence of the Holy Spirit in my heart?

3/26/2015 8:59 am  #45

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  =small For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6-19-20).

"More important than buying clothes and accessories, electronic devices, trinkets, and gadgets –which are all earthly treasures– the bible tells us that we should lay up treasures in heaven where moths and rust can’t destroy them. But the good deeds that we do for our family and friends will last for eternity. These types of treasures have value of immeasurable worth because these acts of kindness carry on into eternity. In other words they will last forever.

Theresnoplacelike Home

3/27/2015 1:12 am  #46

This is so true. I do believe when we are overly focused and frustrated about our goals, where we are going in life, etc we are far away from the bigger picture of what God wants us to see. We get distracted fro his word and our faith and we resort to negative emotions.

TBG wrote:

Matthew 16

16:24-27
 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

I must daily die to myself, my desires, my goals and live for Christ’s glory, Christ’s pleasure, Christ’s plans. This is hard. It is a constant distraction to focus on what I am trying to accomplish for the day and on my priorities. And this does play out into all areas of life and attitudes and behavior. Look at the example I shared about anger and bad attitudes. This happens when I am more focused on what I am trying to accomplish than I am on what God wants to do in and through me and in and through others.

3/27/2015 1:18 am  #47

Matthew 16

Jesus knew what they were saying, so he said, “You have so little faith! Why are you arguing with each other about having no bread? Don’t you understand even yet? Don’t you remember the 5,000 I fed with five loaves, and the baskets of leftovers you picked up? Or the 4,000 I fed with seven loaves, and the large baskets of leftovers you picked up? Why can’t you understand that I’m not talking about bread? So again I say, ‘Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.’” (‭Matthew‬ ‭16‬:‭8-11‬ NLT)

Wow, this is so powerful. I really needed this reminder. If you have faith, God can make something out of nothing in your life, and enough to give away.

3/29/2015 6:50 pm  #48

Matthew 17
Scripture 17:20
He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."

Application
Trust in Him, not ourselves. Even when we feel weak in our faith. We only need the faith of a mustard seed. This reminds me of Mark 9:24 when a man with a sick child said “I do believe; help my unbelief." That is how I feel sometimes. I do believe, but my faith is weak and I need God to help my unbelief.

Scripture 17:22-23
As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day." And they were greatly distressed. They were greatly distressed because was not doing what they expected of Him. They expected Him to destroy Rome and rule and King on the earth right then. They were distressed by His plan to suffer and die because it was not what they thought should happen.

Application
How like this we are. We are distressed when we see that God’s plan does not line up with our plan.

3/29/2015 6:51 pm  #49

Matthew 18

Scripture 18:4
Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Application
A child has trusting dependence on parents. We need to have trusting dependence on God and not rely on our own righteousness.

Scripture 18:8
And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.

Application
Root it out, cut it out, anything that contributes to tempting me towards sin, anything that creates sinful thoughts: media, friends, circumstances, places, etc.

Scripture 18:32-33
Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?

Observation
The ten thousand talents was like millions of dollars today while a hundred denarii was equivalent to a few thousand dollars.

Application
We are like this. We don’t want to forgive people the wrongs they have committed against us. But we don’t really grasp just how deep the sins we have committed against God. We don’t get it, we don’t understand just how sinful we are, just how much, how frequently we wrong God and just how serious our trespasses are. So, we thank God for forgiving us, but we don’t want to forgive someone else because, well “you just don’t understand how badly they treated me.”

3/29/2015 6:52 pm  #50

Matthew 19 

Scripture 19:16-30
He was willing to do external acts of holiness but he was not willing to give his life to Jesus. He loved this world more and he was not willing to give up things in this world to serve God. What am not giving up that is preventing me from fully serving God? The things I desire. I am so focused on all these other things and on what I am not getting that I can’t fully serve God.

Matthew 20 

Scripture 20:10-11
Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house,

Application
People get upset when they think of an evil person coming to faith right before death. They think it is not fair that that person should be saved. This is because we think we have earned the right to be saved and the bad person on a death bed confession should not get the same as we have because they are bad.

No, we did not earn anything. God graciously chose to give us salvation when we only deserved death. The wages of the best of our work would only earn us death and damnation because we will always miss the mark. Even our good deeds are frequently done with poor motives. God chose to not give us what we deserve, which is death and instead give us what we did not earn, eternal life.

Board footera